Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You hunted that place for 20 plus years... your glass is definitely more than half full when it comes to that particular property.. You could probably say your cup overfloweth. Just because the property owner decided he wanted to try to find some stuff himself don't take it that personally .. Especially when all he has to do is spend a few minutes on the internet to get the facts..
You'll get more properties yes I actually think I may be better at hunting my local territories than these guys but never once did I think it was any kind of a contest or feel I needed to be better than they are I do my own thing I could really care less who thinks who is better at what.
The same goes for all these forms everybody can be a legend in their own mind if they want more power to them doesn't make me feel any less... Okay I've had it with this subject for now..
Why don't I just post some recent finds and make this a combination thread... Maybe there will even be some roundness in the hole!! Haha..

View attachment 1150769

View attachment 1150770

View attachment 1150773

View attachment 1150775

View attachment 1150774
Nothing nice and pretty about the hole I dug for this musician button I had to cut roots out of it and everything

View attachment 1150784

View attachment 1150785

View attachment 1150776

View attachment 1150777

View attachment 1150779

View attachment 1150783
Some great old finds GatorBoy...thanks for the pics.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My two cents... don't take yourself too seriously.. Most other people don't.
I'm not concerned with someone else's splinter when I have my own plank to deal with

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you lookingdown I want to raise the mood of the thread a little

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone in this hobby has their own style of treasure hunting and has their own slang. If you don't like the show then don't watch it. Their not pushing anyone to do it their way or offend any of us. They only get overly enthusiastic and talk they way they do to keep people entertained. Like I said, how boring would it be to follow one of us around and actually film how it really is. I think these guys are two great treasure hunters who are high on life which is rare these days. If you don't like the way someone hunts cause it's not the way you would do it or you hate the way people talk about their finds is sad.
Well said...I hate when someone thinks their way is the "right" and "only" way to do something...there is no right or wrong way...do whats right for yourself.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They act like immature children who got a metal detector for Christmas and its still Christmas day...

I mean who do they think is watching those shows to begin with... it would be mostly people like us or those interested in MDing...
Professional MATURE ... REAL life detecting may be less entertaining but I would rather be following "bumps on a log" around than those idiots...
They can be entertaining but they are not realistic... and whats the word... Ahhh yes... obnoxious... and "weird"... which amounts to the ONLY "ratings" they can pull...
I mean just look at the kardashians and other similar shows... its the "freak factor"... we watch just to see what they will do next...

They should produce a down to earth detecting show...
Showing the "whole" picture... even the farce of it... no edited crapola...
Then the ratings would skyrocket...
Because...
People like watching reality and success more than dancing clowns.

To comment on one of the first statements the question who do they think are watching the shows? Loads of children are watching the shows actually.. And the program is sponsored by companies who want to sell their products for years to come it only makes sense

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can watch someone dig 57 pull tabs 25 bottle caps and a couple wheat pennies I'll change the channel.. So would most of America

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And yet here you are not saying anything negative about all the other shows and directing everything at diggers... Ironic?
No irony - the Diggers are what we are talkin bout
the other shows have been discussed at the some length on many of the other TNET forums - this show also
Im jealous of your recent finds - cause everytime I try and plan a hunt this year - plans have gotten shot -
and there are some positive things I like about the show - especially compared to the others - is that they show the bad as well as the good - most times
but are you honestly saying if someone asked you for your advice or help with the show that there is not things you'd add or change or like to see more of
Show I signed up for - I wanted to visit with other TH'ers around the country - they wanted to try mostly water show - but even though im mostly a waterhunter now - was hoping to hook up with wet sand dry sand hunters and do a few relic hunts in the dirt - was hoping to make a return or two (possibly have people write in for us to find stuff for them they lost) - either myself or with other hunters- and possibly help some historical sites out too
like I said Im "friends" with others on DigWars show - I did not like some of their antics either - tons of people hated the "stickin Lincoln" thing where guys slowed other hunters by throwing zincs in front of other hunters - but I was privy to rough footage before editing - and was at a small cast gathering where behind the scenes stuff was discussed - I know mistakes were made in editing where digging and order of recoveries were out of order but cast has nothing to do with editing and are not shown final cut to correct mistakes - but they do a lot of reshooting and what all these reality shows do - what they call the "interview" where they break away from the actor and do the one on one and talk about the history of the spot or about a recovery - these are done after the field filming - you'd think you'd get your facts right before filming this
and sometimes theyre off - one of the shows not Diggers -an appraiser I think kept calling one of the finds a silver dollar when it was a half - know a bunch of people caught that - tough when your directors, producers and editors know nothing about or very little about the hobby - Im surprised that a detecting company hasn't tried producing one with "detecting" people that can get it right - I know some have you tube vids - would think theyd try a show
Some say they like show cause its about regular guys making regular finds - but hey are not really hitting regular areas are they - got to wonder how others would have done in the same spots- and the farmers that talked to us about why no more hunting - it was cause of what "treasure" we were finding that they did not know about - same with the ones that actually bought machines that I know of - they are seeing dollar signs because these shows put a price on almost everything found
I think they put prices on musketballs - even if they say theyre worth a dollar - if farmer sees you got 30 of them ??? - I know they put a price on minie balls on a few of the shows and of course the stuff that is actually valuable - Diggers does sometimes say (sorry - I think all of them say now and then)- if this was in better shape or this date it would be even more valuable - they do make it more about the monetary aspect than the history a lot of the times
and that's what friends and relatives and people I work with ask me all the time - whats that worth - whats this worth - only a few want to hear bout the history and that's mostly due to these shows - a lot of people I know actually watch these shows because they know I do it but don't know what or how I do it and that's when the questions get asked - and not only about the digger guys - I got asked if hunters do the throw pennies thing and boom baby stuff - but I do get asked if I did cartwheels after this ring or that coin - a lot
I really need to get out more - I know :BangHead:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the show Prospectors on the weather channel - always seems interesting even when some of the stones they find aren't rare or valuable - don't know how their ratings are - think they are in season 3 - but makes me want to go out and look with them

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the show Prospectors on the weather channel - always seems interesting even when some of the stones they find aren't rare or valuable - don't know how their ratings are - think they are in season 3 - but makes me want to go out and look with them
Is that the one where they dig for gemstones on the sides of mountains out west?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Well said...I hate when someone thinks their way is the "right" and "only" way to do something...there is no right or wrong way...do whats right for yourself.

Amen! Final words...Close this tread...

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds Gator! See how interesting this thread became when GatorBoy posted his finds!
I watch Diggers for their finds and great places they get to hunt! Hey, it's TV and way easier to watch than digging through youtube videos!
I'm just glad to be on this planet! The small stuff doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
I agree with OBN. So let's all get out and find some more treasure. It's what we do and we all do it the same way but in our own way! Go get some gold my friends!!

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Informative?? - I will pick out one instance - first off have not seen every episode and have not rewatched any - but
episode they were hunting in RI I think - guy says he has a gold button - turned out to be a treble gilt flat button - they said it was from 1700s - its 1800s
he said they are extremely rare - Ive found 100s of them over the years and friends have found more than me - actually very common in New England
no harm to our hobby ??- Ive lost permissions and so have friends because farmers have seen some of these shows and now think the buttons we've shown them over the yrs and said have more historical value that monetary - now think Ive been lying and have been finding rare buttons
they have stated other wrong info and values of others items they've found also
don't like comments like - this horse shoe could have been off George Washingtons horse - this bullet could be from Jesse James gun etc - always trying to make everything bigger and better than it is . "Hey..I think I have a treasure chest...oh its a piece of cast iron off a stove"
Trying to create a TH'ers language for all of us to use - "civ" "cologne" "roundness" and every episode they have to explain to us what each of those words mean in a balloon - say what you found - you find a colonial coin - just say it - you got silver - say it !
no they got to say "sil" then they explain then balloon pops up - "Sil means they found a silver coin" - is this necessary ?
and how about their digging - I use a sharp large thick bladed knife - I cut perfect plugs and when I walk away - you don't know Ive been there
Ive seen many times they use their lesche and then item is still in the hole and they rip the crap out of the sides of the hole trying to retrieve it
theres no way half that grass survived and I don't see them filming them putting dirt and grass back perfectly - but have not seen them all
so you can tell me Im wrong -
I use pinpointer once hole is open and bang I usually pin point and pop the item - they take forever on most of their targets

If they spent less time fooling around - and running/cartwheeling/somersaulting a 100 yrds to show each other an Indianhead penny - would have a lot more time hunting
and if they perfected their digging techniques - they would retrieve faster and get more also
don't get me wrong - - my hunt partners and I joke around -Ive yelled to my friend "come here ...I got a good one.." and as he approached told him I found a cob ...only to show him a old corn cob.- He got me back when he said "come here ...I got a real..." I ran over ...he dug an old fishing reel . We talk when hunt is slow - usually about past finds from previous hunts and ideas about the hunt site itself - so we aren't always boring and just all business
just the other day on a colonial field hunt - my friend yelled "I got juice!"
and then held up a discarded juice box :tongue3:

PS - actually having their side bets and having to pay price at end is funny - Im not stuffy - believe me - Im a class clown type
but the tree climbing and antics is completely not necessary - unless you find a gold bar or something really rare - but over a worn thin merc dime you think is a Spanish real ?

::)Good thing we have a veteran of the hobby to explain how the show really is and what it should be. What season is your show in now?:laughing7: National Geographic doesn't air this show for those already in the hobby. Haven't you ever wondered who the last person was to hold or touch that old coin/relic when you dig it up? Dream a little; have an imagination, and if you are wrong about the ID or the rarity of the coin/relic, WHO CARES! This is supposed to be a fun hobby, not metal detecting with nuns! I respect your opinion as much as you are entitled to express it but lighten up a little. It's called entertainment and there is this great device called a remote that changes the channel when you don't like something you see on your television. Thanks for your professional opinion though. Happy...er, I mean, Serious Hunting! :icon_salut:

Last edited:

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the show and KG & Ringy. They remind me of Lookindown and Me for the past 40 years. We've always had a great time with whatever we have done and never gave a :censored: what others thought about us. Everyone is entitled to their opinion for sure but I just can't understand why some think there is a certain way to do things or you are wrong. Some of the shows have guys digging things up with backhoes and dynamite but for some reason just because they don't cut their plug in a certain manner people have something to say about it. I see the BOOM BABY posts and they have a few comments but when it comes to Diggers they usually get tons of replies. Whether you like or dislike them they must be doing something right....

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
The reason i hate the show os because it gives me the shakes. Next thing you know im ripping up tiles and cutting a plug in the foundation with a concrete saw. Hell i had a freakin metal detecting dream last night.

sent from a sending device

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I been detecting since 1975 ::) and if you read my other posts :laughing7: - I got offered a show before they did - I was under a contract with a production company but could not get together on filming schedule - they wanted me to be available for 18 months after pilot was filmed - no way I was going to give up my federal job on chance of doing a show for a few yrs - I got offered to be on one of the other shows too and people from Digger show contacted me also and had me on the phone for a few hours picking my brain
I also tried to put production co. unto Beau Ouimette
https://www.youtube.com/user/aquachigger
as well as a few others here that I thought would have been good for a show
supposedly they were supposed to be doing a show on guys working on Fla. treasure coast area that I told them to contact
thought they were filming for that but have not seen anything more on that yet

::)Good thing we have a veteran of the hobby to explain how the show really is and what it should be. What season is your show in now?:laughing7: National Geographic doesn't air this show for those already in the hobby. Haven't you ever wondered who the last person was to hold or touch that old coin/relic when you dig it up? Dream a little; have an imagination, and if you are wrong about the ID or the rarity of the coin/relic, WHO CARES! This is supposed to be a fun hobby, not metal detecting with nuns! I respect your opinion as much as you are entitled to express it but lighten up a little. It's called entertainment and there is this great device called a remote that changes the channel when you don't like something you see on your television. Thanks for your professional opinion though. Happy...er, I mean, Serious Hunting! :icon_salut:

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like their passion and excitement for what they are doing, but still wish I had some of their energy. I agree what they are doing is more exciting than an old fat man like myself digging a few coins and lots of pull tabs. I do get a kick out of putting my head phones on some curious onlookers head and let them listen to what I hear when I swing my detector over a target.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I been detecting since 1975 ::) and if you read my other posts :laughing7: - I got offered a show before they did - I was under a contract with a production company but could not get together on filming schedule - they wanted me to be available for 18 months after pilot was filmed - no way I was going to give up my federal job on chance of doing a show for a few yrs - I got offered to be on one of the other shows too and people from Digger show contacted me also and had me on the phone for a few hours picking my brain
I also tried to put production co. unto Beau Ouimette
https://www.youtube.com/user/aquachigger
as well as a few others here that I thought would have been good for a show
supposedly they were supposed to be doing a show on guys working on Fla. treasure coast area that I told them to contact
thought they were filming for that but have not seen anything more on that yet
I heard they were filming for a Florida beach hunting show too...that was last summer, wonder what happened.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions