Do you believe in dreams?

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
This past summer a women comes up to me on the beach while detecting and asks, "Do you believe in dreams?" I said sure. She goes on to tell me how she dreamed she was by the water and in the water there was a tee shirt sticking out in the shallow. In the dream a voice told her there was gold buried underneath at that spot. A few weeks later while in Connecticut she sees some landmarks from her dream and the shore line. She walks to the shore and there in the shallows is a white tee shirt sticking out of the water just like in the dream. She told me she did not dig because she was frightened that perhaps some spirit was guiding her to that spot. So I say," Well lets go and dig it up."

A few days later I call her and take the ride to Connecticut First let me say this lady never stopped talking from the moment she got in the car. I heard her whole life story starting when she was a baby. Also my wife was a bit suspicious about the whole thing.

We eventually arrive, park and head to the shore line. She points to the general area so I hit it with the detector. The only thing I found was a piece of concrete giving a signal. It started to rain and we left and she took me to a few beaches nearby. Then i drove her home. She still kept talking.

That night Iā€™m thinking about the signals coming out of the concrete. Now Iā€™m thinking, if someone wanted to hide gold, putting it in concrete would be perfect. Who would ever think to look.

The following weekend I head back to the Conneticut shore. Its sunny and there are a number of people fishing. I walk the shore line to wear the chunk of concrete was laying. I picked it up and proceed to smash it on a boulder repeatedly to break it apart. ( Iā€™m sure my actions looked strange to those who were fishing.) Nothing but the usual iron inside.

My wife might have been right. She might have been a lonely lady who wanted to meet me and go out for a ride. Or perhaps its true and there is gold over there.

Do you believe in dreams? Would you have gone and looked after hearing such a story?

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we can learn something from our dreams, like how we really feel about certain things, but I don't believe they can predict the future for us or in this case, point out buried treasure. So no, I wouldn't have necessarily believed her but curiosity might make me take a peek.

But I do believe in intuition however, and the some times gentle nudging that we can get while awake to look here or there.

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do think that dreams can tell us things, and at times show us something to come. Those dreams have always been extremely vivid and memorable (and rare) for me. They don't always show you exact time/place/people but give you clues. As I have gotten older they have happened less and less. My last one was detecting related and showed me a medal I would find the next day. I DID find that medal. I still carry it today as a good luck item. I used to keep it inside the battery compartment of my detector.

OP
OP
Escape

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
hi SusanMN

I do believe in dreams. Its been around a long time and in almost all cultures. People dreaming of numbers and playing them in lotto and winning has happened to quite a few. Not me. I don't like to play games that i aways louse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Escape

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I do think that dreams can tell us things, and at times show us something to come. Those dreams have always been extremely vivid and memorable (and rare) for me. They don't always show you exact time/place/people but give you clues. As I have gotten older they have happened less and less. My last one was detecting related and showed me a medal I would find the next day. I DID find that medal. I still carry it today as a good luck item. I used to keep it inside the battery compartment of my detector.

The universe is cool. Awsome story.

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I loved your story and it sounds like you made someone happy. Besides, who wouldn't go on a treasure hunt like that. I know I would, plus you're detecting..It's a no brainer!

OP
OP
Escape

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I loved your story and it sounds like you made someone happy. Besides, who wouldn't go on a treasure hunt like that. I know I would, plus you're detecting..It's a no brainer!

Im glad you liked the story. After I broke the concrete to find iron, my daughter told me i should consider recalibrating my detector.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps the treasure you came across was not of the metal kind. Who knows what a good deed becomes in time.

In treasure hunting, if you don't look, you're not going to find it.

I have had a few dreams that have lead to treasure (very few), but they usually are very vivid & persistent.

Maybe the timing was off on this lady's dream, or as your wife says she may have been lonely.
This is one of those mysteries in life.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My dreams always feature women and no detector is required. I believe more in the universal law of attraction.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Escape,

Perhaps the woman just needed to talk and meet a new friend. I hope something comes of her dreams, you never know.

Doc

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I seldom dream. But through my life I found that when I did dream, there was something important I would have to deal with.

From 40 years ago, I still remember a dream in which a lady I did not know told me someone hated me. the dream shook me out of a sound sleep. It turned out very shortly that I really did have a problem, and it WAS life changing. It came on pretty quickly after the dream. AND, my life changed.

Explanations? I don't know....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Escape, that's a crazy story. Sounds like you ran into a new-agey person :)

As for your followup question: The only reason it sometimes SEEMS like our "dreams come true", is the trick of selective memory bias.

For example: If you've ever dreamed your favorite song. Then your radio alarm clocks wakes you up TO THAT EXACT SAME SONG ! So you think "aha! My dream came true ! I'm psychic !" But that's just the trick of selective memory. Because truth is, we all dream 100's of dreams every night. None of which ever come true. So we promptly forget them all 10 seconds after waking up. But if one coincidentally comes true, only THEN do we remember our premonitions and think "Aha! I'm psychic".

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other

As for your followup question: The only reason it sometimes SEEMS like our "dreams come true", is the trick of selective memory bias.

For example: If you've ever dreamed your favorite song. Then your radio alarm clocks wakes you up TO THAT EXACT SAME SONG ! So you think "aha! My dream came true ! I'm psychic !" But that's just the trick of selective memory. Because truth is, we all dream 100's of dreams every night. None of which ever come true. So we promptly forget them all 10 seconds after waking up. But if one coincidentally comes true, only THEN do we remember our premonitions and think "Aha! I'm psychic".
Sorry Tom - gotta disagree with you there!

It wasn't in a "dream", per se, as I was awake and alert, but when I was in 6th grade, I knew about this one very special woman who I was going to meet one day. I never believed in that kinda stuff, yet I just couldn't shake that feeling. I knew what she looked like (in GREAT detail!!), her weight, height, build, muscle tone, color of hair and eyes, even how her hair was styled. I knew she was light-skinned, yet not "white". Well, I met her some 18 years later, just as promised. Not only that, but there were DOZENS of things that happened along the way in order for this to happen. Strange things - things that seemed to have no meaning.

Again, this was not a dream. But then, what WAS it??

Now, this woman had been in a horrible situation. Two different times she had been beaten until nearly dead. One of those times, I remember being in the USAF and, while at work and on duty, I had this hugely overwhelming sensation of a man chasing a woman. The things he was doing to her were just horrible!! It shook me up so much that I called my pen friend and asked if she was in a relationship or had recently met someone. I knew it wasn't her, but couldn't think of who else it "might" be. She heard the concern in my voice and assured me that she was in no danger, and she promised to keep her guard up.

Fast forward another decade and I meet this woman. She tells me of this one experience - this horrible nightmare that she survived. It matched what I "saw". It also happened at the exact time/date that I called my pen friend.

There's more on this - MUCH more - but to say anything more would be breaking her trust.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
KCM, your reaction is what usually follows to the explanation of "selective memory" . A person will (like you just did), come back with an example of an uncanny "dream come true". That .... to them .... was outside this possibility. Because it is SO vivid, SO uncanny, etc....

But don't you see the trick at play ? I would say you also , during your life, have had oodles of other subconscious "vivid" and "overwhelming sensations" and premonitions and so forth. But when they never came true, you forget them. However, when one DOES come true, you remember only that single premonition. By mere definition, since you "forgot" all the others, and ONLY remembered the single random one that came true, it will be very easy to dismiss "Selective memory". Because you can't think of any premonitions that DIDN'T come true. But that's the whole point! Since all those that you forgot were "subconscious", then by mere definition, they were subconscious. Ie.: OF COURSE you don't remember those.

So it's very hard for a person to self-evaluate whether or not he/she is subject to this phenomenon, d/t the very definition of "subconscious".

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
PS: Trust me, I've been subject to the same phenomenon: One time I had a VERY VIVID dream while napping one day, that my hunting partner had found a rare gold coin. The phone rang and it was him waking me up. HE HAD JUST FOUND A GOLD COIN !

So when you read my explanation/stance on this, don't think for a second that it's because it's simply never happened to me. I had the WILLIES for days after that (expecting to see a spook at any moment, embarrassed to tell my friend I'd dreamed he would call, for fear of him writing me off as a new age nut, etc....). So I have equal reasons to believe, if I were to subject myself to feeling, subjective experience, etc.... But when I read of the counter explanation, I had to be honest with myself about it.

Try this experiment: Each time you wake up for the next several weeks, in the first 5 or 10 seconds upon waking, try to think "was I dreaming?" And I bet you can think of several dreams you'd had. But if you DON'T askyourself that question, and only asked yourself that at lunchtime, I bet you'd remember zero of them. This just shows that we dream 100's of dreams per night, none of which come true. And we only remember those that come true.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Wrong again Tom. These things stood out in my life. I tried to shake them, but couldn't. Was raised in a conservative church, but everything...and I mean E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G surrounding this person ....let's just say I was always puzzled by it all until things finally fell into place many years later. You can believe what you want, but this was much larger than just one or two people. This explains perfectly many things that just never made any sense. If would literally take a few days for me to go over it all. I have no proof of any of it, but then that's just how it goes. Oh, started to say something about church...I was raised in a conservative home. These things (there were 2 such 'beliefs') stuck with me throughout my life in a way that I can't explain. It was stronger than my faith in God, stronger than reality, etc. It never made sense. It bothered me to the point that I couldn't even try to think about it as I didn't begin to understand any of it. And who could I ask? So, I kept it all to myself and tried in earnest to forget it. But life sometimes has different plans in mind.

See, this is not just a physical world. It's also a spiritual world. Many people believe they have Guardian Angles. I believe it's simply their own spirit - a link between their body and their soul. Anyway, going back to these 2 core beliefs, I knew that they were going to happen some day. I thought one had to do with this woman, and the other had to do with a place - a spot on a map. Some other entity made it known to me than that the two were the same. So, two core beliefs that I had pretty much my entire life and couldn't seem to shake, and then some truly bizarre and amazing events show me that they are, in fact, the same. Again, you can (and will, I'm sure) think what you want.But there is much I'm leaving out of all this - actually, MOST of it! It's very real and impossible to deny. Believe me, I've tried!!

Have you ever been out hiking or driving and gotten lost? Ever had this mysterious "feeling" urge you to go in one direction when you didn't want to go that way, yet no matter how you tried, you simply couldn't fight that feeling? This is what I speak of. It's not destiny. ...However, I'm still unclear what it "is". ...Another time, after hurricane Alicia, I was very tired as I was in volunteer fire dept and it had been very busy. I went home and slept for a couple of hours, then somehow had to get up (I had been awake for nearly 2 1/2 days straight!!), grab the chainsaw and go out and help people after the storm. I didn't stop at just any house, either. There were certain homes that I couldn't pass up no matter how I tried - and I WANTED to go back to bed!! But in the end, every single stop was a life-changing experience for me. It's a 2-way street though. When things like this happen, it does seem that both parties are getting something out of it. Ah, too much to write in such a limited medium as a forum!

In any case, some people believe and some don't. I wouldn't normally have believed, but didn't seem to have a choice in the matter. And just because someone doesn't believe doesn't make them immune to being caught up in it. It's all still life around us - just more than simply physical.

And again, these weren't "dreams". I was fully awake and alert when they happened. (replying to your post while I was writing the above)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
KCM (very briefly, so as not to hog forum space, ramble, etc...). You are now weaving things like supernatural into this. Ie.: you mention "church", ... "spiritual world", "angels", etc... into it. As if to say that my stance is dis-believing in anything but the "here and now". Like that I dismiss anything supernatural (God, the supernatural, miracles, etc....). But that's not the case. I'm a conservative Christian, very much believing that the here & now is "not all that is".

But back to the subject: Ok then, these premonitions were while you were awake. Is it possible that my stance can happen during day-dreams as well ? (versus just "night" dreams).

And remember: You will by definition forget all the day-dreams that don't come true. It's "subconscious", so by definition, you won't remember forgetting them. Doh! Hence no way for us to self-evaluate whether or not this phenomenon is all that's really at play.

OP
OP
Escape

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009

Hi Tom in CA:

Nothing new-agey about this lady. She was middle aged and leaning more towards working poor then prosperous.
This idea about dreams being able to convey information about events is old and common to many people around the globe. Its not something you can prove to others who have never had a like experience. Like their are a lot of people who swear they have seen UFO's or ghost or apparitions. If you haven't nothing can convince a person who is in doubt of the possibility of such occurrences. This is something that is only excepted through personal experience. Even still it will be disputed by those who don't believe. The UFO' was a weather ballon. The apparition was a case of indigestion.
Honestly I don't know if she dreamed this or not. Again, a question of proof. But how many things can we actually prove. Look at quantum physics and all of their theories and conclusions.

In regard to the alarm going off in the morning playing the song you were thinking about, that the new-agers have a name for. They call it syncronicity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread