Day 9 - Barley Field 2...... SILVER Holiday!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my own again today for 5 hours 45mins, my arm & back canes now!

A good day today:

Hammered Silver of Charles I (Penny) - 1620s
Cut 1/2 Penny of Henry III - 1250s
1853 Silver Sixpence
1887 Silver Sixpence

I've had 4 hammered in 4 days ;D

3 scrappies
another Medieval Horse Pendant & close by the hanger
Livery Button
Interesting Victorian Bag Seal which sealed a bag of 'Guano' for the fields.

I need a rest :P

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 724
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 723
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 710
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 705
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 699
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 697
Upvote 0
Mr. Dugfinds,

You had another great detecting day, man! I bet you get bored digging those Roman coins though. :icon_scratch:

Keep it up!

Kirk

You have it too good! :D

Seeing that old hammered English silver was a reminder I'll need some help Id'ing the oldest coin ever dug off one of my sites. It's an early English penny but may be a little bit of a challenge because it's bent. As soon as I have a picture I'll post it, no question it dates way before anything we've ever found. Of course us three regulars who hunt together took a guest to the site and he dug it. ::)

Looks like a canny field you have there, wish I lived down south :D

Colonial KirkPA said:
Mr. Dugfinds,

You had another great detecting day, man! I bet you get bored digging those Roman coins though. :icon_scratch:

Keep it up!

Kirk

Never bore of digging roman coins even the scrappy ones, as its a sign of more to come!

i think i chose the wrong farm, a couple of scrappy nails is all i managed >:(

starting to get a bit disheartened now! so could you stop keep finding all that stuff and give someone else a chance??? :thumbsup:

shaun7 said:

starting to get a bit disheartened now! so could you stop keep finding all that stuff and give someone else a chance??? :thumbsup:

Disheartened in the UK? ::) I have a funny feeling that won't last long. :thumbsup:

I would agree Crusader is a _____!!! :D :D :D

shaun7 said:

It may only be the wrong field. Start with the smallest & try & cover every inch, even if it takes you 20 days. Don't give up on day 3 if you have found nothing.

20 days is a hundred pounds, i met a guy over on these fields today who has been shooting there for 22 years and he told me that the farmer who charges me a fiver a day owns " seven tenths of essex"

mind you he did metal detect years ago and he even made them at one time! :o

Iron Patch said:
shaun7 said:

Disheartened in the UK? ::) I have a funny feeling that won't last long. :thumbsup:

I would agree Crusader is a _____!!! :D :D :D

someone needs to steal his batteries :wink:

shaun7 said:
20 days is a hundred pounds, i met a guy over on these fields today who has been shooting there for 22 years and he told me that the farmer who charges me a fiver a day owns " seven tenths of essex"

mind you he did metal detect years ago and he even made them at one time! :o

Good point.

I guess you have a written agreement that he gives up all rights to the finds. ie If you get a Treasure put through the system he will not have any right to the money which could in theory be Thousands. If you don't have written agreement he will have a 50% share. He can't have his cake and eat it. You need to look at that agreement closely or try & negotiate a different one.

there is no agreament! he couldn't be any less interested and he's never asked what i've found :icon_scratch:

he just wants his five pounds!

what would happen if i did find something though?

shaun7 said:
there is no agreament! he couldn't be any less interested and he's never asked what i've found :icon_scratch:

This is what I trying to help you with. If you find a item which you have to hand in by Law, you will need to give a 6 figure map reference. If this for example is on his land then they will write to him & ask what agreement you had. If he gets wind of the money he will say 'what agreement?' & get it all. If he is fair he will agree to 50%. However he should give up his 50% when he charges, but you need it in writing, or you could say (like I do) that any significant find will earn him 50% of its saleable value. Therefore making all searches free.

CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:

This is what I trying to help you with. If you find a item which you have to hand in by Law, you will need to give a 6 figure map reference. If this for example is on his land then they will write to him & ask what agreement you had. If he gets wind of the money he will say 'what agreement?' & get it all. If he is fair he will agree to 50%. However he should give up his 50% when he charges, but you need it in writing, or you could say (like I do) that any significant find will earn him 50% of its saleable value. Therefore making all searches free.

what if the six figure map reference showed it was found in a pasture field that is owned by a friend?

shaun7 said:
CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:

what if the six figure map reference showed it was found in a pasture field that is owned by a friend?

Then its what ever the agreement is with your friend.

are sharpening stones a common find on ploughed land ?

i think i found my second today he can have half of that ;D

Crusader is right Shaun, the paperwork that I had from the coroners court, a copy went to the landowner.

The seconded question I was asked by the coroner in court, and I was reminded I was still under oath was ,“ Did I have the landowners permission either written or verbal to be on HIS land?”

Third question, and still given a reminder, “Was the ring the only item found under the Treasure Trove Law?”

A copy of the inquest verdict will go to the landowner, BM, local museum and me.

Doug

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back