Do you conceal carry while detecting?

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger
I was wondering if you guys and gals conceal carry (with a permit of course) while you are detecting? I am planning on hunting some wooded areas where bears are common, and I was thinking of carrying while going there for my safety. There are a plethora of other reasons to carry but I just wanted to see what the general consensus was and why? Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

EODsweeper

Jan 7, 2013
Never carry a gun....no need to....I do not like guns, and love people too much to even threaten some one else's life.

Some people may think that's dumb, but that's the way I want it.

Too bad there are those out there that would take your life over your shoes or watch without thinking twice. We don't carry so we can run around and threaten people. We carry so we are prepared to protect ourself and protect those around us not smart enough to carry. I would even venture to say you have little to no experience with firearms and that's why you don't like them.

EODsweeper

Jan 7, 2013
Maybe if y'all had a clue what it was like to be in a place where not having a working firearm means you die you would understand a little better. The people I've killed had full intentions of killing me, I sleep fine at night knowing who was the better shot. :)

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe if y'all had a clue what it was like to be in a place where not having a working firearm means you die you would understand a little better. The people I've killed had full intentions of killing me, I sleep fine at night knowing who was the better shot. :)
You are right, most of us can't imagine living in a world like yours.

nose picker

Mar 9, 2013
I thank god I don't live in a place where you need a gun to survive......I have been in some tight situations around the world, and here in the US, and found my way out. For the most part, people do not want to fight, or kill, even the ones threatening you with the weapon - some day my theory could be wrong, but even then I couldn't kill anyone in defense for my car, detector, a couple bucks, or any other material objects. I could see myself carrying some sort of protection if I were say in Alaska with a bunch of Grizzly Bears, even then, I would shoot first in the air to scare them away first.

EODsweeper

Jan 7, 2013
Well times are changing and our country is in major debt. 9/11 was just the beginning. I'd rather be ready.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing that hasn't been covered here is sufficient gun.

I carry a 44 mag in the woods; 220 gr Kieth linotype @1700 fps. I consider that sufficient for hog and cougar. Iffy or maybe less for bear. I've killed a lot of deer with a 44, and it just isn't a 308 even. I've hunted deer most of my life with a .338 WM, and haven't lost a one; easily more than enough for grizzly.

So, I know that this is going to ruffle some feathers, but I don't consider anything less than 44 mag (or possibly 41 mag) sufficient for black bear. I've shot a lot of 380, 9mm, 357 mag pistol and in my opinion they just don't have what it takes to safely put one down. In grizzly country (I don't live there), a decent rifle (300 WM or bigger) and of course proper bullets are the minimum.

I've jumped black bear, and they've gone the other way. Most of the time they do. But.

If you are in bear country (and what isn't black bear country these days), get a hogleg. It's your butt. You can't just hit control-Z to reset the game.

Better too much gun than too little.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It's not dumb. I couldn't live with myself, even if I had to shoot another in self defense. I might be the one still alive, but in reality dead inside, forever.
So...you would rather be dead and let a criminal live? :icon_scratch::dontknow: WHY?

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (Combat Marine retired)
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am a concealed Carry Instructor here in louisville Ky, and I always have a pistol.. I never leave home without it, there have been a few times I forgot it and felt like I forgot my underwear so I had to go back..

JSpinner

Feb 16, 2013
Northwest - Idaho
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really appreciate Idaho's "open carry." Since, you never know who's packin' and who isn't, people tend to be more friendly and respectful. Even with so many 'packin' we don't have a lot of people popping each other, either. It's like a mutual understanding of respect. If someone with ill intentions decided to use a shopping mall or school as a target range here, they'd be stopped 'dead' in their tracks within seconds.
I prefer the 'fear factor' placed on the thugs, not the law abiding citizens.

Coureur de Bios

Feb 5, 2013
NW Lower Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Roger that, Petrie502... Am an NRA certified pistol instructor here in NW Michigan and just feel nekkid without a little extra weight in my pocket or on my hip.

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Raven model 25 and other hacking tools
1part piss / 3 parts vinegar
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry ALL the time. Detecting is no different.

Carry your weapon in a RETENTION holster!! Loosing your pin pointer sucks....dropping a pistol is worse!!!!!!!

mudd

Mar 16, 2013
Kansas city,KS
Detector(s) used
a 50$ Silver seeker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do when ever I go out, you never know every tweeker in town has one so, I like to level the plaing field with my Judge.410

homestead-hunter

Jan 18, 2013
Roswell, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
BH Elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in a open carry state where anyone can carry a firearm as long as its visible. If you get caught alone with one of those wild hogs you'll be wishing you had it.

Just came across some big hog track today. IMG_20130317_130729.jpg

homestead-hunter

Jan 18, 2013
Roswell, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
BH Elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry concealed at all times, sometimes I open carry AND carry concealed. I WOULD RATHER HAVE ONE AND NOT NEED IT, THEN NEED IT AND NOT HAVE ONE.

homestead-hunter

Jan 18, 2013
Roswell, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
BH Elite 2200
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thank god I don't live in a place where you need a gun to survive......I have been in some tight situations around the world, and here in the US, and found my way out. For the most part, people do not want to fight, or kill, even the ones threatening you with the weapon - some day my theory could be wrong, but even then I couldn't kill anyone in defense for my car, detector, a couple bucks, or any other material objects. I could see myself carrying some sort of protection if I were say in Alaska with a bunch of Grizzly Bears, even then, I would shoot first in the air to scare them away first.

WOW! Where do you live? Never EVER heard of a violence free place!!

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Raven model 25 and other hacking tools
1part piss / 3 parts vinegar
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mr. FistFullaDirt...thank you for your service! Your duty ='s my standard of living. God Bless you and your family.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always carry no matter where I am, Smith and Wesson .40 with a laser max green laser. I even stop and scan my surroundings occasionally, I usually wear headphones, and don't want to be surprised by someone getting up on me.

nose picker

Mar 9, 2013
I respect your rights to carry a gun, my personal philosophy that something would more likely happen to me if I had a gun, than if I didn't....maybe it's that I am more likely to avoid situations if I am unarmed, than I would if I was armed.

Plus I am not fond of guns, even though I grew up in a small rural town in Colorado with guns all around.

I am also not worried about the government falling, or prepping for the end of the world. The way I see it, if it's the end of the world, sign me up to be the first to go!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread