Diggers season 4 done filming

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
They can't possibly be done filming this season- I haven't got my airplane ticket yet to appear as a guest digger.

I bet they are going to wait to the last minute to have me come in, adds to the drama and builds tension.

Last edited:

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard they were filming for a Florida beach hunting show too...that was last summer, wonder what happened.

I heard the two guys found a silver ring and got so excited they spotted a dolphin and rode it around the swim area then got arrested.... Just Kidding :laughing7: I always thought a water detecting show would be great but I guess so little of us actually hunt the water that they don't think it would.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have watched many of Mr. Oimette's youtube videos. He would be very good on his own show. If nothing else, some of his stuff could be uploaded directly to PBS. That may be a good idea.
Casper2, I meant no harm in my post. I apologize if it offended you in anyway.:notworthy: In my encounters with the public while metal detecting, the "diggers" guys are very appreciated and enjoyed. From that perspective, National Geographic has hit the mark. I admit that while I enjoy the show, I would like to see a documentary style show about our hobby. The problem is that it may only be interesting to us detectorists and possibly too technical for the public.
Highly unlikely that it would go for 4 seasons but you never know:dontknow:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard the two guys found a silver ring and got so excited they spotted a dolphin and rode it around the swim area then got arrested.... Just Kidding :laughing7: I always thought a water detecting show would be great but I guess so little of us actually hunt the water that they don't think it would.
That's funny right there.

AuSomeness

Aug 12, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I seriously busted out laughing when I read this. :laughing7::thumbsup:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know GB...
I feel a little lamed out by sometimes coming off as a prick and so opinionated...
but see it like this...
people like yourself are way more interesting and qualified in my opinion...
AND experienced more than those guys who kind of in my opinion make the rest of us look like a joke...
I actually have watched the show quite a bit... first couple seasons...
A buddy of mine really likes it as well...
And it is WAY better than the "boom baby" guy.

I just think of the "guys" like yourself or Casper that I have lurked and watched on Tnet for so long with your finds, exploits and personalities...
That are WAY more suited for a "show"...
about what I love :)

I just would like to see MDing represented by a little more... how should I say... "COOL" !... heh

So... apologies for being "crass" and "whatever."
Was not directed at you or others in thread...
Was directed toward the show.
:)

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its all good ..I just take the show for what it is one of only a few choices on the television and frankly I think it's the best out of them.
Regardless of all the bells and whistles and other distractions it's got that "IT" thing for me... I don't know how to best describe it other than in my own terms I've grown up surfing most of my life and through the years especially when I was younger during long stretches usually in the summer when there is no waves we would just put in 1 surf video after another and just get that "stoked"feeling it gets you amped to go out.. I get that from watching diggers when it comes to metal detecting the other shows just didn't have that for me.
Regardless of all of our different opinions there's something about this hobby we all have in common... We enjoy it.
And right now I'm happy I found a Segway to put some recent local "Stoke" on this thread..MUHAHA... Stuart Florida... Hey I can't metal detect all the time

ForumRunner_20150423_223312.png

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and Im not jealous - I was offered a show before they were - even signed a contract but I have a federal job that I just could not give up or work around the production companies schedule for a show that pays about what I make - without the benefits and retirement - that might last a few yrs - nope

Do you have a YouTube channel or a series of DVDs of your hunts? I'm just curious how someone gets offered a show. It is my understanding that the "Diggers" were approached due to their instructional DVDs. Having a show seems like something you were interested in, given that you signed a contract, so why not make your own show on YouTube on your own schedule? (If you haven't already)

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fail to see the logic in how Diggers is "ruining the hobby". They respect the land and their finds, and give most (if not all) to the landowners. Some of their passion may be scripted for television, but is that so terribly wrong? Is the real issue that these shows bring more people into the hobby, creating more competition? I think it may also have to do with a generational gap. For example, in the 1950's, tame rock'n'roll like Elvis was considered evil and satanic by much of the conservative white population in America.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a YouTube channel or a series of DVDs of your hunts? I'm just curious how someone gets offered a show. It is my understanding that the "Diggers" were approached due to their instructional DVDs. Having a show seems like something you were interested in, given that you signed a contract, so why not make your own show on YouTube on your own schedule? (If you haven't already)

considering how many scouts post here looking for volunteers for shows,
I have my doubts they use You Tube, unless they have already gone thru
the entire list there, and consider forums a last resort.

I know TV show production likes to steal ideas from each other , but consdering how many are still
stealing the treasure Hunting idea, it must be a profitable one for them yet.
of course the more there are on tv, the sooner they will kill the popularity

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When they first started prowling - handful of people here told them a few people for them to contact and I was one of them - I wrote over 30 articles (on mostly water hunting-I will send you a link) and have helped 100s here and on other forums over the years - I used to write longer than normal posts of trips and finds before I started writing for mag - and that's how mag started asking me to write - I was offered to write for Lost treasure yrs ago too
They were hoping I would do some youtube vids - all I have is a few slide shows of finds from last few yrs
I had Skype meetings with them in 2011 and they sent me a contract to do a pilot in one capacity or another and then a show if it went well and they could sell it - but they wanted me to take to much time off from work - I had contract altered a little - they had told me that if I could not produce the WOW factor they would and I told them I know way to many people on forums to pull rabbits out of hats and that if I could not come up with the "goods" on every hunt that I could show older finds and tell stories about those and be informative that way and provide a wow for show endings - also I know plenty of good hunters across the country and could hook up with them to hunt or stop by and see their finds if we were in the area and hunt was not successful and have them show their wow finds - What I mean was if lets say I hunted in Gatorboys neck of the woods - If the show let me invite him for a hunt =great - if not but we were filming in the area and did not do that great - we could try and do a drive by and visit and have him show us some good finds from over the yrs - I wanted to do a show- if I did one - that I could bring as many other TH'ers in as possible - maybe do a hunt with showing young kids to hunt on dry sand - maybe take some autistic kids out - I usually make a few returns every year and thought that would put hobby in good light too and if didn't find something to return - then Im sure I could have found someone else to make one and film it at end of show. Would have like to volunteer for some historical digs etc.
Im not saying these ideas is what they should do - just what I wanted to do or wanted to see - I actually overwehelmed them with ideas and they did not know that our hobby had so many branches and types of detecting and machines etc. They didn't really have a clue at all - I mean the people I was trying to deal with .
I was asked since if I would like to be considered for another show - myself and a few others from here were. Producers went with someone else with youtibe vids - but even though I was interested - once again scheduling would be a prob. I don't know about KG and Ringy - but guys I know doing the shows are mostly self employed - or have jobs that allows them to take time off at will - Mike of Digwars - works for Fisher - Larry is self employed I think - I think Josh is too
- Boom baby is also - don't know about Bill Ladd and his partner
- I gave Whydahs name to some people - he is self employed - retired - and has been making good finds - been hunting for over 40 yrs also and he owns a nice boat - so they could have done off shore stuff and islands - I know some one called him and picked his brains for spots - but don't know much else. I was contacted by email by guy from Diggers and then by phone couple yrs ago and he asked about places to go on the Cape and some other ideas - he said something about maybe contacting me to come out maybe and meet them or hook up and show them around (not be on the show) - but never heard from that guy again -
I asked first and with their permission gave out a few other guys names to producers from tnet a few yrs ago (many from Fla.)- don't know if any were contacted or not - thought they did contact guys with licenses on diving treasure cost - cause I had contacted one of those guys and asked if interested in doing guest on show they offered me for an episode - the producers like the idea of finding real treasure (actually that's more of what they were going in for - they thought a lot of us shallow hunters find gold bars and pieces of eight all the time on the beaches and that's what they were looking for) Gary Drayton is another guy that would prob be good on a show too. I think there are many here that would be - like a few of the others have stated - would have like to see more of a veteran hunter or hunters do one - someone with experience and knowledge of history and finds - these guys are learning on the job kind of - which is good for newbies that want to grow with the show or for guys that don't get to hit areas they hit ( I have hit spots like they have and travel a lot so not much of a draw for me on that front ) - but I like to learn new stuff from a show I guess - I still learn stuff after 40 yrs - but they don't have nothing new to show me really - so maybe that is part of "my" problem - I just think they can joke around and get excited without the somersaults and tree climbing - put that in a blooper reel - I don't mind the goofy stuff on the bets at the end - and I think it is confusing to use all the "Digger language" - just say you found a colonial coin - the cologne and civ and pock and sil - veterans don't want to learn that language and if they have to explain every episode what they mean - which they do either verbally or with a balloon text - I think its confusing people that know nothing or just getting into the hobby. some think Im a stuffed shirt - I fool around when finds are slow - Ive thrown jellyfish at my hunt partner - snuck up underwater and grabbed their leg and scared the crap out of them - never thought of it - but if they wanted a laugh for a water or beach show - you could draw a bunch of seagulls in slowly with bread and then when partners not looking - throw a crap load of bread on him - see I can be silly and a prankster too - or during sweeps week - just add some blood in the water
now who wants to go hunting with me ???

PS seems like majority on this post that do like Diggers - totally hated American Diggers
but thing is - many guys liked it also - but everything about that show was wrong - please don't hate me for saying that
I know a lot about stuff behind the scenes from that one -- it was bad and did do damage to the hobby I feel

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Really? I guess I haven't seen those posts. If I were a scout, I'd primarily focus on YouTube, because it gives you an insight to someone's personality and screen presence. Seems like that would take a lot of leg work out of the search.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
actually - thought I read that Diggers were found because of their youtube vids
I know all the first season people from Digwars - 4 were from youtube vids and other 2 had done a couple of shows and produced their own vids and sent them out to different companies
I think Bill Ladd was from his youtube vids also
I was contacted thru tnet forums

I know TV show production likes to steal ideas from each other , but consdering how many are still
stealing the treasure Hunting idea, it must be a profitable one for them yet.
of course the more there are on tv, the sooner they will kill the popularity

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really? I guess I haven't seen those posts. If I were a scout, I'd primarily focus on YouTube, because it gives you an insight to someone's personality and screen presence. Seems like that would take a lot of leg work out of the search.

They contacted me thru PMs here - then emails then 3 long Skype meetings and maybe a phone call or 2 also -they read my articles and liked that I had been around in the hobby
they wanted me to try and zip out a vid or 2 - but I was into just taking pics at the time
-( short side story- tried doing a short vid on a CW hunt this year - I take out my micro recording camera and Im filming me digging a target and a guy that is on a detecting show starts calling to me "Casper..Hey Casper!.." and Im narrating "..I got a good signal here ...could be an iron frag because others were found near by..." "Casper..Hey ..blahblahbalh..." I finally sighed and told him -"I was trying to film this" and shut it off and he turned red and said
" oh crap...Im sorry ...thought you just have been on the phone" - so that ruined that attempt at one vid recently- I wasn't gonna rebury and reshoot -

Ive tried to do others and something goes wrong - once I took about an hours worth of water vid - thought this is gonna be great - I got coins and rings and gold and there was all kinds of underwater wildlife and I think I got a good one to finally post - come to find out - I had camera in standby mode - felt like a fool cause when I found an item I would hold in front of the camera and spin it around so you get a good look at it and I tried different retrieval methods and pointed out different fish and other wildlife and I showed some junk targets once again holding for all to see and showed me taking out some broken glass - so I wasted a bunch of hunt time as well -hoping to try again this year when water warms
okay back to what I started
So I thought I would just hook up with them for a week and do a test or pilot - but then they me told about time involved and Id have to be available at drop of a hat and pretty much at their beacon call and Id have to pay for driving or flights and probably for my own hotels - I had to go to them - they weren't coming to me - I did sign a contract but I added some stuff that they did not like and had only a little contact after that - I told them I would gladly help with knowledge and wouldn't mind being a guest- but to do a season - not for me - at least not till I retire
I know one guy that is off show after one season because he had a scheduling prob and show said "need you now...you signed contract" and he could not or would not drop everything for them and he's been replaced -(I think the ones on season 2 that are replacing him were found on youtube also)

one other thing my contract said that I would not have been able to deal with - there was a paragraph that stated in round about way -directors and producers are gods and you will do as your are told - only speak when spoken to ..and keep all ideas and opinions to yourself .

I know a well known hunter (if I threw his name out - many know him- but not gonna do that) that was filming a pilot with another acquaintance of mine a few yrs ago for another production company - he kept telling them what he wanted to do and correcting them - got in a fight eventually and they canned the both of them - I know not many knew about them filming and my acquaintance was po'ed - cause he is a dealer and thought he would not only get a show and make a few bucks - but thought he'd make a killing thru his dealership and lost out cause of the other guy - the other guy kept hinting to the show and stuff found and think they were pissed about that also - cause you sign a letter of confidentiality that you wont talk about anything till that episode is actually released

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I totally agree American diggers was all wrong.
I couldn't even watch that show in good conscience

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know a few guys that said when they tried asking for new permission after that show came out = Amer.Dig. - people asked them if they were going to bring back hoes in - or said no out right and said Im not going to have you bulldozing my fields

I totally agree American diggers was all wrong.
I couldn't even watch that show in good conscience

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
American Diggers was Emmy worthy, you are all just haters. Haters got to hate

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I fail to see the logic in how Diggers is "ruining the hobby". They respect the land and their finds, and give most (if not all) to the landowners. Some of their passion may be scripted for television, but is that so terribly wrong? Is the real issue that these shows bring more people into the hobby, creating more competition? I think it may also have to do with a generational gap. For example, in the 1950's, tame rock'n'roll like Elvis was considered evil and satanic by much of the conservative white population in America.

Well, the more people that take up the hobby, the more new detectors are sold, and the more $$ that the detector companies make to fund R&D for new and hopefully better products.
There is such a big early "drop out" rate in this hobby that the threat of long term competition is minuscule at best. It would be an interesting statistic to be able to track.:icon_scratch:

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You nailed it...many veteran detectorist don't want this hobby to go mainstream...I do it for fun and relaxation, so bring on the competition and bring on season four of the best detecting show on tv...the guys that hate it will be watching too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread