DETECTING IN FLORIDA

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The low tide line is just that. If you're standing on the sand, you're above the low tide line.
If you're standing in the water, you're beneath the low tide line. Keep your feet and coil out of the water and you're OK.

As far as when you can and cannot detect in the water: I'm not sure on the finer points of that. I do know that in state parks, you have to stay between the tide line and the toe of the dunes. Also, a lot of areas in SE Florida have active salvor leases and you can't detect in the water regardless.

Detecting the wet has its benefits, but don't overlook the dry and intermediate wet along the flotsam. Honestly, you can make a trip out of just detecting the dry and still leave a ton of ground uncovered. The only time I'm really, really insistent on sweeping the low tide line wet is after a big storm.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I have detected in Destin and Fort Walton Beach. I have gone out in water up to my chest in low and high tide and nobody has ever said anything to me except "How you doing" or "Find anything good?" I don't know of any treasure leases applying to Destin, FL. Again, I have been out many times with no problems at all.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Farmercal said:
I have detected in Destin and Fort Walton Beach. I have gone out in water up to my chest in low and high tide and nobody has ever said anything to me except "How you doing" or "Find anything good?" I don't know of any treasure leases applying to Destin, FL. Again, I have been out many times with no problems at all.

I don't know if any leases apply to Destin, but the fact remains that if there are such leases, you run the risk of getting in trouble, regardless of how many times you've gotten away with it. The most likely scenario is that you'll get run off, but I'm fairly certain there are cases of people earning a headache over doing just that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread