Did Odyssey return finally the 500M of spanish coins to "España?

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX-II, GTI 2500, Sea hunter, Eagle Eye two box

Attachments

• Clip_5.jpg
    Clip_5.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,287
  • Clip_5.jpg
    Clip_5.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 1,298

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Re: Did Odyssey return finally the 500M of spanish coins to "España?

The coins can't be 'returned' as they've never been to Spain in the first place.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast

architecad said:
Hello

I'm not, like others guys here in this forum, looking almost everyday the "What happen" of this trial. Amona was right when he said 3 years ago about Odyssey and the stolen of the 500M coins; "I'll see you in the court". ;D :D

Arch

Arch, Yeah, I'm with you. I can't wait until this gets to the U.S. Supreme Court and Odyssey gets to question all of the people in the U.S. Government that made the deal with Spain that Wiki Leaks exposed. I don't think the U.S. Supreme Court and the American People are going to look kindly on that deal with Spain. Hopefully, we will have some new laws on salvage of Abandon property. Then again I don't think the archeologists will be very Happy with that Court Decision. Will You??? Somehow I don't think so.

OP
OP
architecad

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used

Saturna said:
The coins can't be 'returned' as they've never been to Spain in the first place.

Not in the US water neither!!

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

The coins are in a federal warehouse in Orlando, Florida. The coins will never be sent to Spain. Posession is 9/10 of the law. If Odyssey doesn't get to keep them, the feds will steal them!

OP
OP
architecad

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used

old man said:
architecad said:
Hello

I'm not, like others guys here in this forum, looking almost everyday the "What happen" of this trial. Amona was right when he said 3 years ago about Odyssey and the stolen of the 500M coins; "I'll see you in the court". ;D :D

Arch

Arch, Yeah, I'm with you. I can't wait until this gets to the U.S. Supreme Court and Odyssey gets to question all of the people in the U.S. Government that made the deal with Spain that Wiki Leaks exposed. I don't think the U.S. Supreme Court and the American People are going to look kindly on that deal with Spain. Hopefully, we will have some new laws on salvage of Abandon property. Then again I don't think the archeologists will be very Happy with that Court Decision. Will You??? Somehow I don't think so.

So, according with your statement, still are you waiting for the US Supreme Court's last decision? The rest of the comments is only comments and personal opinions. ??? ???.

To be honest, Odyssey lost the first case in its own territory-Florida. Years before, An american treasure hunter lost another case (Juno) against Spain. What do you expect now with this last decision? Wiki leaks exposed the "everybody's old dirty rags" and US took part of this party, so I don't think the Supreme Court will use that argument as fact to determine a last decision. Maybe the US Supreme Court could use prior information about past cases related with abandon ships in US water, treasure hunters sued on court and Spain claiming.

Keep me informed, please

Good luck to Odyssey!! :-\

OP
OP
architecad

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used

Salvor6 said:
The coins are in a federal warehouse in Orlando, Florida. The coins will never be sent to Spain. Posession is 9/10 of the law. If Odyssey doesn't get to keep them, the feds will steal them!

The US Supreme Court will say the last word. I know you wish the coins stay in Florida.

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Saturna said:
:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: So Odyssey is the rightful owner :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used

Well, they were the ones who went to the trouble and expense to recover them, and Spain did nothing to recover them, effectively abandoning them, so ...

... I would say yes, Odyssey owns them.

Unfortunately they chose to store them in a country that is hostile to treasure hunters.

OP
OP
architecad

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY said:
Saturna said:
:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: So Odyssey is the rightful owner :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

May be the coins were found close to Miami beach :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

old man said:
architecad said:
Hello

Arch

" Hopefully, we have some new laws on salvage of Abandon property" :laughing7: Does the US make it up as it go's???
What's to stop Spain making a new law? Just move the goal posts so you can win !
Spain has clearly stated it never abandon any of it's ships
Ossy

OP
OP
architecad

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used

Saturna said:
Well, they were the ones who went to the trouble and expense to recover them, and Spain did nothing to recover them, effectively abandoning them, so ...

... I would say yes, Odyssey owns them.

Unfortunately they chose to store them in a country that is hostile to treasure hunters.

Saturna said
Spain did nothing to recover them, effectively abandoning them, so ...

When Spain lost the coins? in 1800? In that time there wasn't the following stuff as modern technology

1. Sonar
2. Electricity
3. Underwater robot.
4. Underwater metal detectors
5. Computers

So, what do you expect to recover those 500M at that depth without modern technology?

Saturna said;

Hey, I live in Maryland and if I go to Assateague island National Park with a metal detector, you will see me behind bars soon.

:laughing7: :laughing7:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Salvor6 said:
Yes, more than likely the latter of the two, unfortunately.

OP
OP
architecad

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Re: Did Odyssey return finally the 500M of spanish coins to "España"?

Odyssey tried to play games with this treasure and Spain. I don't care if Odyssey found a treasure in the bottom of the sea but it's a "dirty strategy" the way that they worked and coordinated with the English government to remove the 500M secretly, sending them by air rather to transport them using the Odyssey's vessel... why? They had everything planned.

I hope with this lessons they'd learned to respect and play clean with others country and countries' treasures, because the next generation of treasure hunter will be affected with a "NO" when they go to ask a permission in foreigner country for treasure hunting.

To all shipwreck hunter from any part of United States of America; I have nothing against American or this country because I don't approve the Odyssey's performance about this case of the 500M. I'm a treasure hunter and citizen of this country since born like Odyssey, Mel fisher and anybody else. This is not Patriotism but a ethic issue. I make the difference respecting the private property and foreigner laws and I expect you too.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used

They didn't need to ask permission to go to, and recover stuff, in international waters.

OP
OP
architecad

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used

Saturna said:
They didn't need to ask permission to go to, and recover stuff, in international waters.

Well, if I visit to you, in your house and I leave my wallet in your house, that doesn't means that you own my wallet and you won't return it to me.

Saturna,

What happen if Odyssey did it wrong?

VOC

Apr 11, 2006
Atlantic Ocean
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"Well, if I visit to you, in your house and I leave my wallet in your house, that doesn't means that you own my wallet and you won't return it to me."

If you had known where your wallet was and made no attempt to get it back for 300 years, I think you would in any court lose the right of ownership, especially if you had stolen the contents of the wallet in the first place.

The Spanish Crown may have some preverse claim on the vessel as it was theirs, but the cargo was never owned by the Crown as it was a commercial cargo, and I belive the Crown never paid out the owners for their loss so any claim by the Spanish should be rejected.

OP
OP
architecad

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used

VOC said:
"Well, if I visit to you, in your house and I leave my wallet in your house, that doesn't means that you own my wallet and you won't return it to me."

If you had known where your wallet was and made no attempt to get it back for 300 years, I think you would in any court lose the right of ownership, especially if you had stolen the contents of the wallet in the first place.

The Spanish Crown may have some preverse claim on the vessel as it was theirs, but the cargo was never owned by the Crown as it was a commercial cargo, and I belive the Crown never paid out the owners for their loss so any claim by the Spanish should be rejected.

Hey Claudio

you said:
If you had known where your wallet was and made no attempt to get it back for 300 years

How do you going to get it back at such depth with no modern technology? with a huge bell?

Arch

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Spain has no more of a claim to the gold than Germany does to the gold stolen by Nazis during WWII......

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter said:
Spain has no more of a claim to the gold than Germany does to the gold stolen by Nazis during WWII......
Exactly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread