Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
Upvote 0

zommbee

Jan 31, 2005
Tacoma, WA
Nothing unique, but I use a coil cover (I like to 'scrub' the ground). And a clear plastic
13-gallon trash bag over the whole works on rainy days.

Dave
Zommbee

OP
OP
bigrig40

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
cool. i have a cover also,and i usually wear a jacket this time of year and keepers in the left pocket and junk in the right.although it makes for a lot of washing of my favorite jacket!

bigrig

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Bigrig. Get yourself a single carpenters pouch on a wide belt. Lots of pockets to hold it all & you can just dump it out to clean up.

Other detector preservation: NO ONE ELSE TOUCHES MY DFX. I am very particular about my equipment. I don't mind doing a easy demo to anyone who is truely interested & I am happy to tell them where they can try out or rent a machine.

At the beach, I always clean the machine thoroughly any time it gets near salt water. I never put it away wet from any place. I check my protector plate everytime I go out. I don't hunt in truely foul weather. I keep a couple of large zip loc bags with me any time I go out for rain cover. I don't leave batteries in the machine if I'm not going to use it within three days. I carry my machine in the back seat of my pickup & I keep it cushioned to avoid vibration when traveling. I just ordered a large Starlite High Impact Carry Case for electronics from Amazon this week. I'm gonna custom fit it for the DFX & all accessories. It is securable & I plan to ship it to Nashville by UPS when I go next month, inclosed in a carton. Out of site, out of mind. NO hassles with the airport & it is insured. Spotz

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
NA! I keep my machine out of water and damp areas because the insides could get damp and ruin the computer board! Especially if it is not the water proof type.Always use ear phones ..it helps make your batteries run longer...Always take the batteries out when not using for long times,so batteries don't start to decay and cause damage...Always test before you go out..in your back yard or with some home made testers on a stick and prefferably not in your house because the metal in there could cause faulty working conditions.Wipe down your machine so dirt does not get in the mechanisms when not in use!You can put a dab of oil type stuff on the tighteners so they don't rust if it is not rust proof.Always read the prescribed manual because the factory that built it would definitely tell what to do and what not to do!don't throw it away...it will have all the numbers and phone and addresses most likely when to send it back for work etc!!and send in the rebate or the upkeep paper ??? Can't think of it!!so you can send it in when a year comes it needs new free or fix up parts.If thats part of the deal!Read the manual,it will give you hints that we don't normally think of!on working with it, for best results.Always ask questions of the machines company...they would know better then some other machine company though...I would ask any way..They might have a better idea also! Good experts like us will also help in times of need!for second hand help!Ya! I do the plastic bag thing also for deeper water projects! And No-one!!!! touches my machine either! I also like to keep my digger tool in a pouch taped or tide on my leg..It looks cool and you don't have to worry about getting the digger/screwdriver up your but!or stabbing yourself!I wear my fishermans vest ..It supplies me with many a pocket and also my Police belt with pockets I bought a few years ago....Handy thing with flash light carrier and other cool pockets..Oh yes!! Heres another cool thing..If you pull the handle apart I made a sharp point so it acts like a cool stabber for picking stuff up ect....like a spy tool....or for defence.I can get bull frogs for dinner! As kids we hunted them and ate them as a cook out! Though Up here I have not seen anything at all!I also eat cat tails..from the swamp...Vitamin c and there good too! Yep! if I got lost I would not have to starve!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Nope, pretty much beat the heck out of my machines, from those aerial displays on the old roads jumping the tracks with them flying around in the trunk to cutting brush and weed whacking with them. But they've held up for many years so far. Wouldn't buy dainty machines. Beepo man always intense.

J

Jim Cal

Nothing special...I keep a detector with me virtually all of the time in case I spot someplace really good so it gets bounced around a lot. I do keep it in a carry bag along with the headphones, digging tools, and pouch. Clean it periodically with a damp rag. I too use a coil cover and always keep extra batteries so I don't get somewhere and find out the batteries are no good. The most important thing is to use your detector every chance you get and learn its nuances. Jim Cal

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Preservation! To preserve one's sanity by being fully equiped when one stumbles upon an untouched quality site. DFX! Don't leave home without it! Spotz

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work my coil right along the top of the grass or sometimes touching bare ground very lightly. Is this the best way? I notice my coil is plastic and is getting scratched. Can you run the machine with the cover on the coil or will it mess up your reception? At any rate I always wipe the dust from my equipment and stow it i the case.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Cover Is Not going to Interfear. It is For Protecting your Coil While You Swing. Just Clean it Out Each Night, because dirt will get in some & if you get Iron Dirt, it will interfear. some will suggest putting a seal around to prevent that, but then if you still get some in, you wont know unless you break the seal & check.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
And don't forget a couple light coats of car wax helps keep housing clean and also helps with the extending and collapsing of stem when stored. I also occasionally use a pencil eraser on battery contacts to keep them clean.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put Hot Glue on the coil where the wire enters the coil. Even tho they are Waterproof, I do it anyway for extra protection from Condensation getting in.? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?and just personal adaptations to the configuration, to make it more streamlined.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to a local scuba dive shop and buy a can of "Vegetable Grade Silicon spray" used in protecting scuba regulators, wet suits, and other scuba gear. It works GREAT on detectors too! I've been doing it for yrs. It's the BEST thing you can use and perfectly safe. It will not harm your detector or your detector equipment (in fact) it will help preserve all of your equipment for many yrs. by keeping it rust free, water resistant, cords from cracking, etc. etc. I spray mine after a long days use when it gets dirty, just wash it with water 1st, dry, then apply. I also spray it every few weeks during the winter while storing it waiting for spring to arrive. It helps greatly with the lower rod sliding in and out of the main rod when storing, or transporting, etc. too! Makes it a breeze with almost no Resistance whatsoever. ;D

michinkae

Nov 22, 2004
New York
Detector(s) used
whites DFX and XLT
you have a local dealer for your whites that can get you any little bit and piece that you need. You can order a brand new grip from him. If you want to keep your detector NEW LOOKING. Give the dealer a call and he or she will most definitely set you up with any piece you need. I took my MXT in and got brand new decals for the housing because mine were all scratched up, now it looks like new again. go to http://www.whiteselectronics.com and find a dealer in your town.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Lonewolfe , I use "Prestone" Silicone Spray on mine . don't know if that's the same thing or not. I had forgot I do that, Ran out at the end of Last season

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions