Discovery ch. Gold Rush Alaska

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Stupidity at it's finest. :notworthy:
Huh, Luck, they are going to need more than that and maybe some serious professional help.
But hey whatever the coach potatos of America will watch, all about the ratings.

S IL THer

Nov 29, 2009
S. Illinois
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, DFX, Coinmaster Pro,White's Eagle II SL, White's 6DB
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bumpstick said:
I have recorded it and been watching it. Too much repetitive scenes like I forgot what happened between commercials ???. Looking for that pay streak and working it is the way to go. A few sample holes probably didn't hurt just made a big mess of the place. To have some one doing the sample panning that is color blind and never worked a gold pan before :icon_scratch:

The neighbor across the river seams to be on the right course.

Most shows on the history channel and science channel do this (especially Meteorite Men); I guess they gotta fill the void to make it a full hour!

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gravel Hog said:
Stupidity at it's finest. :notworthy:
Huh, Luck, they are going to need more than that and maybe some serious professional help.
But hey whatever the coach potatos of America will watch, all about the ratings.

Sure beats dancing with the stars...

S IL THer

Nov 29, 2009
S. Illinois
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, DFX, Coinmaster Pro,White's Eagle II SL, White's 6DB
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
........and no one remembered to take a metal detector along :tongue3: :dontknow:...............pretty stupid!!

Joe Hoo?

Feb 13, 2009
Southern and Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo St, Compadre
S IL THer said:
........and no one remembered to take a metal detector along :tongue3: :dontknow:...............pretty stupid

even when i go grocery shopping i take a metal detector lmao sounds like some piss poor planning on this whole trip for these wanna be's.... HH

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well they have a lot in common with the first gold rush bunch, being that they are looking to better their lives and are willing to endure hardship without any guarantee of success. Sure they are green but they are doing what a lot of us only wish we were doing.

It's a classic example of the blind leading the blind alright and these men are under a lot of pressure to succeed but they do have a lot going for them, they have each other even though the tempers flair at times, and they have plenty of equipment to get the job done, Plus they are smart enough to seek help when all else fails. I'll take ignorance on fire over knowledge on ice any day.

My hat is off to them.

With that being said, any operation using heavy equipment is dangerous and a serious accident is bound to happen due to carelessness on someones part, especially with an inexperienced crew. I am surprised they have gone this long without a serious injury.

GG~

motell6

Nov 11, 2010
Interesting the neighbor told them to dig down to bedrock then start prospecting and thats what the bankrollin father wanted to do but his son changed the course to the paydirt trough lines.The neighbor said he was pulling $30,000.a day out of his glory hole,and showed a large leather bag of nuggets.The group is not getting along with each other,and I dont really see them getting enough gold out before the ground freezes for the backers to break even.They did not do as much advanced research before starting this project. The wifes and children must be haven nightmares in that hell hole.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:tongue3: You missed the absolute most important pertinent fact-TOOK'M 2 YEARS AND OVER $200,000 to get there and these yahoos got less than 12 weeks and $60k left=no way Jose. 46 guns and thousands of rounds of ammo and no DETECTOR :help: d"oh a true Homer moment. Wish the idjets all the luck in the world but with almost no reguard for safety for some, this is looking pretty ugly. New guy saved their butts last night,missed where he came from???-John

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check this out... :tongue3:

and this......

motell6

Nov 11, 2010
The unknown factor is what is the discovery channel paying these guys and there familys to act out this sick drama. Looks like just another reality show where the producers rake in millions from the advertisers,and the players get a bonus and their expenses paid.There airport hanger business is going broke,and got $150 thousand to purchase mineing equipment and fund a gold hunt,2000 miles from anywhere.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ed T said:
Is it just my opinion, or does anyone else think that Todd and his dad are f*&%$@! idiots?

Ed T :)

Now, now.. Not only Todd and his dad, the whole bunch or at least most of them seem to have more guns and heavy equipment then brains..

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well fabricated so as to make it entertaining, stupidity. The whole clash between Tood and Jim was most likely calculated.
Wow I can't believe the neighbor is in hs 90's and still at it, doesn't look much over 50.
At least someone on the show knows what there doing.

I don't see it was posted yet so here is Part six for folks without cable.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There just trying to fit in, there isn't anyone living in Alaska that doesn't own a gun.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gravel Hog said:
Well fabricated so as to make it entertaining, stupidity. The whole clash between Tood and Jim was most likely calculated.
Wow I can't believe the neighbor is in hs 90's and still at it, doesn't look much over 50.
At least someone on the show knows what there doing.

I noticed the old neighbor Mr Schnabel was missing a finger, testament to the dangers of operating equipment.
As far as the stupidity of the miners go, I have worked with much worse in my time and I wouldn't be opposed to partnering with any of them because they are motivated hard workers, especially Jack and Dorsey, they may go off half cocked but they are not lazy.
Of course I wouldn't have any trouble keeping them in line. ::)

Here is some background on the neighbor, John Schnabel. Quite a man indeed!
http://alaskadispatch.com/voices/small-town-alaska/4133-turning-90s-no-picnic-its-a-dance-party

GG~

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the tidbit, GG.
John Schnabel seems like a real hoot, type a guy you'd like to spend some time with.
See mining builds great character and keeps you fit for life. :thumbsup:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gravel Hog said:
Thanks for the tidbit, GG.
John Schnabel seems like a real hoot, type a guy you'd like to spend some time with.
See mining builds great character and keeps you fit for life. :thumbsup:

You have that right, It's unbelievable how many old timers I have met while out prospecting who can out work me. I'm only 61 but these guys are in their 80's and 90's and work like men half their age. :o

GG~

1972buick455

Tenderfoot
Apr 11, 2010
Seems like there's a real negative vibe by most about the guys on the show. I think that any group that would risk it all and go up there on a dream has to be a little crazy. Plus, this is reality TV, you do understand that they are going to have to sensationalize every risk, every argument, and situation because otherwise the show would be a bore! Like the river crossing, I bet they knew that there was a spot up stream to cross from the git go. They may be a little crazy and inexperienced but as long as they work hard they have a pretty good chance.

I personally think they are going to find gold. Heck, in the last episode there neighbor said he could do 20-30K worth of gold in a 8 hour shift. If their claim is half as good they will do great. Heck, the fact is they have some excellent equipment and there is six of them. Six guys who don't know what they are doing could be worth more than one who does. They ain't trying to put a man on the moon, there moving rocks (I know there is a lot to it, but really, its not brain surgery).

From the interview posted above, which I believe was after the last show of the season, it seems as if Todd is pretty cheery. It also seems like if he's talking about tax issues and the like he found enough to worry about those issues. Of course he wasn't allowed to "let the cat out of the bag." Discovery wouldn't allow that.

Klondikeike

Aug 13, 2010
Texas
Detector(s) used
H3 element detector, JeoHunter Dual 3-D Imaging Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello to all....

I have been a professional miner for over 35 years... started back when if you wanted to dredge, you built your own as there were no stores you could get what you needed off the shelf.... I met George Massie way back when his boys, Tom and Perry were in diapers....George was one of the best story tellers in the world... He didn't mind exaggerating once in a while... I guess that kind of runs in the blood of most fishermen and prospecters...lol

Today, I am mostly retired from mining.. have turned my efforts to Treasure Hunting...

I have mined and prospected (there is a significant difference between the two) from Alaska to Mexico..and most places in between...Some times I've done real well..sometimes not so well....

I have accomplished what these rookie miners are trying to do...There is one thing about mining in Alaska,. ...Alaska will try the metal of any mans' make up...and sole... the harshness of the environment.. the elements, just the logistics of simple tasks become so incredibly exaggerated.....Such as feeding the equipment the fuel needs.... in Alaska, due to extended daylight in the summer.. one can work nearly 20 hours and still have some time for general maintenance..something that is an absolute necessity in the wilderness of Alaska.... I have much similar equipment as these folks are using.. my large excavator is about 95,000 GVW..and in a 14 hour day of hard work, it will burn about 100 gals... totally, my operation, in 15 to 20 hours, will burn about 400 to 500 gals daily.... usually a simple thing, loading up with fuel... but not so when you are so far in the wilderness....and what happens when you break down...the local parts store may be hundreds of miles away..or possibly not even in Alaska at all... Fed X or UPS won't deliver way out there...lol... the logistics for food, fuel and parts become very expensive....

It is obvious these guys are rookies.. even from such diverse backgrounds.. most probably haven't ever seen a callouse on there hands before... professional mining is some of the hardest work one can or will ever do...

When loading the Gen Set container in Oregon, using 2 or 3... 1/2 inch pipe rollers slightly longer than the trailer width, would have made the loading so much easier... and soooo much less dangerous and by lifting one end at a time...the rollers can be removed for shipment and used again for delivery and unloading...

As far as bears.. I have more than a 100 bear encounters and stories..I have NEVER had to defend myself with a gun.. yes, I always felt more confident and secure holding one when an encounter became reality... but a little common sense goes a long, long way when dealing with bears.... if you don't keep a clean camp you are just ringing the dinner bell... while bears are very inquisitive... they also tend to be shy..up to a point....

I wish them well... as there is nothing like making something successful so far out in the wilderness... and Alaska is till a huge wilderness.... It will be fun to see the end... and all the trials they go through getting to the end....but I think it is rather predictable what the end will be....

Klondike Ike

Attachments

• good clean up 1.jpg
    good clean up 1.jpg
    419.7 KB · Views: 5,267

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-net Klondike!

Great to have you aboard. :icon_thumleft:
Looking forward to reading your posts.

Awesome gold you have there, must have hit a pretty good pay streak. Thanks for sharing the photo.

GG~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread