DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure about those particular detectors because I have never used them but I would do a field experiment. I would go to you favorite hunting area and once you hit on a known target, test the optimum speed that you believe you are still getting a solid signal. Then dig the target carefully to see how deep it was. I believe that you will find what is often said. Slower is better. You will most likely get a good signal at a very fast swing speed on shallow targets but I believe that you will find that on deeper targets, you detector will need a little more time to send, receive and process the information. I know that with the Sov. Elite, using the 15 inch WOT coil, I have to go slower to really pick up on the very deep targets. The first time I took it to a park, I didn't get a target to dig for about the first hour. I was disappointed because I knew that there had to be some deep targets there. I slowed down to a crawl and started digging coins and buttons and other items at 18 inches regularly. There is a optimum speed for every machine I believe but I think that there are so many variables on target size, density, orientation and depth that you will find that going slower is just what the doctor ordered.

Just my thoughts.

Good Luck,
DaChief

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask your wife, slow is always better. :wink: ;D

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
different machines will have different response times so the swing rate will vary. On some machines you can change the reponse time. there are a lot different things to consider. ground mineralization, trash etc. but slower is always better.

DOGMAN ( U.K )

Oct 26, 2009
Devon
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
vayank54 said:
different machines will have different response times so the swing rate will vary. On some machines you can change the reponse time. there are a lot different things to consider. ground mineralization, trash etc. but slower is always better.
Couldn't agree more. Low and slow and your finds pouch will grow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread