...Did Knowingly Attack Said Coin...

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Our first camping trip of '05 was about a week before Memorial Day. It was great, everything was perfect........or.....wait......where'd you put the mder???...................me???? i handed it to you.......oh MY HEAD......i left it sitting on the deck railing at home......4hrs...back that-a-way...... oh well, plenty of trout to catch and moose to photograph.....................the next day we come across this spot...
sure looked nice to me.....

Attachments

• Spot.JPG
    Spot.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 920
OP
OP
ashleen

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
go eyeball me some goodies, hon..

Attachments

• x-ing.JPG
    x-ing.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 905
OP
OP
ashleen

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
throw a little of that bottom in the old 'sketti strainer before we leave...( i'm thinking stones )...

Attachments

• Istrainer.JPG
    Istrainer.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 912
OP
OP
ashleen

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
found this later when i checked out the strainer...

Attachments

• RomFr.jpg
    RomFr.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 1,167
OP
OP
ashleen

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
other side...

Attachments

• Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 1,167
OP
OP
ashleen

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Well,,,,,,,,,,one of the first things i learned from this forum was... olive oil.
Sooooooooo, it's been soaking in it since late August. And I swear it's got darker, and even harder to see anything. And that's all I wanted was to SEE it to know what it was. Understandable? me thinks...
The other day, I could stand it no more, so I attacked it. Salt+vinegar seemed to do SOMETHING so i took my copper cleaner and in minutes I could see! Now, I know; I know; that was a BAD thing to do, but...........OMG!..............i think it's a Roman coin!? Someone HAD to have dropped it, 'cuz i don't think those chariots got THAT kinda mileage:)

Attachments

• RmCoincleanedFr.jpg
    RmCoincleanedFr.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 1,203
OP
OP
ashleen

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
to my eyes it looks like copper. It's dull, no shine. ( but that's probably my fault, huh? )

Attachments

• RCcleanBk.jpg
    RCcleanBk.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 1,148

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Now that IS an odd find out there.... well, since you already hit it with copper cleaner, maybe soak it in olive oil again to help stop the corrosion and protect it a little bit. Nice find! I take it you have already ran it to a coin dealer to find out if it's a reproduction? Let us know... ???

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roman!!! :o Really?! :o

You know Ashleen....if you hadn't cleaned it you would have never know what it was....so I wouldn't feel bad about it!

Awesome find you two!

;)

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Ash,

nice photos.

To clean or not to clean, that is the questions.

Take it to a dealer now and see if it is real.

Nice find.

Good luck.

OP
OP
ashleen

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Jeffro said:
I take it you have already ran it to a coin dealer to find out if it's a reproduction?

No, I have not taken it to a coin dealer. I only 'attacked' it friday. We spent Saturday at the beach mding. And we got about 10 inches of snow today >:(
hmm...repoduction,,,,never thought of that. i was just so excited to see it FINALLY.

OP
OP
ashleen

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Hob,

umm...
i dunno...haven't checked it out yet.
hmm...
i need to get on this!
definately on this week's list.

And thanks for reminding me ::)

Gunner

Dec 19, 2004
Hi Ashleen,

This coin in my opinion is certianly Authentic. The coin is from the Late Roman Empire and was struck by one of the sons of Constantine The Great. It is an "AE3" of Constantius II with a "Soldier's Standards" reverse. Can you tell me what is in the Exergue of the reverse? (Lettering below the soldiers). That will help me in determining what mint it was struck at and perhaps an exact date. Where were you when you found this? Here is what I can tell you from the pictures.

Empire: Late Roman

Emperor: Constantius II (Son of Constantine the Great who had most of his siblings killed off in his quest for the purple).

Denomination: AE3

Metal: Copper/Bronze

Size: Approximately 17mm

Weight: Approximately 3 grams (will vary significantly on the bronze issues)

Date Struck: 330-333 A.D.

Obverse Legend: FL IVL CONSTANTIVS NOB C (Flavius Ivlianvs Constantivs Nobilitas Caesar).

Reverse Legend: GLOR-IA-EXERC-ITVS (Glory of the Army)

[Note: It can be safely assumed that Roman emperors were always working to keep or win the favor of the army as to lose favor meant certain death for them - hence the propaganda]

Mint: ???? (need those letters in the Exergue)

Similar Coin below from Beastcoins at Vcoins.com (Ex. Killingholme Hoard).

Gunner

Attachments

• BeastCoinsConstantiusII.jpg
    BeastCoinsConstantiusII.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 737

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Ashleen said:
Hob,

umm...
i dunno...haven't checked it out yet.
hmm...
i need to get on this!
definately on this week's list.

And thanks for reminding me ::)

girl! you better get down to that coin dealer (i know......... i know i need to get there too for my conn copper! ;)) because you may really have something special there! if it is real, i wonder how it wound up there? judging from the amount of corrosion on the coin when you found it, i would think that it is probably real. i am dying to hear if its the real mccoy or not. good luck!!

OP
OP
ashleen

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Gunner said:
Mint: ???? (need those letters in the Exergue)

Well.........we've all eyeballed, magnified, and louped this puppy........
and maybe Exergue is..........
T O X or K big fat dot blob then an A?or B?or 8?
and we're not even positive if that's right. There are 4 of us here looking, and that's the best we can do :(
how sad is that?

We found it a little southeast of Dixville Notch, New Hampshire.
I don't have a clue how it got there. It was a week before Memorial Day, there was still snow in the mountains there in several places. But, it was in the gravel at the bottom of that waterfall. The pic of Ralph with the digger and the sketti strainer is right where it came from. The tourist season had not yet started. It coulda come down the falls I guess. Or it coulda been dropped by someone with a whole in their pocket. Ya know what too, tho? It just looked like a cruddy old penny, so maybe someone made a wish and threw it! I dunno, but I like it :D

Hollow........................dur.....umm.........the thing is.......? there was a coin show last Sunday about an hour from here; that I planned on bringing it to............We got busy early that morning on home repairs.... figuring I had all afternoon to make the coin show........I taped, mudded and sanded sheetrock until like 1:30. Heading for the shower (dusty).I checked the web page for the address of show and found that the show closed at 3. No time to clean up and make it >:( And then Monday I got to rework my work from Sunday cuz it came out crappy, 'cuz I was rushing.............typical me :(

OP
OP
ashleen

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
HobBob said:
OK Ashleen, any updates since March 25th??
...Because inquiring minds want to know... ;D
Bob

Let me see now; where is that weeks' list?

hmm.............can't find it :(

......but I'm pretty confident the answer is not yes ;)

( forgot about it again )
i know...i know............no excuse.
.................OFF WITH HER HEAD.............................

:D ;D :o ::) :P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions