Delta 4000 Has Arrived - My First Hunt Ever Was Today!

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Well, the Delta 4000 got here today. Went out to search what I thought may have been an old cellar hole in the woods behind my house near a couple of old fishing holes.

Found a hunk of aluminum, some tin foil, an old belt buckle, and a Lincoln Cent (only 2,799 more to go and this baby has paid for herself)!

Fixing to hit an old school near here that used to be the segregated school for all the black folks back in the day. It's been turned into an annex building for the BOE now. Still has a playground and ball field.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
psst he said he found 1 cent + 2,799 more to go would make * $28 .00 :wink: -- should have said found one cent , only 27, 899 more to go (cost is $279 bucks ) ps he found 4 more so only 27, 895 to go now --- :wink: Ivan

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Whoops! Lern 2 math... My bad...

Anyway I went berserk with this thing today. Left work early so I could do so (LOL)!

The two places I wanted to hit first were my old elementary schools - WRONG! There got to be so many Mexican Soccer games going on at those two ball fields the BOE has now put up "NO TRESPASSING" signs. I called the BOE but never got a return. I am going to ask if they can cut me some slack. Hit the city park instead. Found a RR Spike that I forgot and left at the site and a few pennies.

Then I decided to hit an old "Mill Town" that closed down after NAFTA was signed. They used to manufacture Russell Athletic clothing there. The town has an old abandoned post office, country store, and ball field still there. I think I will have to go back again, as most of the stuff I was getting was pulltabs and industrial metal BS. Lots of metal bolts, rods, cogs, gears, ect. I did find and keep a couple of pennies, a bullet, a pair of keys, and the yellow metal tag in the pic. I need to get some pics next time because the place is pretty cool - especially the old abandoned PO and Country Store.

After that I rode to my buddies house and messed up his yard good. Found a bunch of iron pieces of farm equipment, some pulltabs, nails, and an old dog tag (the ones for dogs, not soldiers).

Came home and strapped on the headlamp and hit the old garden patch until about 10:00 PM. Found a one-hitter weed pipe, a level of some kind, some kind of squiggly thing, and a 1971 JFK half dollar (clad dammit). The bubble level still works - and so does the pipe! (kidding)

I have a huge, disgusting blister on the inside of my index finger from digging so much. I gots the fever - and the only cure is more MD...

finds2.jpg

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
LuckyGoods said:
I myself also have a delta recently purchased. You should run it on the all metals mode, and then familiarize yourself with the sounds of the ding, and what she reads on certain things. A cople of test items is not a bad idea. I've already managed to start minimizing SOME of the junk, and a beach is a great place to have a learning curve, as it is much easier to dig in the sand as it is the ground........ Just get yourself a sand scooper, and familiarize yourself with the sounds.... I haven't played much with the sensitivity but i will be in the near future.

Happy Hunting

I don't think I am going to be able to do much with the sensitivity turned high and the discrimination low or in all-metal mode. When I had it set to detect everything, the thing will beep nonstop. I think it is the extremely high iron content in this Georgia Red Clay. There is so much iron in this stuff it never comes out of white clothing - it will stain like rust or blood. It also sucks to dig in. Rock hard and baked in the sun like pottery. This blister is humongous.

I think I'll have some cheese with my whine now...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
I told you --you will have to adjust the sensitivity level downward a a bit for the high iron content :wink: -- once properly adjusted however you will do fine -- see you joined the half dolllar club --way to go

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
ivan salis said:
I told you --you will have to adjust the sensitivity level downward a a bit for the high iron content :wink: -- once properly adjusted however you will do fine -- see you joined the half dolllar club --way to go

Thanks!

Today was a little rougher go. Had to maneuver in between rainstorms. Dug a bunch of trash and a few pennies at a lot where a home used to stand. I think it was a real "trashy" site. I need to work on my pinpointing and beep deciphering. It will fluctuate wildly in between numbers on the display. Many times high 80's "Dime" readings turns out to be a very deep piece of iron or aluminum.

EDIT: Do thunderstorms affect the sensitivity of your machine? I also hit what I thought would be a great spot and it turned out rotten, but like I said, I was hunting during breaks in the storm...

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
The level thing you found is part of a sliding square. Neat find and fairly old. I have one (complete) that is from the early 1900's. Your part matches the one I have. Here is a pic of what a sliding square looks like, complete:

Attachments

• square.jpg
    square.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 644

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
hombre_de_plata_flaco said:
ivan salis said:

Thanks!

Today was a little rougher go. Had to maneuver in between rainstorms. Dug a bunch of trash and a few pennies at a lot where a home used to stand. I think it was a real "trashy" site. I need to work on my pinpointing and beep deciphering. It will fluctuate wildly in between numbers on the display. Many times high 80's "Dime" readings turns out to be a very deep piece of iron or aluminum.

<snip>

You will learn to recognize the sound of a deep aluminum can that is giving you high readings. Are you looking at the target from both the x and y axis? Be sure to read your target, move 90­°, read again, move 90°, read again, etc. until you have gone completely around the target. If it is a good target, you will "normally" get consistent signals........the aluminum cans will often fluctuate drastically and give a shallower than actual depth reading. As the others have said, keep your discrimination low and sensitivity as high as you can without developing "noise and chatter." Electrical interference can/will affect noise. Does your machine have alternate frequencies? Sometimes changing frequency can eliminate interference noise.

Congrats on the new machine and best wishes on your hunts!

DevilDog812

Nov 3, 2010
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
LuckyGoods said:
I myself also have a delta recently purchased. You should run it on the all metals mode, and then familiarize yourself with the sounds of the ding, and what she reads on certain things. A cople of test items is not a bad idea. I've already managed to start minimizing SOME of the junk, and a beach is a great place to have a learning curve, as it is much easier to dig in the sand as it is the ground........ Just get yourself a sand scooper, and familiarize yourself with the sounds.... I haven't played much with the sensitivity but i will be in the near future.

Happy Hunting

I don't think I am going to be able to do much with the sensitivity turned high and the discrimination low or in all-metal mode. When I had it set to detect everything, the thing will beep nonstop. I think it is the extremely high iron content in this Georgia Red Clay. There is so much iron in this stuff it never comes out of white clothing - it will stain like rust or blood. It also sucks to dig in. Rock hard and baked in the sun like pottery. This blister is humongous.

I think I'll have some cheese with my whine now...

i was at a camp in VA once, where the well water had so much iron in it, the next morning the cooler would have a layer of rust on the bottom :laughing7:

needless to say i bought bottles the rest of the week

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
jumpy numbers are normally trash * -- good targets normally read solidly -- past about 6 to 8 inches deep most detectors ID ing ability tend to be a bit "fuzzy" -- in iron soil that just makes IDing that much tougher --- the delta 4000 (properly adjusted to account for the iron level) is one of the better under 300 dollar machines out there in my veiw in that while its ground balance is "preset" like other lower cost machines --by using the sensivity level adjustment * one can tune the machine to suit the ground your working in in all but the most extreme cases. ( not ideal but for those on a budget that can not afford the high dollar manually balanced type machines --or that have tech issues with complex machines-- its often nice to have a lower cost opition. )

lets see 27, 835 to now. (60 more cents found :icon_thumleft: -- by the way lots of folks have never found a half dollar --clad or silver )

deeper copper cents pre 1982 at depth will often read as dime -- since a clad dime has a copper core * and at depth they "read" similar due to that fact -- if one notch's out zinc ( so as to not find "crappy" modern zinc cents * older (pre 1983) copper cents will still come in under the dime icon --warning --if in a old homestead site (1909 or earlier era -- do not notch out zinc cents as indain heasd cents WILL often come up in that range ) -- a modern say tot lot where your highly unlikely to find a indian head cent -- and do not want to be bothered with cruddy half eaten zinc cents sure "notch" zinc out --but on a old home site --nope --unless you want to lose out on indain head cents . :wink:

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
I thought the JKF half would be less shiny (I have found a dime that was BLACK), but it came out of the ground looking pretty new.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
silver in the ground often darkens -- or tarnishes -- in 1971 however the half dollars used a nickle outer surface finish over a copper core -- 1970 to 1965 were 40% silver over a copper core ---1964 and earlier were 90% silver with no copper core. -- quarters and dimes were only silver 1964 and before and were 90% silvers (no copper core)--- nickles during the WW2 years of 1942 to 1945 were 35% silver and have a large mint mark letter P,S,D on the rear.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ivan gave you some good words to go by. Also, notching out the zinc pennies will cut you out of some silver rings.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Hard at it again today. Found about 10 Lincoln Cents, a couple of Nickels and Dimes. Found a lot of pulltabs. Just now beginning to experiment w/notching.

Really disappointed earlier today. Hit a home that has been in my family since 1834. This house was spared Sherman's wrath due to a local militia fending off a raiding party. Absolutely nothing of note. One Lincoln Cent was all we found today. Kept hitting big chunks of iron farm equipment.

Did the most good at a couple of playgrounds. I am beginning to recognize a small sized coin (or pulltab) reading.

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard at it again today. Found about 10 Lincoln Cents, a couple of Nickels and Dimes. Found a lot of pulltabs. Just now beginning to experiment w/notching.

Really disappointed earlier today. Hit a home that has been in my family since 1834. This house was spared Sherman's wrath due to a local militia fending off a raiding party. Absolutely nothing of note. One Lincoln Cent was all we found today. Kept hitting big chunks of iron farm equipment.

Did the most good at a couple of playgrounds. I am beginning to recognize a small sized coin (or pulltab) reading.
Hombre, I would cover that yard from several different directions.....cover all areas from four different directions. Check around the front porch and where they parked cars or wagons....should be some good stuff there.....sometimes targets will only hit from one direction...

manorman

Dec 8, 2008
you can save all that iron and junk metal and once you have a big pile take it to the scrap yard they will give cash in exchange,
i have pulled 330.00 worth out of ground this year.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
the booklet in it is a scale that tells you the common numbers of certain basic items - learn the chart or better yet make a copy of it and tape it on the machine till you get the hang of it .

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
m bryan said:
Hombre, I would cover that yard from several different directions.....cover all areas from four different directions. Check around the front porch and where they parked cars or wagons....should be some good stuff there.....sometimes targets will only hit from one direction...

Darn it... I have been doing an "X" over the target to try and pinpoint. If it has only hit from 1 direction I have moved on...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
coins on edge (straight up and down) or at certain slightly slanted angles might only hit one way * -- but the hits should be strong steady hits --not jumpy (trash hits are often jumpy -- note deeper type targets can be a bit jumpy as well too since at depth it gets harder for the machines ID ability to" lock on" as well -- all machines have ID issues at depth) --the strength of the hit and the type and quality of tone of it makes and as well as the ID number shown should all be factored into the DIG / NO DIG decision-- however if in any real doubt , I say dig it out. ( just to be sure - your not passing up a decent target) .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread