Destination Destin, Fl

kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In a few weeks I'm thinking of heading south to the Destin, Fl area for a few days. Does anyone have any info on this area. What to see, Where to detect, where not to detect? Any good Detector shops in the area?

Thanks for any info.

Kermit

Upvote 0

mikeandwife91

Greenie
Sep 24, 2005
Akron Ohio
Hi Kermit, I just returned from there this past week. I stayed in Fort Walton. I found a few coins on the beach in front of the hotels. I did hear of a guy that detects there every week that found a 3 dollar gold coin from the mid 1800's a few hotels down from where I was. I spent a day in Destin and went to the public beach off of scenic hwy98 and found quite a few newer coins and one medallion type object that is too encrusted to know what it is. It is about 1 1/2" dia. though. One observation I made that was consistant in both locations....I found more objects when I got away from the water's edge and hunted along a line in the sand that was caused by high waves from a storm (you'll see what I mean when you get there). This line was much more pronounced in Destin than Fort Walton due to the lack of beach in Destin. I stayed at the Hampton Inn on Santa Rosa Blvd and walked the beach almost a half mile in each direction. Going toward the boardwalk I found almost nothing, and away from the boardwalk I filled a small bag with junk and got a couple of coins. Destin was much more fun. If you can, stay in Destin though, the traffic going to Fort Walton during rush hour is a parking lot. I think you have to go to Pensacola to find a detecor shop. I looked for one just to visit and couldn't find any. If you are an avaition buff, the Armament Museum in Fort Walton Beach was pretty neat. It is by the airport. You can email me if you want anymore information. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions