Discovery ch. Gold Rush Alaska

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eu_citzen said:
Kuger, not being familiar with Grizzles myself.

How do people know it was unprovoked attacks?
Grizzles, I think, are territorial.. If you where to act "dominant" on their ground, would/could that trigger an attack?

// Eu

Eu,if you note,one of the fellows was dragged from his tent....pretty much guaranteed that was unprovoked?There are countless accounts of victims just walking down a trail.As far as territorial,due to the large population of them that now exists,especially in the Rockies,anyplace off the pavement is not safe then?True?Bears are predators at the top of the food chain,and have no reason to fear man,and dont.I have personally witnessed one attack and we were completly taken by surprise,had no idea the bear was even in the area,fortunately for me I was not the victim and was able to use pepper spray to save my client aside from quite a few stitches and nearly bleeding to death before we got him out.
Many attacks do occur by female bears protecting there cubs,anything within eyesight in her mind is a threat,and they will attack viciously.

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good show but holycrap, someone nearly lost a toe. he started the chain saw right, but you put the bar on a log, then pull the cord, this way you dont cut a toe off. :icon_thumleft:

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
GG, I am with you as to that KD Fella. Sound like a hand. :thumbsup:
As for that group in the show.
Yes they are lacking some basic Prospecting 101. :icon_scratch:
Yes they very lacking leadership and are disorganize. :icon_scratch:
Yes there is a lot of wasted resources and energy. :icon_scratch:
Yes they do not GeeHaw together. :icon_scratch:
Yes they failed to create a cash flow before looking for the Glory Hole. :icon_scratch:
But,,,, They just might make it. :dontknow:

What I do not understand is how they put that much equipment together and transported it to Alaska on that limited budget. :dontknow:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GrayCloud said:
GG, I am with you as to that KD Fella. Sound like a hand. :thumbsup:
As for that group in the show.
Yes they are lacking some basic Prospecting 101. :icon_scratch:
Yes they very lacking leadership and are disorganize. :icon_scratch:
Yes there is a lot of wasted resources and energy. :icon_scratch:
Yes they do not GeeHaw together. :icon_scratch:
Yes they failed to create a cash flow before looking for the Glory Hole. :icon_scratch:
But,,,, They just might make it. :dontknow:

What I do not understand is how they put that much equipment together and transported it to Alaska on that limited budget. :dontknow:

I don't get it either :icon_scratch:
Evidently heavy equipment is going dirt cheap in Oregon.

mcscs

Apr 12, 2010
fla
HI, I do not post much but I think I have read everything on this web site. I was looking around and ran across this web site about the show gold rush I thought it was going to be another web site with clip of the show. But it turned out much better this guy Jim Dorsey
writes about how the show was made . Reveals that the Miner would drive down for hamburgers and go swimming in a public pool just about every night. Then they would have to read and study their scripts. For the next day shooting. They would argue about who gets to be on camera. When producers setup was shot and truck he also tells how many times things that have to be done. Also an interesting letter sent by Todd to his church group.
Todd Hoffman December 19 at 12:06am
I walk into a large room filled with evil baddas demons and they part the room as I walk through because Im a serious spiritual badass. They cringe because I got blood and guts all over my sword. My shield has dents in it and so does my helmet,
the whole letter and a lot more can be found at http://www.goldminingrealityshow.com/

Hope you find it interesting as I did about our reality show is actually made.

thanks to all you guys are keeping this web site going have learned a lot and enjoy all information you guys provide
Mike mcscs

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
:laughing7:

Attachments

• bear (Medium) (Large).jpg
    bear (Medium) (Large).jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 4,247
  • bear (Medium) (Large).jpg
    bear (Medium) (Large).jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 4,227

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mcscs said:
HI, I do not post much but I think I have read everything on this web site. I was looking around and ran across this web site about the show gold rush I thought it was going to be another web site with clip of the show. But it turned out much better this guy Jim Dorsey
writes about how the show was made . Reveals that the Miner would drive down for hamburgers and go swimming in a public pool just about every night. Then they would have to read and study their scripts. For the next day shooting. They would argue about who gets to be on camera. When producers setup was shot and truck he also tells how many times things that have to be done. Also an interesting letter sent by Todd to his church group.
Todd Hoffman December 19 at 12:06am
I walk into a large room filled with evil baddas demons and they part the room as I walk through because Im a serious spiritual badass. They cringe because I got blood and guts all over my sword. My shield has dents in it and so does my helmet,
the whole letter and a lot more can be found at http://www.goldminingrealityshow.com/

Hope you find it interesting as I did about our reality show is actually made.

thanks to all you guys are keeping this web site going have learned a lot and enjoy all information you guys provide
Mike mcscs

Thanks for the inside info MCSCS, :icon_thumleft:
Sheds some more light onto the whole fiasco.

It's a shame good people had to get sick off bad water due to stupidity and laziness.
Anyway it looks like the show is going according to Discovery channels plan for the most part.

It's all about the drama/ratings and they could care less about health or safety.
Just like "Axe Men" , "Ice Road Truckers" , "Deadliest Catch" , "Swamp Loggers" etc. they were just looking for another way to entertain voyeuristic desk jockeys who never get a taste of the wild and woolly and relish living vicariously through men who do more than just push a pencil or peck at a keyboard.

http://chilkatvalleynews.com/story.asp?Story=691&Made-for-TV-miners-make-debut-Friday

GG~

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What I can't believe is that you fellas are still talking about this show. And it is just that, all for show.
With all its lame stupidity and acted out drama, guess it has done what it was intended to do. #1 in ratings :icon_scratch:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gravel Hog said:
What I can't believe is that you fellas are still talking about this show. And it is just that, all for show.
With all its lame stupidity and acted out drama, guess it has done what it was intended to do. #1 in ratings :icon_scratch:

The show is worth it's weight in Gold as a What NOT to do instruction. :laughing7:
Let's face it, normal gold mining is not all that entertaining, so they have to milk it for everything they can.

The show was not meant to be a gold mining documentary in the first place, no more than Axe Men was meant to be the definitive work on logging. Sheesh it's only meant to be a show to take your mind off your own troubles for an hour a week.

I would rather watch a show with these guys trying to be gold miners than watch Ice Road Truckers or Deadliest Catch, at least it's got something to do with my favorite activity :tongue3:

GG~

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the REAL question is will they find enough gold to make it worth their while ???? Someone should add a poll to this forum and see how it goes.....

mcscs

Apr 12, 2010
fla
Comment from Jimmy Dorsey
Posted at: December 24, 2010 at 7:03 pm
It is quite incredible isn’t it? He is talking about me. A brother in Christ who helped him with his mining operation and tv show, offered him my family and all our talents/time. He has attempted to smear my professionalism and reputation and sent me packing with NO GOLD after we found 7 ounces. Agreed, 7 ounces didn’t pay for his food bill this summer but it would have been nice to get a vial of dust to wear around my neck or something. I entered the gold contest on Discovery Channel! Maybe I will get paid after all!

Comment from mrhappy
Posted at: December 24, 2010 at 10:33 pm
7 oz was all they got ? I THOUGHT it was 20 ( which is bad enough) but 7 ? Are you telling the truth ? Thanks

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
7 ounces!!!I do that with my 4 inch dredge part time!!!!!

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
Just while we are on the subject about this fiasco. Can you believe they set the gravel shaker on a mound of dirt, with no containment walls. Forget the dead weights, what do you think will happen to that little mound of dirt, when the shaker is activated and the water is running? :icon_scratch:

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GoodyGuy said:
CaptJohn said:
Well, I guess a somewhat sane TV flim crew is ALSO there with them, BUT I can't believe no one questioned their Drinking Water from a stream? Nor did they scout out up stream , Damn!

That really floored me because I even filter my tap water at home. The chemical DEET in the mosquito repellent also could have been causing the childs problems. I had an episode with it myself, that is some nasty stuff, of course I was using the strongest concentration available. :tongue3:

In the DEET Reregistration Eligibility Decision, the United States Environmental Protection Agency‎ (EPA) reported 14 to 46 cases of potential DEET-associated seizures, including 4 deaths. The EPA states: "... it does appear that some cases are likely related to DEET toxicity."

DEET was developed by the United States Army, following its experience of jungle warfare during World War II. It was originally tested as a pesticide on farm fields, and entered military use in 1946 and civilian use in 1957. It was used in Vietnam and Southeast Asia.

Recently, DEET has been found to inhibit the activity of a central nervous system enzyme, acetylcholinesterase, in both insects and mammals. This enzyme is involved in the hydrolysis of the neurotransmitter acetylcholine, thus playing a role in the function of the neurons which control muscles. Because of this property, many insecticides are used to block acetylcholinesterase, which leads to an excessive accumulation of acetylcholine at the synaptic cleft, causing neuromuscular paralysis and death by asphyxiation. :o

It's back to using Avon "Skin so Soft bug guard" for me, keeps the skeeters off and no harmful side effects. :icon_thumleft:

GG~

Did they actually prove it was the water GG? I would think giardia is possible and subsequent intestinal distress but DEET? I've known of grown men being hospitalized by DEET. They're pretty slow to admit they were causing the problem in the first place.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
calisdad said:
Did they actually prove it was the water GG? I would think giardia is possible and subsequent intestinal distress but DEET? I've known of grown men being hospitalized by DEET. They're pretty slow to admit they were causing the problem in the first place.

Giardia was mentioned by Jimmy Dorsey as being a problem for them in one of his blog posts. However I haven't heard as yet what caused Todds daughter her distress. Her symptoms seemed to be more consistent with DEET poisoning rather than Giardiasis.

*I just found this on Joy Dorsey's Blog:

"Just to clarify…there is a scene about DEET being very toxic in episode 5 and they show me slathering lotion all over my kids faces, there is narration over this scene but if you notice my mouth is moving because I am explaining to the camera that I am not putting DEET on my children but an herbal insect repellent. Jimmy and I brought a couple family products that had low amounts of DEET in them but after a couple weeks of being in Alaska we decided that we couldn’t use them on our children all summer just to avoid some bug bites. Mosquito bites are annoying but not deadly or toxic.

Also, on the water topic. When I flew into Haines I immediately got into a car and was driven to the mine. There I was told that the water was from a clean source and since I had no vehicle I was at the mercy of what everyone told me, even though I knew this wasn’t a good idea. After drinking and cooking with this water for about 3 weeks, pastor Mike was gracious enough to drive a truck up to porcupine that we bought from him. I hadn’t been feeling well since I arrived at porcupine, I was experiencing extreme nausea, vomiting, and terrible stomach cramps. As soon as we received our truck, I filled my own water containers with clean water from town and my family only drank the fresh clean water. TOO LATE. I went to the clinic in Haines and had some tests done to find out what was wrong with me. Was I pregnant? Did I have a bladder infection? About three weeks later I received a call from the clinic and was told I had Giardia, a parasite that lives in unfiltered water caused by beaver urine. By that time I was completely bed ridden and in extreme pain but after a round of antibiotics it seemed to clear up. The cameras never covered that story."

http://joydorsey.wordpress.com/

GG~

Southern Yankee

Greenie
Jul 10, 2010
I had the show set to record every episode. After reading Dorsey's blogs I am removing it from my DVR's schedule. I am an atheist, but I have religious tolerance, but Todd is a nutjob..... How is a non religious show "spreading the word"? Anyway I think Dorsey seems to be a good guy but Todd and his dad seem to be a little too caught up in the show biz aspect of it all. I started watching it hoping it would be more of a reality show than a "reality show". Everything is too dang dramatic, it's not that hard to understand how to run that mine productivly. They should have built camp and then immediatly began setting up the plant. It shouldn't have taken weeks to set up camp. Also if there is an expert (and that old man seems to be one) across the freakin' river offering you advice you should probably take it.

BTW, by running the mine productivly, i mean running dirt. Not saying I know where to find the gold... :dontknow:

FiresEye

Aug 17, 2010
GrayCloud said:
Can you believe they set the gravel shaker on a mound of dirt, with no containment walls. Forget the dead weights, what do you think will happen to that little mound of dirt, when the shaker is activated and the water is running? :icon_scratch:

:-\ ??? :tongue3: :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread