Detecting and Police Visits

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The whole LA sheriffs dept. is under investigation for beating people up & hiding an FBI agent who was undercover in the jail. Mentally challenged inmates were told to do things they obviously did not have the faculties to do, so then they were laughed at & beaten up wgen they could not comply. One guy came to visit his brother in jail, gotten beaten to a pulp and put in jail. Many instances similar to these were what led to the FBI INVESTIGATION. I know this is not commonplace but the WHOLE upper echelon of sheriff dept. was in on this, up to Lee Baca, the sheriff himself. There are plenty of power hungry trigger happy cops out there, at least from the news reports I see. You can say whatever you like about the police, I trust no one. I imagine if even ONE dept. is corrupt there us a decent chance others are as well.

That's the beauty of the country we live in. We can each have our own opinion about this subject. We are on opposite sides ands that's alright.

LordoftheZincs

Dec 14, 2013
San Juan Island WA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was harassed by a RI state trooper a couple of months ago. He was a plainclothes cop who was hoping I'd give him some grief. Never even identified himself, just starting harassing me. Told me I couldn't "dig holes" on the soccer field because they spend $100,000 a year on "turf management". Really? I know a lot of people in my town who don't have enough to eat and no oil for heat and someone is spending 100k on "turf management" so rugrats can play soccer? Disgusting.

That SAME thing happened to me except it was a football coach. I stood up and said "Do you see any :censored: holes?!" Then I told him I did s**t the right way and he needed to scram. That was the end of it and he sauntered on home. :laughing7:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That SAME thing happened to me except it was a football coach. I stood up and said "Do you see any :censored: holes?!" Then I told him I did s**t the right way and he needed to scram. That was the end of it and he sauntered on home. :laughing7:

Nice! Unfortunately, my wife works for the local school district & tends to know everybody after 15 years of working there, so I have to be careful who I nut up to, lol. Last thing I need is my wife pissed off at me! I jumped a park workers ass 2 months ago after he told me I could only use a screwdriver to dig. I told him there are no signs posted, my taxes pay for the use of this park, I know what I am doing, no visible holes, etc...He could care less so I just left. I do feel the urge to go back there though....

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using a screwdriver to dig...
Is like using a straw to eat peas.

OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Nice! Unfortunately, my wife works for the local school district & tends to know everybody after 15 years of working there, so I have to be careful who I nut up to, lol. Last thing I need is my wife pissed off at me! I jumped a park workers ass 2 months ago after he told me I could only use a screwdriver to dig. I told him there are no signs posted, my taxes pay for the use of this park, I know what I am doing, no visible holes, etc...He could care less so I just left. I do feel the urge to go back there though....

So you don't because of your wife's position. Or you don't just because of one worker? If you know you are not breaking the law, I guess I am lost. Do you feel guilty that you are enjoying a legal hobby that might make people frown on you?

I guess when you have had a lot of hard knocks in life you learn you only have one life to live and nobody has the right to govern what you do unless it is unlawful.

You only have one life. Nobody has the right to stop you from doing something lawful even if they don't like it. People try to intimidate others and feel like they are in charge. People with minimum wage jobs have authority.

i was pumping gas one day and decided to go in and get a pepsi. When I walked in the clerk said I turned off the pump. You have to watch it at all times. LOL fine. Got my pepsi and went out and re swiped my card and finished pumping gas. You know how many times I have done that without a problem? Yes I was technically breaking a law. The clerk was doing her job. I still do it.

My bet is you will never see the park worker again. Even if you do what is the worse thing he can do to you? Tell him to show you the rule you are breaking. Or just leave and go back another day. They don't work 24/7.

Last edited:

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would think that your wife working there would be a huge advantage. Let the person who is harassing you know who you are and that your wife works with them or that they know your wife. I bet 9 times out of 10 they leave you alone because they are cool with your wife.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That SAME thing happened to me except it was a football coach. I stood up and said "Do you see any holes?!" Then I told him I did s**t the right way and he needed to scram. That was the end of it and he sauntered on home

Yup, baseball, football and soccer coaches think they own the fields. The last coach who harassed me regretted it. He told me I couldn't "dig holes" on HIS field. I told him it was a public field and called him every name in the book. He hurried back to his car, pretending to call the cops along the way. Never had any problems with that guy again!

Plainsmen

Greenie
Mar 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hrrmmm... called him every name in the book eh? Seems a bit aswholish? Probably could have made your point another way I bet?

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And what happened to that cop? So your saying that it's common for cops to shoot people for no reason? That is ridiculous. Cops do make mistakes but cop shootings are far and few between, expecially cops shooting someone by accident.

Actually, it happens all the time and and 9/10 times the officers are not charged.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So what's really the worst that's going to happen in most cases? A small fine, a night in jail for trespassing (whether legitimate or not) and a $100 fine from the judge the next morning?

Not so scary really.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Wow if only you had access to news in SoCal. A cop pulls up on crime scene because a guy gets his bike stolen. The victim is on cell phone when cop shows up. While he waves cell phone & tries to explain HE was the victim, the cop shoots & kills him. I guess innocent people who get shot by police must all be morons.

Good thread.

Atomiscott , and the others of you on the side of cop-danger stuff : The type thing you are citing as proof, is, I believe in psychology, called "projection" ? Or "memory bias" ? For example: I can show you a news story of someone getting stung to death by 1000 bees. And I could conclude that this type death is "imminent and certain" right ? Or shark attack stories. And conclude that therefore, it is certain that you'll get eaten by sharks if you swim, right ?

But that fails to take into account that millions of people walk the streets daily, and DON'T get stung to death by bees. And millions of people swim in the ocean and DON'T get eaten by sharks.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thread.

Atomiscott , and the others of you on the side of cop-danger stuff : The type thing you are citing as proof, is, I believe in psychology, called "projection" ? Or "memory bias" ? For example: I can show you a news story of someone getting stung to death by 1000 bees. And I could conclude that this type death is "imminent and certain" right ? Or shark attack stories. And conclude that therefore, it is certain that you'll get eaten by sharks if you swim, right ?

But that fails to take into account that millions of people walk the streets daily, and DON'T get stung to death by bees. And millions of people swim in the ocean and DON'T get eaten by sharks.

Couldn't put it any better myself

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
And I might add, that when I see the occasional stories of some md'r getting roughed up by an overzealous ranger or cop, and getting an actual ticket, or confiscation, etc.... at an innocuous place. Then I feel that it's along the same lines as this. That .... SURE, fluke stories are BOUND to exist. That someone got something more than a mere scram. But to jump from THAT to thinking that .... therefore .... we need to grovel at every city hall we come to, before going to the sandbox or beach, is not logical.

Yeah yeah, I know, off-topic, but just sayin' :)

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really? It is not only within the realm of possibilities, it happens often, a cop sees guy with something in his hand at night, in the middle of the street (on curb strips?) after being told by dispatch a neighbor called & saw a man with a long, shiny, or black object, (insert scary weapon adjective) etc... I live about 60 miles from L.A. and believe me the cops are shooting people 'by accident' more often than one would imagine. I think that if the principal of a school or a park official sees me and says, "I would rather you not detect at this school/park", I guess I should just state my rights & ignore him and keep digging. I have better things to do with my time.

We live in such a paranoid society these days. It's gotten SO much worse since 911 too. People call the cops over things that nobody would have called about 20 years ago. The society has become so alienated from one another that many people don't even speak to their own neighbors.

I firmly believe that all of this electronic communication everyone seems to be engaged in has created more division than just about anything else I can think of. Millions of people "get together alone" pretty much all of the time. They have online "friends" who they wouldn't even recognize in the real world. I'm guilty of it myself sometimes and my kids, who have never known a world without the internet and cell phones definitely do it and see it as perfectly normal.

I've also read that the average American unknowingly commits three felonies per day on average. There are just so many laws and regulations they've made it pretty much impossible not to slip up fairly regularly. They also rarely (if ever) repeal laws while constantly creating new ones. The bottom line is, if they want to get you, they will because there is almost always something that you can be charged with.

Again, keeping a low profile is always the best way to fly.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And I might add, that when I see the occasional stories of some md'r getting roughed up by an overzealous ranger or cop, and getting an actual ticket, or confiscation, etc.... at an innocuous place. Then I feel that it's along the same lines as this. That .... SURE, fluke stories are BOUND to exist. That someone got something more than a mere scram. But to jump from THAT to thinking that .... therefore .... we need to grovel at every city hall we come to, before going to the sandbox or beach, is not logical.

Yeah yeah, I know, off-topic, but just sayin' :)

I agree. Groveling will ultimately draw even more unnecessary attention to the hobby and will likely result in more control freaks wanting to regulate both the hobby and US even more. No thanks. I'd rather just deal with the control freaks as they appear and move on.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hrrmmm... called him every name in the book eh? Seems a bit aswholish? Probably could have made your point another way I bet

Nope. I was tolerant the first few times some fat, pompous coach harassed me, but I have a zero tolerance policy now. These jerks need to understand that they don't own jack squat. A public field is for public use, period.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope. I was tolerant the first few times some fat, pompous coach harassed me, but I have a zero tolerance policy now. These jerks need to understand that they don't own jack squat. A public field is for public use, period.

Even though I agree with your opinion, my Granny always said, " You can catch more flies with sugar, than ya can with vinegar!!":thumbsup:

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you don't because of your wife's position. Or you don't just because of one worker? If you know you are not breaking the law, I guess I am lost. Do you feel guilty that you are enjoying a legal hobby that might make people frown on you?

I guess when you have had a lot of hard knocks in life you learn you only have one life to live and nobody has the right to govern what you do unless it is unlawful.

You only have one life. Nobody has the right to stop you from doing something lawful even if they don't like it. People try to intimidate others and feel like they are in charge. People with minimum wage jobs have authority.

i was pumping gas one day and decided to go in and get a pepsi. When I walked in the clerk said I turned off the pump. You have to watch it at all times. LOL fine. Got my pepsi and went out and re swiped my card and finished pumping gas. You know how many times I have done that without a problem? Yes I was technically breaking a law. The clerk was doing her job. I still do it.

My bet is you will never see the park worker again. Even if you do what is the worse thing he can do to you? Tell him to show you the rule you are breaking. Or just leave and go back another day. They don't work 24/7.

You see, I do a lot of business with many schools & businesses in the area, I would rather not have people think I am a jerk. Simply not good business sense. It's METAL DETECTING! It is not a job to me, I do it for fun. I run a business that is is stressful enough, I don't need to argue with someone when I get a day to have fun & enjoy myself. At that point it is no longer 'fun'. There are many other places to detect if someone kicks me out. I don't see the need to be so serious & stressed out about a freakin' hobby! I like old home sites and gold nugget shooting because I like to GET AWAY from people. That's why I only hit parks before noon on weekdays when fewer people are around. I would not imagine detecting in a lake with kids swimming around me, but thats just me. When someone constantly gets harrassed & continues to use the same methods that cause said harrassment maybe that person really likes the conflict. If not, just keep doing what you do & don't complain when cops get called l, etc...as always, JMO. It means nothing!

Last edited:

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You see, I do a lot of business with many schools & businesses in the area, I would rather not have people think I am a jerk. Simply not good business sense. It's METAL DETECTING! It is not a job to me, I do it for fun. I run a business that is is stressful enough, I don't need to argue with someone when I get a day to have fun & enjoy myself. At that point it is no longer 'fun'. There are many other places to detect if someone kicks me out. I don't see the need to be so serious & stressed out about a freakin' hobby! I like old home sites and gold nugget shooting because I like to GET AWAY from people. That's why I only hit parks before noon on weekdays when fewer people are around. I would not imagine detecting in a lake with kids swimming around me, but thats just me. When someone constantly gets harrassed & continues to use the same methods that cause said harrassment maybe that person really likes the conflict. If not, just keep doing what you do & don't complain when cops get called l, etc...as always, JMO. It means nothing!

You don't have to be a jerk. If you know you have the right to be where you are then you can simply let them know without coming across as a jerk. I like to read the situation before I just decide to take off. It also.depends on the spot I am at. If I'm at a park the isn't producing more then likely I'm out of there. But I would stand my ground more if I'm at a dream spot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread