DEVILS CANYON on Discovery Channel.

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Keene "3 dredge, Jobe yellow jacket, "36 Prospector Bazooka, a shovel, a pan and a worn out back.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been a little while since I've been around. Got moved to the night shift at work and that has really hindered my prospecting and I've been on vacation the last couple of weeks. Well yesterday I got an email from Discovery Channel about when the teaser/trailers will be airing for the show I will be on called "Devils Canyon". First one is on May 17th during the airing of "The Last Alaskans". I am nervous like you wouldnt believe. It was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. 6 weeks completely alone in the British Columbia bush, surviving and mining gold. No film crew, just me, filming myself the entire time. You get me, in the raw struggling like I have never done before.

But how did "The Goose" react............(you should have seen the people in the park......LOL!)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would have brought a dog - that's what the old time miners did. Nice to have a companion to help you through the rough times and provide some protection.

I love dogs. How you gonna feed a dog for six weeks? That'll just take time away from digging!

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He just saw a preview on the discovery channel web site as I did. Show is coming up at 10:00pm, Looks good
show was on at 7pm here. I guess you Oregon Boys get California leftovers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
great show,looking forward to the next one.
brad

OP
OP
B

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro, Keene "3 dredge, Jobe yellow jacket, "36 Prospector Bazooka, a shovel, a pan and a worn out back.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep . it was just an unnecessary display of male flesh that is hard to un-see :(

rest of the show was enjoyable to watch.
but call me a a skeptic on them being alone

When that episode airs, I can talk more about it. There is a reason for everything I did out there. And no matter how many times I say we were alone, not everyone will believe me. Once the season gets further in, I will be able to talk more and explain things as they happen.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One that episode airs, I can talk more about it. There is a reason for everything I did out there. And no matter how many times I say we were alone, not everyone will believe me. Once the season gets further in, I will be able to talk more and explain things as they happen.

well if you get neked again I'm done :laughing7: your not built like a 19 year old woman :unhappysmiley:
and there are only one style nuggets I wanna see, or know are hangin' around camp

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well if you get neked again I'm done :laughing7: your not built like a 19 year old woman :unhappysmiley:
and there are only one style nuggets I wanna see, or know are hangin' around camp

LOL! I can appreciate that.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love dogs. How you gonna feed a dog for six weeks? That'll just take time away from digging!

Somehow, before recent modern times, people were able to travel with dogs without packing a 40 lb. bag of dog food.

Dogs actually don't eat much and are equally (if not more) adaptable to a lower calorie intake as humans are.
They can actually pack in much of their own food and supplement with forage (dogs are omnivores).

Dogs serve a VERY important service in bear country.

OP
OP
B

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somehow, before recent modern times, people were able to travel with dogs without packing a 40 lb. bag of dog food.

Dogs actually don't eat much and are equally (if not more) adaptable to a lower calorie intake as humans are.
They can actually pack in much of their own food and supplement with forage (dogs are omnivores).

Dogs serve a VERY important service in bear country.

Would have loved to take my chocolate lab with me but he is a house dog (great for sounding an alarm) for the most part and would have cause me more problems than anything. Ben has 2 awesome bush dogs that he wanted to bring but couldnt.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That bear took my heart rate into the stratosphere.

Seemed a little odd that the bear was being filmed outside your tent while you were being filmed inside the tent :icon_scratch:
How many cameras did you have? Appeared you also had a camera on a drone.

love the adventure, reminds me of some I've had, only I have never spent more than 10 days alone in the bush.
Great show I will watch all of them, anxious for the next installment.

You are the man:icon_thumleft:

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seemed a little odd that the bear was being filmed outside your tent while you were being filmed inside the tent :icon_scratch:
How many cameras did you have? Appeared you also had a camera on a drone.

love the adventure, reminds me of some I've had, only I have never spent more than 10 days alone in the bush.
Great show I will watch all of them, anxious for the next installment.

You are the man:icon_thumleft:

GG~

They gave us a game camera to set up outside our camp. They were hoping for animal encounters. The drone was when the camera crew followed me to the edge of the canyon. After that I was on my own. I had 2 HD cannon XF105's, 2 go pros and a game camera as well as my audio pack.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They gave us a game camera to set up outside our camp. They were hoping for animal encounters. The drone was when the camera crew followed me to the edge of the canyon. After that I was on my own. I had 2 HD cannon XF105's, 2 go pros and a game camera as well as my audio pack.

The drone shot was the main reason I was skeptical of you being alone.
I was taking your word you were alone , but that drone shot was nagging at me
as it got you as you were walking. a tuff thing for you to have been doing on your own:tongue3:

that and a third of your time must have been wasted changing camera positions :coffee2:

Been long time since I was confident I'd survive in a place like that :coffee2:
Black Bear don't Scare me. But location looks dificult

Last edited:

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Even if there is drone footage at the camp(s) it wouldn't mean they're not alone. If it was my show ( production) I'd sure be buzzing those/you guys. I guess you'd probably know.

OP
OP
B

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The drone shot was the main reason I was skeptical of you being alone.

Right before the drone shot, you can see the camera crew and producer around me. And as the drone pulls away you can see them walking away from me.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm going to preface my thoughts by admitting I have not read any of the previous comments on this thread. I just watched the show, I LOVE the premise of putting these three very different lovable losers in the Klondike, ripping off elements of "Alone," another show that strands folks in the wild on their own. Add pans of gold, deadfalls, bears, accidents, and naked men crossing 36-degree streams and you have a ratings winner.

So far it is believable to me. Some of the drone shots are obviously post or pre production edited in for drama. You don't catch a bear outside your tent on video the first night - as a rule, but once it happens you can try and catch it. Again, creative editing after the whole thing is over, and I am convinced they are out there on their own - for the most part.

So, I hope the show stays believable and, I really hope these guys score some heavy pans. :occasion14:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched the show last night. So far so good but i do have one question. Is their a reason you would not take a metal detector with you? It just seems logical that potential panning spots could be found way faster with a metal detector.

OP
OP
B

Bronze

Jun 21, 2013
Everett WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched the show last night. So far so good but i do have one question. Is their a reason you would not take a metal detector with you? It just seems logical that potential panning spots could be found way faster with a metal detector.

Believe me when I say I put a LOT of thought into it. I decided against it for weight reasons.

HMiller

Aug 6, 2015
Darrington, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Bazooka Sniper 30", Gold Cube 4 Stack, Gold Cube Trommel, Gold Screw Trommel, Jaw crushers, Impact Mill, Shaker Table, Spiral Wheels, Blue Bowl, Sluices, Picks, Pry Bars, Shovels,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I dvr'd it and will watch later this evening. Dang goose I nailed it when I suggested you were on naked and afraid. Lol.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Show got off to a great start Goose!!!! Next year maybe hire a helicopter to dump you, Magic Mike, your gear, and your "breakfast" off for a few days without having to do a DC show....?????

mofugly13

Jan 30, 2015
San Francisco, Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I watched it. I thought it was excellent and I'm really looking forward to the rest of the season.

It was pretty clear that the bear footage was an unmanned camera of some sort. It would take some special kind of cameraman to keep standing there, filming while a bear walked up from behind in the dark

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread