OP
OP
ashleen

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
miss_anthrope said:
I KNEW the falls looked familiar! We're always camping and fishing in Coos county, never thought to md there! (or sketti strainer the falls lol!) great find!

Miss_A,

We were actually camping at Mollidgewock in Erroll.
This falls spot we found the day we were headed home; slowly. The thing is?......I dunno if the falls spot is in the White Mts National Forest, or not. Do you know? We'll have to head back there this year ;)

Hob,

I've located a coin guy in Concord :) THIS WEEK FOR SURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

OP
OP
ashleen

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Re: ...Did Knowingly Attack Said Coin...*UPDATE*

Well, I brought the coin to a coin shop in Concord. The guy was in a foul mood, I think. He looked at it real quick, said...'reproduction'. When I asked him if he could read the exergue he just said 'no, i'm closing in five minutes'... Well, I gotta say; I ain't taking this guys opinion too seriously! He never even looked with any magnification. Never asked where it came from or anything. sheeeeeeeeeesh :( Talk about the bum's rush :-\

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250

Ashleen said:
Well, I brought the coin to a coin shop in Concord. The guy was in a foul mood, I think. He looked at it real quick, said...'reproduction'. When I asked him if he could read the exergue he just said 'no, i'm closing in five minutes'... Well, I gotta say; I ain't taking this guys opinion too seriously! He never even looked with any magnification. Never asked where it came from or anything. sheeeeeeeeeesh :( Talk about the bum's rush :-\

thats the same garbage i got from a dealer around here when i brought my connecticut copper to be looked at.he wouldnt even tell me it was a repro. he couldnt tell me anything at all. when i said "what about the date on it?" he replied " it has a date?" if he had actually looked at it he would have seen it for himself! i guess these guys are way too important to be bothered by us peasants!........screw em.

miss_anthrope

Ashleen said:

I'd bring it up to Village coin shop in Plaistow (rt 125 - 382-5492) - Domenic rocks ;)

OP
OP
ashleen

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH

miss_anthrope said:
I'd bring it up to Village coin shop in Plaistow (rt 125 - 382-5492) - Domenic rocks ;)

Once again, Miss_A...................thank you ;)
i shall dub you my Fairygodmother :D

Gunner

Dec 19, 2004

Ashleen said:

Did the guy have any ancient coins in his shop? Sounds to me like a complete idiot. This issue is so common that it would cost the forger in the long run to reproduce it! To state 'reproduction' that quickly on that coin is a cop-out on the part of the dealer. Sounds to me like he was too proud to admit he was clueless.

Gunner

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I have seen that same coin found several times in unlikely places. All turned out to be reproductions. Due to where it was found it probably is another of these. Monty

Gunner

Dec 19, 2004
Monty said:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I have seen that same coin found several times in unlikely places. All turned out to be reproductions. Due to where it was found it probably is another of these. Monty

I would wager $1000.00 US that the coin in question is an authentic late roman AE3 of Constantius II. These are very common and there are several ways this particular coin could have ended up in the States. The big mystery here is...how? I have been a collector of Roman coins now for about 5 years with a specialty in late Roman issues of the Constantine family (Like the above coin). Please show me another example (other than the one I am posting of a reproduction of this particular issue if this series is indeed reproduced frequently. I know of one source of these coins being faked and it only occurred for a short period of time in late 2003 (The Famous "Uncleaned Fake" scourge). These were allegedly made in Bulgaria and they are not convincing, unless you suspect them to be ancient barbaric imitations. The style is way off and there were way too many die matches for it to be just a coincidence. The style is well executed on the above coin. Guessing, I would say stylistically Ashleen's coin belongs to either the Thessalonica or Antioch mint.

Here is an example of an "Uncleaned Fake" of this particular issue. I have never seen any modern reproduction of this series other than the below mentioned coin.

Gunner

Attachments

• fakes5.jpg
    fakes5.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 631
OP
OP
ashleen

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
I'm HOPING Gunner is right :)

But I FEAR Monty is right :(

I'm gonna try to find the guy in Plaistow Miss_A suggests....SOON!...I haven't been able to move, walk or drive for a while....but the good news is: no herniated disks showed in the MRI...just a ton of arthritis in the spine :( So I will get on this as soon as I can.
Or maybe I'll just send it to Gunner!!! His opinion I'd respect .
And BTW, Gunner??? I think you're right, the guy was clueless; he said he had a bunch of ancient coins upstairs or in another location! gimme a break... BS, me thinks...But, who knows, maybe the guy had just had a day from Hell or something...

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ashleen, I hope Gunner is right. I sure don't want to ruffle your feathers as bad as I did his. I'm surely no expert on those coins and besides I can't see it well enough in the pic to tell much about it. I'm just telling you what I know from past experience. It's not that important to me to fly crazy about it, and I hope you make a bundle on it. Monty

OP
OP
ashleen

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Monty said:
I sure don't want to ruffle your feathers

Monty,

hahaha.......that's not EVEN possible :D
all my feathers fell off a long time ago ;)
and what didn't fall off......fell down :(
stupid gravity, anyway!

OP
OP
ashleen

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Well.........I guess the coin is an authentic late roman AE3 of Constantius II .....just like Gunner said :) :) :) :)
I've had 3 coin dealers tell me that now :) :) :) .......(altho I was quite satisfied with Gunner's opinion :)
Sure did take me long enogh to get back to this, huh? Oh well, last year kinda was the year from Hell :(

Seems it's not worth more than a few bucks; tho.....oh well......I like it :) ....and i LOVE that it's soooooooooo old :)

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWEET very good news ASH 8)

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
I know how you feel about the age thing, I found a chinese cash coin here in Wi, I am told it dates to 1796 !!! It was probably dropped by some kid(MAYBE a railroad worker, but I doubt it), either way it is by FAR the oldest coin I've gotten, and no matter how it happened, I'm still in the pre-1800 club !!! Very cool on the roman coin, congrats.

Attachments

• chinese coin (03).jpg
    chinese coin (03).jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 439
  • chinese coin (03).jpg
    chinese coin (03).jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 444
OP
OP
ashleen

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
gold fish said:
I know how you feel about the age thing, I found a chinese cash coin here in Wi, I am told it dates to 1796 !!!

Do you know if it's worth anything? Mine really isn't worth anything.

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Three whole dollars !!!!! (not bad considering that a quarter is only worth $.25)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread