Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Nope. Sold my hand-me down Eagle to some tourists back in about 1993 for $300 and felt I got a steal.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
notgittinenny ( treasures ) said:
Michigan Badger, was that park in western Michigan happen to be Centennial park in downtown Holland? The park where they hold the huge tulip festival? If so, there was an old lady(she was in her 90's), across the street who would call the cops everytime she saw anyone detecting in that park. The cops would come out and say, (just to keep the peace) that it was illegal to hunt public property in Holland, then proceeded to tell me to go to the local school yard. I asked them if it was a parochial school and they said NO, it's a public grade school! Go figure. Any ways I was getting I.H. pennies everywhere, only 1/2 inch to 3 inches deep, Barber anything, everywhere. So I went to my sister's house in town, and made a picnic lunch, and asked my sis if she wanted to go for a picnic in the park. After I explained my situation to her, she said let's go for it. I used to own one of those Garrette hand scanning, body searching metal detectors. I also told my sis that make sure it was a blanket she no longer wanted. When we got to the park, we laid the blanket down in the area that I had been hunting. You guessed it, yup, uh huh, right through the blanket ;D. All I used for retrieval was a thin bladed screwdriver, and never damaged any coins. We followed the shade that day, and I got over 200 old coins, silver included. She called me after a couple days and said she was keeping the blanket for my return, she said she calls it her Cathlic blanket because it was so "Holey".........NGE Oh and you couldn't see where I had been digging when we moved the blanket.

Great story! No, the park I mentioned was another one.

I never hunted the Holland area but thought about it a lot.

Badger

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
lastleg, I bought it used from a friend for 75 bucks and re-sold it for 100.00. All it could do was tell you if there was metal somewhere, no disc. Just all metal. I don't know what they cost now, but I imagine a ton......NGE

thunter95

Jul 16, 2007
Lewisberry, PA
Detector(s) used
White's XLT / White's Surf PI Pro / White's Surfmaster II / White's IDX / White's Classic III
First detector died and was sent to the great treasure hunters pile in the sky.

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My first detector in the early 80's was a bounty hunter.....used....cleaned out all the neighborhood bottle caps and pop tabs, sold it got a garrett, went back and got the nickles, gold and silver!

capt1989

Jan 16, 2009
Arkansas, by way of Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Teknetics Gamma 6000, DetectorPro PiratePro, Fisher F-75 LTD2, Berkut-5 (a russian detector) and a good ole original Garrett Propointer that is still going strong.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A Garrett ADS 111. My dad bought it for me around 1980. Unfortunately, both are gone now...

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Mine was a tracker IV which I got for christmas 2 years ago. In a bag in the garage by my other detectors.

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
gold_gold_gold said:
My first Detector was from Radio Shack, I was about 13 at that time now I am 37 now I own DFX

If that is your picture...if you own a DFX..Why is that a MXT?

mxt_mxt_mxt ;D

oneeye

Aug 16, 2008
Michigan's Left Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites 6000 Di Pro, Garret Grand Master Hunter, Tesoro Tejon, Fisher 1265X
A friend talked me into buying a White's 6000 Di Pro back in the mid-80's. I have bought several newer detectors since, but I still use the old White's off and on and love it.
Dan

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, a Garrett ADS III and will never part with it. I can still find thing that I can't find with the others. It has a very low operating frequency.

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
yes! a Radio Shack Discovery 2000, a Birthday gift from my SU (spousal unit).

He thought it was just some weird phase I was going through. Yeah I've upgraded to a Fisher since those early days but the "Discovery" is still functional and will be traveling south this spring as I loan it to a property owner as we'll hunt a fabulous, pristine, privately owned piece of land in KY.

Tori

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
No, loaned mine to a friend about twelve years ago. He is still looking for it. :icon_scratch:

sodiumrye

Dec 27, 2008
NW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Still swinging my old Garrett master hunter ADS2
My first was a Bounty Hunter and in 82 or 83 (little fuzzy) I tossed it for a Garrett ADS 2 and still swinging it today :)

mred

Feb 3, 2009
A tecknetics Eagle.A four filter machine.It has to be swung fast to get the deep targets,but it does excellent in hot ground. It uses 14 AA batteries that stay in the machine and are charged by a external charger.It has a large easy to see analog dislay.

mred.

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still have my first one. A Whites Liberty I, very basic machine but I found some stuff with it. :D

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
First was a White's coinmaster 3000, got hard up for money and pawned it for 35 bucks w/ leather-make case..(idiot)...

72cheyenne

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
Mansfield, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, White's M6, White's 6000di/pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure do...White's Coinmaster 6000di/pro...bought brand spankin new back in....uh, 1986 I think. Still a great machine, just a little heavy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread