thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
Obama wanting to ban recreational fishing is an overstatement but, his administration wanting to set new policies governing fishing is not. There IS a task force that IS going to make recommendations to THIS administration concerning FISHING. These new policies, depending on which of the task forces recommendations are adopted, COULD very well affect RECREATIONAL fishing. Even in the liberal article posted above is this statement: "Will the task force eventually recommend a lot of things that conservatives hate? Probably. Should they have kept the public comment period open longer to allow sportsman to have their say? Maybe" What does THAT statement say to you? How liberal do you want to think. What if it was a task force that was going to recommend how Blacks should be treated in this country? Then you read an article that says, "Is the task force going to recommend a lot of things that Blacks hate? Probably. Should they have kept the public comment period open longer to allow Blacks to have their say? Maybe" Uhhhhhhhh!!? :dontknow: I also have to question what the task force is trying to protect. In one part of that article it talks about protecting the "food supply". A little later they want to protect the dolphin. I don't eat dolphins.

This man speaks the truth!

B

BigDan

So now most of it is a rumor. And a "commission" that is "likely" to recommend changes that "may" effect recreational fishing still has yet to sit down with the President. And when they do, we "assume" that the President, who "hates fishing" will jump all over the recommendations like a vulture to a carcass.

And we can all "expect" hunting to be next.

Meanwhile, we complain about the cost of fishing licenses, but that is up to the state, not the federal government.

My recommendation, don't throw away your fishing tackle just yet.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
Our freedom to enjoy what we do is being legislated out of existence. If you don't believe it just try to do something that you were able to do a couple of years ago and watch the police and rangers come out of the wood work asking if you have x number of permits just for thinking of doing it or even permits to just be there. I was told in one park (county) that I needed a day permit just to sit at the picnic table to eat my sandwich with my grandchildren. My grandchildren were surprised that we were asked to leave because they asked for a day use fee to use the park that I protested the need to charge for day use. (It wasn't the amount of money but the idea that taxes paid for the park in the first place) Double dipping.

Fishermen, prospectors, metal detecting, hunting, property rights or what ever you think you have a right to is being challenged at this very moment.

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, this is true. I am continually shocked on a daily basis the "change" that is taking place.

And I wonder just when the time will come when we can no longer say "The land of the free."
Seamuss said:
Our freedom to enjoy what we do is being legislated out of existence. If you don't believe it just try to do something that you were able to do a couple of years ago and watch the police and rangers come out of the wood work asking is you have x number of permits just for thinking of doing it or even permits to just be there. I was told in one park (county) that I needed a day permit just to sit at the picnic table to eat my sandwich with my grandchildren. My grandchildren were surprised that we were asked to leave because they asked for a day use fee to use the park that I protested the need to charge for day use. (It wasn't the amount of money but the idea that taxes paid for the park in the first place) Double dipping.

Fishermen, prospectors, metal detecting, hunting, property rights or what ever you think you have a right to is being challenged at this very moment.

B

BigDan

I agree with seamuss...

...too the extent that many of our past rights are gone, and more will be gone if we do not pay attention. The Patriot Act did more to take away our rights than many realize.

On the other hand, gun laws have relaxed in some states.

One problem I see, as the seesaw politicians get in office they all have ideas of what we can't or shouldn't do...and it is easier to make a law than remove it. Try this....think about all the things you think should be against the law, then think about the other "side", and they think they are just as right as you, what happens if it never ends? This is why I nearly always prefer NO new laws.

On this particular topic, fishing, I just feel we may be reacting to some loonies who haven't a chance of getting their ideas passed. At least I hope not.

That park day use fee? I recall years ago a neighboring counties park started charging fees for non-county residents to enter. Fortunately it turned into a short lived endeavor. But, seamuss is right about the double-dipping. Man, when you think about how much we pay in taxes and fees....

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
I must be a redneck. I'm too drunk to fish. :laughing7:

On a more sober note.

thrillathahunt said:
Yes, this is true. I am continually shocked on a daily basis the "change" that is taking place.

And I wonder just when the time will come when we can no longer say "The land of the free."
Seamuss said:
Our freedom to enjoy what we do is being legislated out of existence. If you don't believe it just try to do something that you were able to do a couple of years ago and watch the police and rangers come out of the wood work asking is you have x number of permits just for thinking of doing it or even permits to just be there. I was told in one park (county) that I needed a day permit just to sit at the picnic table to eat my sandwich with my grandchildren. My grandchildren were surprised that we were asked to leave because they asked for a day use fee to use the park that I protested the need to charge for day use. (It wasn't the amount of money but the idea that taxes paid for the park in the first place) Double dipping.

That will be the time for another "the shot that was heard around the world".

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silversearcher, in regards to your question about fishing licenses, the answer is yeah, most generally. I never fished for sport but mainly just to eat, so I considered that license part a technicality a long time ago. In Oklahoma, they told us our license fees went to support wildlife, so I'm ok with that. Unless they have changed the law there, you do not need a license to fish in a natural body of water using natural bait in the county you are a legal resident of. So a few years ago I could dig some worms and go down to the creek and fish all I wanted and never worry about the game warden. In Colorado I pay 31 bucks for a license for a year. This is $25 for the resident license, $5 for the Habitat Stamp, $.75 for Wildlife Education Fund, and $.25 for 'Search and Rescue'. That seems like a lot, but not really. They pretty much make their money off of non-residents who come up here to hunt and fish. Must be an 'experience of a lifetime' to fish or hunt in Colorado, I guess.

THingfool

Feb 7, 2009
NE Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark,1280-x,Cortes, White's 6DB
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Matt,
If Ohio is still like it was when I was growing up(and Indiana still is), no, you don't need a license to fish private ponds. BUT, if you take your caught fish on a public road they can fine you for possesion without a license so be careful. HH and good fishing,

Ed

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
I love to fish and I've fished since I was little kid and I'm 43 now. Over half the areas I used to be able to fish from are now closed to fishing and that was long before Obama came into office. It's been slowly coming to a point where you're going to have to have access to a boat just to fish. Don't get me wrong, there's still plenty of places left, but they're getting more crowded due to the above reason. While I hate my fishing areas and rights being cut, I've also seen first hand the rwasons why they might do it. I can't count how many times I've seen people keep fish so small that after removing the hook they should've replaced the pacifier and set it free and they'd have a cooler full. Back in the day, black drum would run thick thru here and it was nothing to hit the bridge and catch several 20-30 pounders, even some 40 lbers. It was also a guarantee that during that time you can watch people catch 3, 4 or 5 even. When it came time to leave they didnt want to carry them out cause they're heavy and they themselves are tired and usually drunk. It was nothing to walk the boardwalk and count no less than 10 or more big drum left to rot each night. I wish I was exagerating but I'm not. I'm sorry I got long winded, thanks for letting me rant.

OP
OP
thrillathahunt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree on that. There are always idiots around who ruin things for others.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thrillathahunt said:
I have to agree on that. There are always idiots around who ruin things for others.

I agree 100%. In my home state WV. Access to some good fishin spots get fenced, posted and such cause people try and start a dump, leave garbage behind. No respect fer nuthin. I'd like to pick it all up and go throw it in their yard. see how they like it then. :violent1:

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
In California the law dictates that we must wear our 50 dollar fish licence plainly visible on the front of the body above waist level like a dog licence for fishermenpersons. Due to employee cutbacks they want the rangers to be able to pull up scan with binoculars and see if it;s worth getting out of the air conditioned top of the line custom truck. I was fishing with an older guy on his boat once, he forgetfully left his licence in camp, $680 dollar fine for not being in posseion of a licence clearly displayed. I have personally witnessed Rangers walking around the bank of the stocked city parks lakes checking licences and skip right passed groups perceived as illegals with buckets of illegal size fish to hassle "citizens". I love Cali but the double standards are blatant and across many classes and groups..

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey urban, just so you know, we no longer have to display our license in CA anymore. I think it took effect 3/10/2010 or something like that. Still need it on your person though unless diving.

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
You Sir are correct. Thanks for the heads up. Checked DFG website and as of 3-1-10 no more displaying the licence. They don't get it right often but this one I like.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tony66 said:
Wow, poorhunter, you're dead right on that, I completely forgot about the trash that gets left behind, good point

I can open any of my tackleboxes and usually find someones trash in them, Including my own!!!!! I find alot of hooks, sinkers, lures and such and reuse alot of it.... :thumbsup:

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
Yep, I've gotten tackle that way before myself. I've rescued a few good top waters tangled in the mangroves while retrieving my own lousy cast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread