Detector addition...Time for a deepseeker

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250
I am going to be adding a new detector to my arsenal this week. So far I am torn between the DFX and the EX-SE. I like the idea of the minelab however I am so used to swinging my whites at a certain speed and someone told me I would need to sweep much slower with the EX....Is this true? I tried a Explorer S this weekend and found it hard to sweep slowly. I also was put off by the weight...(had the sunray on it). The arm strap was missing on the one I used and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the strap makes it any more bearable....I used my XLT all day saturday and my arm felt fine..I used the EX-S for 2 hours and felt like my shoulder was falling off.

Thanks for your time in reading this. I am really in a rush to buy a machine. I have discovered some info on the site I have been hunting. From what I have been told the site once held a dozen cabins and has often been rumored to hold numerous large caches of coins. I am unsure if this research will pay off however with the amount of coins pulled from this site so far I can only wonder if one of those cache's had been in the way of the plow and spread throughout the field. So it is time to purchase A deepseeker and then I will know for sure.

outraged

Stormtrooper154

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Well, do some research and pick the one that works best for you. For me it was the Minelab Explorer....I tried the DFX but was unable to get much depth out of it here. The Explorer does have a slow swing, however you will have to go just as slow when you are looking for DEEEEEP targets with any other detector.

I have personally owned both and used both. This is my opinion based off my experiences with both machine. If you want older deeper coins, go for the Minelab. But hunting condition, and soil conditions have a lot to do with what kinda depth you are getting. Soil here is very bad stuff and the minelab seems to get right through it unlike my DFX.

IMHO,
Storm

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Yes I agree. The weight of the Explorer was one of the reasons I let my EX11 go. I believe it has to do more with balance.( I bought a 2 lb X-5 and swing that puppy all day.) No I personally would not consider a DFX.- just my opinion( I am also sure you will receive some posts from folks who love their DFXs). I personally would look at the F75- better balance but a lot of learning required similar to the Ex11- ( Again just my personal opinion on what new coin machine I would buy- I am just a sucker for the latest machines to come out)

Didn't they increase the recovery speed on the SE? Any SE users here?

However, since you have access to an Explorer- why not try a bungee cord to take the weight off. Several manufacturer make them. Perhaps it could be manageable to you then.

George

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
I have had a DFX and now have EX2/s and a F-75. Both will go much deeper than the DFX. Granted the EX2 is unbalanced but on those I use a swingy thingy and have no problem hunting it all day with a WOT coil and a Sunray probe, The F-75 on the other hand is super balanced, and will go just as deep as the Minelab (maybe deeper) and it is a pleasure to hunt with. Only problem I have found with it is it gets nuts if you get around any electrical interference and there are no specialty coils yet available. You cant go wrong with either one of them

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I have the DFX and depth is not a problem (assuming you toss the standard coil). I've chased paper staples (the regular paper ones not the roofing kind) 10-12". I've dug lead seals at 10" and a straight pin at 8" so I think the depth issue may be somewhat coil or headphone related. The DFX also has a sweep speed adjust so you can match what you do now. Personally, I like the signal sound (also adjustable) on the DFX. Adjusting the frequency of the sound may help some people who have a slight hearing loss or it may hurt people who have a hearing loss and don't know about it or the DFX adjustment to change the frequency of the tone to an area their ears are more sensitive to.

Don't mix a DFX with another company's coil. It may say it works with the DFX but it is hit and miss. White's has not (and probably never will) release enought information about the DFX for other companies to design a coil to its specifications.

Either machine will do the job. Put each in your hand, compare prices, coil availability and price, and go for it. Learning either machine will take quite awhile so be patient with either one.

Daryl

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I love the DFX and am still learning. Deep seeking, I like the Tesoro Tejon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread