Detecting and Police Visits

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't have to be a jerk. If you know you have the right to be where you are then you can simply let them know without coming across as a jerk. I like to read the situation before I just decide to take off. It also.depends on the spot I am at. If I'm at a park the isn't producing more then likely I'm out of there. But I would stand my ground more if I'm at a dream spot.

True. Good point & well taken. I will state my case for a minute, but if I know I am not going to ignore the complaintant, & just keep digging, I don't push it much. Life is just to short to spend it arguing.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope. I was tolerant the first few times some fat, pompous coach harassed me, but I have a zero tolerance policy now. These jerks need to understand that they don't own jack squat. A public field is for public use, period.

I agree completely, I also noticed your screen name and I guess that kinda' says it all......

atomicscott

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2011
Riverside CA
Detector(s) used
Current: Nokta Makro Simplex+, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher Gold Bug (original), GP Pinpointer (Garrett Clone) Lesche. Owned: Omega 8000, Minelab X-Terra 505, Fisher F2, Tesoro Vaquero, & Compadre, Whit
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree completely, I also noticed your screen name and I guess that kinda' says it all......

I need to start being more like you guys, lol. When I get going though, it can be hard to reign in my temper! Must be the Irish blood in me, haha.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You don't have to be a jerk. If you know you have the right to be where you are then you can simply let them know without coming across as a jerk. I like to read the situation before I just decide to take off. It also.depends on the spot I am at. If I'm at a park the isn't producing more then likely I'm out of there. But I would stand my ground more if I'm at a dream spot.

Good, common sense post.

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way I see it, the person harassing you is the jerk. I was minding my own business and this person felt the need to confront me over something that was none of their business. As I've stated to many people who have harassed me detecting, if you think I'm doing something wrong, feel free to call the police. Otherwise, *&#$ off!

VacantEyesBass

Feb 2, 2016
Western Mass (hampshire county)
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends on the size of the screwdriver. :D

004BigScrewdriver.jpg

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes sir! Now THAT'S EXACTLY what I'm talking about!!!
God I love the people here on T Net!
The world doesn't have a clue, but you guys nail it exactly!!!!

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just had an encounter with a Baltimore County cop not 40 minutes ago.

I was hunting a small area on public property but it was so muddy I more or less gave up before I really got started. It was almost dark anyway and I only had maybe 30 minutes to hunt after working late.

Anyway, he drove past me, turned around and approached me. I thought to myself "here we go"...
So he rolls down his window and says, "having any luck"?? What a relief. I could tell right away that he, like me was just killing some time and not out to stir up any trouble.

So I explained that I was basically messing around and it was way too muddy and almost dark.

He then asked me a few questions about detecting and treasures I have found, wished me luck and went on his way. I was SO thankful that he was cool. Wouldn't it be SO great if all cops acted like human beings instead of schoolyard bully control freaks with an axe to grind??

I just thought I'd share a positive police encounter story because they do happen. So often we (and that includes ME) focus on the bad encounters. Of course they're the ones that annoy us the most when we're doing no harm to anyone; and I guess they're harder to forget.
That's just human nature I guess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ScubaDetector

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A LOT of those 20 + police encounters were positive. In fact only 4 were not. The three tickets, and the sheriff officer that decided getting permission from a realtor to cross an empty field were not. Yes the police are mostly great and realize that you are not hurting a thing or breaking laws. I didn't say I had 20+ bad experiences. I have just had a lot interaction with officers that get called from rich folks that look down on me playing in their lakes.

Public calls, police are required to respond. However, this is an area of law that most officers have absolutely NO clue on. The officers that decide on their own that I am breaking a law are the problem ones. All 3 citations were dismissed and the sheriff that tried to intimidate me failed. The other ones were absolutely great to talk to. Even one of the citations I received the officers were nice. They just didn't know the law and had to learn it themselves. WHICH is kind of funny because they were MARINE officers on a lake in a boat!

Even a lot of the rich people are very nice and supportive. HOWEVER, you also get ones that think they own everything.

Last edited:

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always make it a point to smile and give a short friendly wave to folks that I have made eye contact with while detecting. In virtually every case, I get the same in return. Police officers included.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I've almost talked 3 of the ones I encountered into getting detectors. :D

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I always make it a point to smile and give a short friendly wave to folks that I have made eye contact with while detecting. In virtually every case, I get the same in return. Police officers included.

Good point. It's an evasive body language that actually draws attention to oneself. So ironically, the more you fear "what if someone doesn't like me or md'ing??" is actually the more prone it is, to simply become a self-fulfilling phenomenon.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant stand the rich spoiled people who think they own everythimg. Ive had people come up and say you cant be doing that here/// I have the permit from parks and rec and there is no laws Ive checked!!!! BITE ME!!!!!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOL! How do you REALLY feel A2? :laughing7:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow I feel blessed, haven't been harassed much at all.

One time I was hunting property of Ford motor co, one of those giant fields and all they ever use them for is to grow sunflowers, and 1,000,000's of them, a few months a year. Pulled a civil war token and a couple 1800's quarters, was really liking this spot when one day I was in the zone digging up a find and out of the blue a loud voice says "WHAT ARE YOU DOING ??" I nearly jumped out of my boots and swung my detector, last thing I expected was someone walking up on me in the middle of a field, and I usually have superior situational awareness.
Of course, I felt like saying "What the hell does it look like I'm doing ?" but I just said, I'm metal detecting. He said oh, can't do that year, ford motor company does not want you here, this is private property you are trespassing and you are going to have to leave. Another fat rent a cop was taking my license number ,,, So I said ok, see ya and left.
[Thing is, year before I hunted the same field and an older rent a cop, retired cop was security, and he was real friendly and said he didn't see any problems with me detecting a plowed field - Even told me to use caution as they spray the field with pesticides].

But these younger rent a cops are the opposite. So I figure I'll come back on a Sunday when they will be understaffed and not so vigilant. I was wrong, same rent a cop was on me within 10 minutes he said, oh you again, I thought I told you you weren't allowed here and not to come back. I said oh well, must be losing my memory or something. He said real funny, leave right now and next time I'll call the cops and have you arrested for trespassing. I said do what you gotta do, I'm sure a guy metal detecting an empty field will be a real high priority run for them ,,, He then gets in my face and said you have a hard time hearing ? He was about to do a chest bump, I said take a step back jack, you put your hands on me and its on. I'm not going to play internet tough guy here but I have been in lots of brawls, have won most and I generally don't look like the type of guy to be messed with.
Even though he had another rent a cop with him he called for backup, "Charlie 4 this in Tango 5, request backup in lot 4C and request you call police for aggressive intruder" I was like oh sheesh, I did an eye roll and face palm, walked to my truck, put my gear away and drove off without further ado.

After finding that civil war token I was stoked and still was not to be put off, so I figured I'd try a night foray with a headlight. No rent a cops but mosquitoes were out in droves, never expected them to swarm an empty field and I have no idea what they feed on when I'm not there, but I was doing more swatting than swinging. I stopped to investigate a promising signal and it was like every mosquito within a mile radius knew I was there and wanted a piece of me, they were biting me everywhere. I shone my headlight beam into the air and I could actually see them forming landing patterns towards me, then one flew in my ear and bit there and I said screw this, this is worse than rent a cops, I actually ran out of there with them in hot pursuit, even flying into my truck and I was still swatting them miles down the road.

So that was about my only run in, thing is I know they were technically correct and just doing their jobs I guess, but they were overly aggressive and pompous, and the older guy from 2 years ago gave me the impression I could detect there no problem ... So it looks for all practical purposes there is no way to detect that area. [Did some research and found out that whole area was once a home for orphans of the civil war, history buried in those fields could be astounding and by the decree of Ford himself, it always was and always will be open fields, was never anything built on it except the orphanage and never will be.]

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At lest you didn't get a free ride to some place you didn't want to go. :D

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
First thread that I read throughb10 pages of comments, great post scuba detector. I've had my share of encounters with both law enforcement (probably close to 20) and property owners, I Carry legal statute, but when accosted by Leo will usually just find another spot to detect because there's many more just around the corner for me. if a property owner is aggressive then I'll Stand My Ground I don't want to spoil anyone's day when it's easy enough for me to detect somewhere else. it's that person that comes up loud and belligerent when they don't know the law that gets me a little bit irked.most law enforcement encounters end it up with officer wanting to know more about detecting, CTX users be aware when carrying extra coils that the large diametershafts much resemble shotgun barrels. Always good to stand up for your rights and I will if need be. I'd rather be recovering artifacts then discussing point of law with someone who, if he so chooses will have the last word, at least for that day.of course situation is different for everyone everyday, so use your best judgement and do what you feel is right. I also really enjoy my encounters with underwater creatures when submerged detecting amazing how Fearless the bluegills up here can be thebigger large mouth bass are much more skittish, usually watching me from the edge of my vision. Submerged detecting is also a great lesson in physics regarding equal and opposite forces when you try to recover the target. HH all!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing, I really enjoyed the telling of your encounters!

cruiserkev

Jan 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Great stories. I feel lucky. I have been approached by law enforcement while detecting at least a dozen times. Every one of them was just a curious cop wondering if I found anything good. Of course I was polite and courteous each time and had hid my holes well so there were not any issues. Give good karma and you will get it back. I value the cops in my neighborhood, good people for the most part that have a tough job especially these days. HH!

boojababy

Mar 21, 2016
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter gold digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder what would have happened if you weren't a state trooper? Nothing worse than cops who harass people because a relative or one of their drinking buddies called them to complain.

I was harassed by a RI state trooper a couple of months ago. He was a plainclothes cop who was hoping I'd give him some grief. Never even identified himself, just starting harassing me. Told me I couldn't "dig holes" on the soccer field because they spend $100,000 a year on "turf management". Really? I know a lot of people in my town who don't have enough to eat and no oil for heat and someone is spending 100k on "turf management" so rugrats can play soccer? Disgusting.

You would think a plainclothes cop pulling down 90k a year would have something better to do, but I guess not. Must have gotten a call from a drinking buddy who's rugrat plays soccer on the field. Or maybe his rugrat plays soccer there. Guess there were no drug dealers, rapists or child molesters to catch that day. Much more important to harass someone minding their own business metal detecting ...
My husband and I recently had a cop tell us we couldn't dig in the grass at the local park cause apparently a while back there was a scavenger hunt and people left holes and they had just fixed the area, he was pretty nice about it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread