Fisher F75 Ltd.
Fisher CZ21
Fisher CZ6a
Makro CF77
Minelab Musketeer XS
Whites DFX
Whites MX5
Whites IDX Pro (Mr. Bill mod.)
White's 5900/di Pro Plus (Keith Southern mod)
White's 6000/di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deft tones and KCM, this is simply "sleep apnea" : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_apnea

A physical condition. Nothing mystical, etc.. And yes: persons who have this (whether isolated incidents, or very afflicted) will report the same thing: Dreams of someone smothering them, etc.... I had a girlfriend who had this, and would have horrible dreams of demon's strangling her, etc... And was convinced she was demon oppressed, and all such supernatural explanations. But later realized it was sleep apnea.

But that would be an example of JUST HOW REAL the dreams are. If anyone had tried to tell her (before the diagnosis) that it WASN'T something supernatural , she would have adamantly denied it. Afterall, it's so "uncanny" and the experience "feels so real", etc.. And her theological background was of a pentecostal leaning persuasion. SO YOU CAN IMAGINE when these dreams started, she emotionally connected it with all sorts of mystical, supernatural, etc... Yet as you can see, it has a strictly physical explanation.

There is no way that this can explain a dream foretelling, accurately, future events. Like i said, until i experienced this myself
i was very skeptical. After a hand-full of these dreams i have had i at least have to admit there is something beyond simplistic
explanation going on. Just what the explanation is, well, thats another topic.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I wish I could remember where I read this before - some science or medical publication of some sort - but it was saying that most everyone stops breathing for just a few seconds while asleep. It doesn't have to happen every night, and most people don't even realize that they do it. So is Sleep Apnea what "everyone" does naturally? Or is it limited to the people who have problems and wake up gasping for air?

I have not heard that "everyone has a degree of sleep apnea". Perhaps that's a true medical statement. I dunno. I just know that it comes in varying degrees. I know a guy who had it REAL bad, such that he never entered into rem 3 sleep . He was exhausted every day, all day, nodding off at work, needing pots of coffee just to continue through each day, moody, etc...

When he eventually went to a doctor to get checked out, it all came into focus what he'd been dealing with. He is now fitted with a sleeping device that makes him resemble darth vader, haha. Contrast to another fellow I know that has slight symptons, (some of the tell-tale signs), yet doesn't consider it frequent enough or serious enough to go to a doctor.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
There is no way that this can explain a dream foretelling, accurately, future events.....

Pinpointer, re-read where what brought about that post # 38. I wasn't saying it explained whether or not dreams come true. Was only saying that it explained the "suffocating" dreams. The factor of seemingly prophetic dreams I addressed in my posts, all throughout this thread, of the psychology of selective memory bias.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree. It may be getting a little off-topic, but not totally off. Just a quick side trip. :icon_biggrin:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
And then there is the whole subject of lucid dreaming. Awareness while dreaming. I've experienced it a few times....and they were good times!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Have heard that term before, but don't know (understand) enough about it to know if I'm....what's the word, if I've experienced it.

OP
OP
Escape

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Phycology of selective memory basis. Just cause they have a term for something doesn't mean its right. Anyone for a lobotomy or electric shock treatment. They don't always have it right. There are things that can't be explained.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I wish I could remember where I read this before - some science or medical publication of some sort - but it was saying that most everyone stops breathing for just a few seconds while asleep. It doesn't have to happen every night, and most people don't even realize that they do it. So is Sleep Apnea what "everyone" does naturally? Or is it limited to the people who have problems and wake up gasping for air?

There are several sleep dysfunctions apnea among them. Apnea can occur when the tissue blocks the throat. This is common with people that snore. There is also another where the brain doesn't tell the body to breath,This is what I'm blessed with. I stop breathing 90-100 times /hour from my chart.
Along with this there is sleep paralysis where a person can't move and is half asleep and half awake. Also there is catoplexy where a person feels like they are going to fall in a heap on the floor. Gee, I'm lucky, I get them all!
I've been in sleep clinics and got 5 stars.

Dreams though are something that unless we understand the psychic connection we have with each other it will just get lost on unless opinion. Until we encourage our people to address the unknown we will continue to be a people that wanders w/o answers.
Spiritually westerners are a wasteland. The East is rich in spiritual substance but poor in earthly substance. The West is rich in earthly substance but destitute in spirit.
Just saying.

Last edited:

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
And then there is the whole subject of lucid dreaming. Awareness while dreaming. I've experienced it a few times....and they were good times!

Lucid dreaming is probably the closest a dreamer can connect to what dreams mean. Here, where I live, dreaming especially with Am Indians is very important. So much so many sleep with a dream catcher (Think like a web) to be sure none of this precious resource is lost.

Here is something that you might want to do. Next time you have a lucid dream ...look at your hands in the dream. Big surprise.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Lucid dreaming is probably the closest a dreamer can connect to what dreams mean. Here, where I live, dreaming especially with Am Indians is very important. So much so many sleep with a dream catcher (Think like a web) to be sure none of this precious resource is lost.

Here is something that you might want to do. Next time you have a lucid dream ...look at your hands in the dream. Big surprise.

Now I'm interested. I love a big surprise. :icon_thumright:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Do you believe in dreams?"

Sure, I have them all the time.

Do I believe they are predictive? Only to the extent that in sleep your brain is processing the input of the past and possibly making connections of experiences that are not aware to your conscious mind. Like "gut feelings" are pieces of input your brain puts together just below a conscious decision or an observation with your full attention.

Like "the feeling you are being watched" could be your brain processing images from the periphery of your vision you did not notice. Our ancestors survived because that feeling alerted them to the tiger's eyes or tail in the high grass.

Dreams may be your brain sifting through real events and adding some extrapolation to them. When things fall into place as you imagined in sleep perhaps that is remembered as a "premonition". How many dreams have you had that were just dreams? Probably 99.9%.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
There are several sleep dysfunctions apnea among them. Apnea can occur when the tissue blocks the throat. This is common with people that snore. There is also another where the brain doesn't tell the body to breath,This is what I'm blessed with. I stop breathing 90-100 times /hour from my chart.
Along with this there is sleep paralysis where a person can't move and is half asleep and half awake. Also there is catoplexy where a person feels like they are going to fall in a heap on the floor. Gee, I'm lucky, I get them all!
I've been in sleep clinics and got 5 stars.

Dreams though are something that unless we understand the psychic connection we have with each other it will just get lost on unless opinion. Until we encourage our people to address the unknown we will continue to be a people that wanders w/o answers.
Spiritually westerners are a wasteland. The East is rich in spiritual substance but poor in earthly substance. The West is rich in earthly substance but destitute in spirit.
Just saying.

Sounds like me back in the USAF, when I was averaging 2.5 hours sleep per 24 hours. :laughing7: ...Actually, I never needed much sleep when younger. Gettin' old now, so often make it a full 6 hours at night! :tongue3:

I absolutely agree with you about the difference between east and west. That was one reason I had nobody to talk to and ask about the things that I couldn't figure out. Lots of strange happenings in this world of ours!!

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Along with this there is sleep paralysis where a person can't move and is half asleep and half awake."

I've experienced this phenomenon and used to panic whenever it occurred. In order to put some sanity into the confusion I felt after startling myself to a conscious state of mind, I delved into some reading research. I've discovered that this state is the threshold to OBA (Outside Body Activity). If embraced, it can be quite an experience. Next time any of you are aware of being in this condition, stay calm and direct your thoughts to traveling.......go look in your refrigerator, check out the garage, look out a window in a different room. You might be surprised.....................

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True story... I had a dream of watching a rocket blowing up on the night of Jan. 27 1986. When I got to work, I turned the radio on to listen to some tunes, but there was no music playing as they were reporting of the Challenger disaster that morning. That's when I first herd of the disaster and I have never forgotten that dream.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
"Along with this there is sleep paralysis where a person can't move and is half asleep and half awake."

I've experienced this phenomenon and used to panic whenever it occurred. In order to put some sanity into the confusion I felt after startling myself to a conscious state of mind, I delved into some reading research. I've discovered that this state is the threshold to OBA (Outside Body Activity). If embraced, it can be quite an experience. Next time any of you are aware of being in this condition, stay calm and direct your thoughts to traveling.......go look in your refrigerator, check out the garage, look out a window in a different room. You might be surprised.....................

This is a common practice in some cultures. While not a part of my culture or upbringing, I somehow always knew that it "was" possible, although I never achieved it for myself.

OP
OP
Escape

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
I have at different periods recorded my dreams in the morning, complete with drawings of scenes. Sometimes I find myself in old familiar places that I only visit in dreams. Meeting people who I haven't seen in years, but only know them in dreams. A couple of times i would pick up old photographs and as I looked at them they would rewind like a movie for a minuet and start playing forward. Always found that to be interesting. Now I only record a few dreams a year when they stand out. You

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
..... Dreams may be your brain sifting through real events and adding some extrapolation to them. When things fall into place as you imagined in sleep perhaps that is remembered as a "premonition"....

Bingo. That is defined as subconscious selective memory bias.

..... How many dreams have you had that were just dreams? Probably 99.9%.

Correct. And at that point it becomes a) random, and b) coincidental. But since you only remember the ones that came true, then a) it doesn't appear to be random, and b) it appears purposeful.

OP
OP
Escape

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Sure. And there are also things that CAN be explained.

But history will often show many explanations that were considered reasonable and true at the time to be false. You can come up with many examples yourself I'm sure with out having to go back very far.

OP
OP
Escape

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
For 20 years I have been able to predict lotto winning and I have never been wrong once. You buy a lotto ticket and I can tell you if you will win or not. Never been wrong yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread