Devil's Nest detecting and rattlesnake

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently detected some Roadrunner claims near Devil's Nest (mine shaft).
DSC00627.JPG

This mine shaft is on the south end of Rich Hill, near Stanton, AZ. Nothing found today.

While scootin' around in the Jeep, I came across this rattle snake. Seems to be a good crop of these babies this year!

TTC

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
he dont look friendly ? makes me wonder how good they are to eat. if they are abundant lets cook em up. are they best deep fried ? cut em up into chunks,put em on a stick and cookem up over a campire ?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good onya Terry for letting that guy continue living...:occasion14:

Nomad, they are horrible tasting. BBQ'd one some 30 years ago
that my buddy found while we were out coyote hunting. Tried
it with BBQ sauce and everything, but just could not get it to
go down.

Tossed a few pieces to the dog (Lab) and he just turned his nose up
at it..:laughing7:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
1960 or 61 when I was about 12, in Cascade, Virginia, I was squatted down fixing the chicken yard wire. Brand spanking new jeans, never been washed, stretched tight over my knee, and I got popped by a copperhead. Hit my knee, and I had a big ole yellow, a little sticky, wet spot. So, only one fang actually left a scratch on my left knee, a little skin displaced. So, I got very lucky. I watch for snakes up my holler!

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't think it's a diamondback, Terry. I don't see the white border around the diamonds. But, I don't have a clue what type it is.
Maybe a blacktail?
Jim

Last edited:
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't think it's a diamondback, Terry. I don't see the white border around the diamonds. But, I don't have a clue what type it is.
Maybe a blacktail?
Jim
I'm thinking the Western or Pacific Western. I agree.... pattern not quite diamondback. TTC

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

go down.

I am told rattlesnakes are territorial. I will "dispatch" them close to the house but not out in the wild. The snake may never have seen a human or a human may never have seen that particular snake. No sense in senseless killing. TTC

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Terry we got a saying here, maybe you have heard it, too. I would touch that with a ten foot pole!

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry we got a saying here, maybe you have heard it, too. I would touch that with a ten foot pole!
Well, it's not ten feet long. The "pole" I picked him up with is only 40 inches long! I've done it dozens of times and am very comfortable with it. TTC

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used

go down.

well thats not making much sense ? maybe theres a special way to clean them ? maybe if their poison gets in the flesh it contaminates it ? all i remember is ? in some of the old cowboy movies the cowboys would eat the rattlesnakes they killed. so maybe the taste is aquired ? maybe you gotta be tough as nails ? livin off the land is tough and you gotts to eat what you're lucky enough to what you're lucky enuf to catch ? i need a good luck charm. ???

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
Well, it's not ten feet long. The "pole" I picked him up with is only 40 inches long! I've done it dozens of times and am very comfortable with it. TTC

you must have a really good luck charm ? i mean a really good one if you fell comfortable with a 40 inch stick ?

MCX

Apr 21, 2018
NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminds me of the Mojave Green Rattlers.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If cooked right it isn’t too bad. I used to fry mine then make a brown gravy and served it over a bed of white rice. AKA: rattlesnake & rice. A little hot sauce and your in business.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Venom is just as BAD.

Naahhh. The Westerns & Pacific rattlers have milder venom, and less of it. They'll do some damage, but rarely kill anybody. The Diamondbacks are in a whole 'nother category. Bigger venom load, and more toxic venom. In fact, there are reports they've been finding some DB's with a nerve toxin component in their venom. That used to be reserved for the Mojaves, and the Pygmy Faded Rattlesnakes in Wyoming and Northern Utah.
Jim

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Reminds me of the Mojave Green Rattlers.
I've seen TWO Mohave Greens already this month(April). I'm telling you, a BIG crop this year.... probably due to the heavy rains this spring. I am told..... that baby rattlers are more potent than adults. They say the first meal is so important that baby rattlers have venom similar to cobras until they start eating then changes to regular venom. TTC

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If cooked right it isn’t too bad. I used to fry mine then make a brown gravy and served it over a bed of white rice. AKA: rattlesnake & rice. A little hot sauce and your in business.
I suspect your state of starvation has something to do with how much you enjoyed them as a meal. TTC

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you must have a really good luck charm ? i mean a really good one if you fell comfortable with a 40 inch stick ?
Since relocating here to AZ (and CA), I have been equipping myself with tongs from Midwest Tongs. (www.tongs.com) They have quite a variety of herpetology/animal control equipment. As you could see, I prefer the Gentle Giant model of "grabber". Less stressful for the snake. They come in longer versions but then storage becomes an issue. I also have full length snake-proof chaps and shorter gaiters. A local herpetologist pays $50 apiece for unhurt venomous snakes so he can milk the venom. He will not accept animals that show injury. TTC

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad you took a vid of that. I know we have some possible on our land. I'm always real jumpy. I've never ran into them to know what to expect. It's one of my minor fears when walking around, more for my Son and wife. It's cool that that one warned you at a pretty good distance. Hope most are like that.

I subbed to your channel so that anything that you put on pops up, since I'm not on here a whole lot anymore...Just here and there. Pretty cool to see some of the things your taking short clips of. I'll go back in later and check the rest out.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm glad you took a vid of that. I know we have some possible on our land. I'm always real jumpy. I've never ran into them to know what to expect. It's one of my minor fears when walking around, more for my Son and wife. It's cool that that one warned you at a pretty good distance. Hope most are like that.

I subbed to your channel so that anything that you put on pops up, since I'm not on here a whole lot anymore...Just here and there. Pretty cool to see some of the things your taking short clips of. I'll go back in later and check the rest out.
Hey Nitric! I will be in GA and TN in may. Visiting friends and a cousin. Maybe we will meet? I have many encounters out here in AZ with the "locals". Check out previous posts to see many snake and animal pics and videos. I have a lifetime combo license so I can possess a daily "bag" of snakes ... alive or dead of two. I am looking into the requirements of selling live rattlers to "milkers". I know of one in Yarnell. My neighbor John will contact him to set up a meet. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread