Do You Prefer To Hunt Alone Or With Someone.....Why?

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Every one is different with how and why they hunt. Some love the comradery of hunting with others while some enjoy the solitude of hunting alone. I personally prefer to hunt alone. It's my way of de-stressing from my work at a hospital, although occasionally I enjoy a hunt with a buddy. I never hunt the seedy parts of town alone for obvious reasons, yet a hunt in the woods with my camera in my pocket can be a most enjoyable day. [h=3][/h]

x512x

Nov 30, 2012
Not sure why but I prefer to hunt with a buddy its just more fun to me

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
my dad, uncle, or wife.

else alone...

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt with other folks if the particular location is an obvious and easy to find place like a ball field or a school, just for the camaraderie to which the finds come in second. But if I spend a lot of time researching a new location (which I only do rarely) and it could be virgin ground...then I ain't sayin' nothin' to noooooobody! Them goodies is mine, I tell you, mine!

vandaria

May 11, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-trac,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunt with other folks if the particular location is an obvious and easy to find place like a ball field or a school, just for the camaraderie to which the finds come in second. But if I spend a lot of time researching a new location (which I only do rarely) and it could be virgin ground...then I ain't sayin' nothin' to noooooobody! Them goodies is mine, I tell you, mine!

LOLOL I just had this discussion with the hubby. It is nice to have someone with you, but then there are times when it is more like all the shinies are mine!!!!!!!!
If I were at the park, sure come with me. Or the old fairgrounds too just cuz I know other ppl have been there before many times before. But then I have my one field that used to be a CCC camp and I was given permission to do it and am most likely the first. That one I feel like hording hehe. I brought my dad out there and he found a little faceplate off a pool table....and I was jealous....and it felt weird to be jealous over that..my precious! :tongue3:
But then there is a farmhouse that is decently old and I have permission to be there. I can go alone, sure, but it is a 15 min drive out to no where. And no one lives in the house anymore.....and I get that stupid "is someone watching me from the upper windows feeling". So tho I know it has never been searched before, I still get creeped out there and wouldn't mind another to tag along giving up shinies and everything for the reassurance. If anything happened at all I would be in trouble. No cell service right in the area..........

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If anything happened at all I would be in trouble. No cell service right in the area..........

Enjoyed your story...you should get a CB radio, the range is limited compared to cells but way better than no service at all. They make small ones that plug into the cig lighter, cheaper than a cell phone too, lots of folks will relay a message for you by phone, and most Police and Sheriff dept's monitor them 24/7, at least where I live....good luck at farm house!

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
I'd rather hunt with someone just to have someone else around to talk to and watch each others back but hunt alone because haven't found anyone to buddy up with yet

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
Absolutely alone. I'm in a zone and anyone else around deters from that experience . Nobody I've ever gone with can stay focused on it long enough. And just talking while hunting annoys me.. Lol.. And I HATE being watched, so it really limits my places to detect. If I feel like I'm being watched, I'd rather not hunt.

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
LOLOL I just had this discussion with the hubby. It is nice to have someone with you, but then there are times when it is more like all the shinies are mine!!!!!!!! If I were at the park, sure come with me. Or the old fairgrounds too just cuz I know other ppl have been there before many times before. But then I have my one field that used to be a CCC camp and I was given permission to do it and am most likely the first. That one I feel like hording hehe. I brought my dad out there and he found a little faceplate off a pool table....and I was jealous....and it felt weird to be jealous over that..my precious! :tongue3: But then there is a farmhouse that is decently old and I have permission to be there. I can go alone, sure, but it is a 15 min drive out to no where. And no one lives in the house anymore.....and I get that stupid "is someone watching me from the upper windows feeling". So tho I know it has never been searched before, I still get creeped out there and wouldn't mind another to tag along giving up shinies and everything for the reassurance. If anything happened at all I would be in trouble. No cell service right in the area..........
That too is a problem... I take a pocket knife. Lol. But at 5'1 and a metal detector in hand I look real tough, who's gonna try to take that on?;0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it depends on the day.

If I know it is going to be a short hunt in a small spot,
or if I'm in the Woods, or highly populated areas with teens & kids, I definitely like to be alone.
large groups in slum type areas draw attention. :(

If it's a large place, with nobody around & I expect to try & stay several hours,
I definitely like Company. just in case I stroke out too :laughing7:

no matter which, If I find something really cool, I enjoy it more when someone else is there to
share the experience with.

either way I'm easy to change for the moment.

Last edited:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
LOLOL I just had this discussion with the hubby. It is nice to have someone with you, but then there are times when it is more like all the shinies are mine!!!!!!!!
If I were at the park, sure come with me. Or the old fairgrounds too just cuz I know other ppl have been there before many times before. But then I have my one field that used to be a CCC camp and I was given permission to do it and am most likely the first. That one I feel like hording hehe. I brought my dad out there and he found a little faceplate off a pool table....and I was jealous....and it felt weird to be jealous over that..my precious! :tongue3:
But then there is a farmhouse that is decently old and I have permission to be there. I can go alone, sure, but it is a 15 min drive out to no where. And no one lives in the house anymore.....and I get that stupid "is someone watching me from the upper windows feeling". So tho I know it has never been searched before, I still get creeped out there and wouldn't mind another to tag along giving up shinies and everything for the reassurance. If anything happened at all I would be in trouble. No cell service right in the area..........

Hey Vandaria,long time no see! I prefer to metal detect with a partner but it also depends on what type of area I'm in.We hunted two old houses that are for sale in a little town just 10 minutes South of us for several weeks and found some pretty neat stuff.One day the mister had some errands to do and left me detecting alone and I felt perfectly safe,plus like you said "all the shinies were mine!"Like Jeff though,I like to share the experience with someone else when I find something neat. We didn't find anything shiny in that yard but I want to get back there and dig the trash pit to search for bottles.

vandaria

May 11, 2012
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-trac,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heyas CoilyGirl! ya I didn't mean to disappear. First the weather turned too hot so I wasn't going out much, then we had some tragedy with a couple of our pets over a period of about 2 months. Then the fall hit and work picked up and the wind kinda got out of my sails so to speak. Of course here I am middle of winter with it being -40 the other day and I am like ooooooooh I want to go detecting! It's only going to get worse now as I splurged on the Coiltek 15" WOT. Looking forward to bringing that out to my one field!
JunkShopFiddler thank you for the idea will def look into it. I usually feel pretty safe with where I normally go, mainly just that farm cuz it is so far. But I have enjoyed the things I have found there and plan on getting back again this spring so a radio may be a good investment. I do wish I had another person with me at the old fairgrounds/farm field, but it is not for a safety issue. Its for the I feel awkward there as it is at a major roadway with lots of cars and I feel like a goof. I know I shouldn't and once I get going I am good, but it is the initial getting going. The one time I got the hubby out there with me (a miracle lol!) it was definitely better.
Oh then there is the issue of if you are the one that gets the permission and what if the person coming with you tears up the place? I have a neighbor who is an awesome guy and he and his wife let me do their yard. He has come out to join me a couple of times now, but when he does he brings out a BIG shovel. Now that is great and all for his yard, tho OMG it looks terrible where he dug vs the whole trying to be discreet aspect. I fear the slight reputation I am getting for how I leave places looking once done would be gone and that could = not getting permission for other sites. Now I could be totally wrong and he would be great out of his yard but I worry.
Anyhow I think I am about 85-90% alone when I detect..except for my dog watching me with his head out the window of the car =D
(sorry if I am rambling need more zzzz)

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
I hunt alone for several reasons:

First, I hunt before the butt crack of dawn and usually back home before most people even wake up.

Second, I hunt very, very slow and deep in selected areas and most people don't have the patience for that type of hunting.

Third, I hunt with my dog and I have a difficult time concentrating on what I'm hearing with one eye on my dog, let alone keeping track of someone else.

Forth, who needs someone running up to you jumping up and down or sliding into you yelling roundness in the hole or nectar like those guys on Diggers do.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Heyas CoilyGirl! ya I didn't mean to disappear. First the weather turned too hot so I wasn't going out much, then we had some tragedy with a couple of our pets over a period of about 2 months. Then the fall hit and work picked up and the wind kinda got out of my sails so to speak. Of course here I am middle of winter with it being -40 the other day and I am like ooooooooh I want to go detecting! It's only going to get worse now as I splurged on the Coiltek 15" WOT. Looking forward to bringing that out to my one field! JunkShopFiddler thank you for the idea will def look into it. I usually feel pretty safe with where I normally go, mainly just that farm cuz it is so far. But I have enjoyed the things I have found there and plan on getting back again this spring so a radio may be a good investment. I do wish I had another person with me at the old fairgrounds/farm field, but it is not for a safety issue. Its for the I feel awkward there as it is at a major roadway with lots of cars and I feel like a goof. I know I shouldn't and once I get going I am good, but it is the initial getting going. The one time I got the hubby out there with me (a miracle lol!) it was definitely better. Oh then there is the issue of if you are the one that gets the permission and what if the person coming with you tears up the place? I have a neighbor who is an awesome guy and he and his wife let me do their yard. He has come out to join me a couple of times now, but when he does he brings out a BIG shovel. Now that is great and all for his yard, tho OMG it looks terrible where he dug vs the whole trying to be discreet aspect. I fear the slight reputation I am getting for how I leave places looking once done would be gone and that could = not getting permission for other sites. Now I could be totally wrong and he would be great out of his yard but I worry. Anyhow I think I am about 85-90% alone when I detect..except for my dog watching me with his head out the window of the car =D (sorry if I am rambling need more zzzz)
I'm sorry you had a rough Summer and Fall with your pets and I feel your pain about wanting Spring to hurry up and get here!I'm also glad to hear your husband is more open to you detecting ,it's such a fun hobby,maybe one day he'll want to get more involved too.as for your neighbor,let him worry about those crater sized holes,lol! I'm trying myself to learn how to dig more efficiently and not leave a mess that gets us kicked out of places in the future.Heck I don't like to leave big unsightly holes in my own yard.its a matter if pride to me I guess to get better as I go instead of digging willy nilly.

Last edited:

str8flexed

Dec 28, 2013
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO; Garrett Pro Pointer; Bazooka Mini Gold Trap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never hunted with anyone yet, although I am looking forward to sometime soon hopefully. Never think about safety issue, but then again, I've never had a problem.. being 6'7" 250lbs it'd take someone off their rocker to try something lol

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey I'm old, I prefer someone with me so one of us can dial 911 for an ambulance. I'm just sayin'!

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alone it's a get away for me. If I'm going in the woods I carry cell phone and my trusty .45 just in case. I'm not worried about people it's the coyotes that are awnrey round here lol.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like being alone iam more relaxed that way.Unless iam in the woods for safety.Because we have bears/alligators and wild hogs in some areas.

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two hunting buddies. I normally go with one or both. For several years, we have been hunting for a couple of caches. This kinda gets one tuned in to hunting with partners. So I would have to say with others as general rule. Of course, rules are made to be broken when necessary!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread