Day 2: Cellar Hole Abandoned C. 1790. Abused Colonial Coins (Silver!) and More!

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I went back to a cellar hole along a colonial road that I found using lidar today. I called a buddy, and he was able to get out of work at 5pm, claiming he had a family problem :laughing7:. We then went to the location of a cellar hole, abandoned around 1790-1800. I was there yesterday for two hours, with my parents, and we found five colonial buttons and some colonial furniture pieces. Right away there today I found a colonial flat button. My buddy found one too. I then went into the thick overgrowth, full of poison ivy and ticks, and got a nice 79 on my T2. I pulled out, at 6 inches, the most beat up piece of colonial silver I have ever seen. It is around the size of a nickel, I am guessing that it is a one reale, but it is paper thin. Perhaps it is a 1600's piece of silver, that was dropped in the late 1700's. It is covered in deep gouges, and very worn, getting an ID is impossible, it could be a pine tree for all I know. I then got a deep big iron signal, dug around a foot, and found a colonial iron hoe head. Twenty feet away I got an 80 on my metal detector, six inches deep was another beat up coin, a toasted farthing sized coin. It is bent and toasted. Before I left I dug up another colonial button. I like the fact the there is almost no trash here. I found one rimfire bullet casing and said, "What! Really!", loudly, after finding a piece of late 19th century trash :laughing7:. More finds there in an hour and a half, than in all of 2017, until I found this site. When the weekend comes I will try to stay for a few hours. The fall will be good here, when all the overgrowth is dead.

DSC_0373.JPG DSC_0387.JPG DSC_0389.JPG DSC_0396.JPG DSC_0394.JPG DSC_0381.JPG DSC_0386.JPG DSC_0391.JPG DSC_0390.JPG

Upvote 24

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds.
Def, a new "Honey Hole" 'to save yr year.
GL in future hunts .

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I spent fifteen minutes of my free time this morning in paint, using my great drawing skills, to make a diagram of the layout of the old home site. I looked at all the cellar holes and foundations that I saw in the woods, right near each other, and kept track of their size and location. I even saw two tiny foundations right next to the road, on each side, that look like little horse shelters. I am sure that one, more narrow, cellar which only has three walls and is built into a bank, right next to the main one, is a small root cellar. There is also a huge foundation, around the size of my barn's foundation which is from the same time period. I am almost sure that this is from the house's barn. Where do you recommend I should stick around next time I go there?
cellarhole.png

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you view it like that, I believe that the whole thing was connected,like a long house. If you've ever been through Northwood,houses like that. Or the old farmhouses in other parts. There were usually 4 parts to these. That would mean that the front door would have been facing the road where wyou think the house stood. Where the root cellar was was a second connected house, probably a door in between the cellar and the road then the barn would face inward so the whole thing looked like a L. The trash was generally thrown in back off the main section so that would be good to look for for buttons and other relics. I got my civil war infantry button out of trash dump so good stuff can be there. Good luck out there. I don't know where you are in NH but maybe we could get out sometime for a hunt8-)

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a piece of bark from the rock I took a photo of it on lol. I realized after I took the photo, and brushed it off

So much for that theory! LOL!

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
If you view it like that, I believe that the whole thing was connected,like a long house. If you've ever been through Northwood,houses like that. Or the old farmhouses in other parts. There were usually 4 parts to these. That would mean that the front door would have been facing the road where wyou think the house stood. Where the root cellar was was a second connected house, probably a door in between the cellar and the road then the barn would face inward so the whole thing looked like a L. The trash was generally thrown in back off the main section so that would be good to look for for buttons and other relics. I got my civil war infantry button out of trash dump so good stuff can be there. Good luck out there. I don't know where you are in NH but maybe we could get out sometime for a hunt8-)

Northwood is quite a drive, but I have certainly been there, it is a beautiful town with a lot of history, a lot of beautiful historic buildings. I saw many like the one you described.

It seems like they tried to make these old houses eventually connect to the barn. My barn was completely redone in the 1850's, but kept all of the original mid 1700's posts and beams, I don't think it was moved though. My house is from the mid 1740's, and is one of those long houses with tons of additions. Perhaps my site once resembled my house.

Last edited:

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I was thinking . The other thing that happened with those type of houses were a fire would burn down all buildings since they were connected.

Javadroid

Silver Member
Jul 6, 2017
Northwest Arkansas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial silver would take my breath away... I'm looking forward to seeing more of what you pull out of this site! Keep us posted!

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the places for coins I think would be in front of the main house to the road ,around the corner on the side and in front of the barn in the L area.You could find some out back but I don't think they'd be prevalent there. The privy was usually in the L section of the house so there might be some cool bottles there if you have a probe to check.

OP
OP
coinman123

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
So the places for coins I think would be in front of the main house to the road ,around the corner on the side and in front of the barn in the L area.You could find some out back but I don't think they'd be prevalent there. The privy was usually in the L section of the house so there might be some cool bottles there if you have a probe to check.

I found the coins yesterday right on the front corner of the barn. It is pretty over grown out front, but I will brave through the vines and poison ivy next time. Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread