Do you still have your 1st detector?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
civic dude, is your 5000d a "series 2"? (it will say on the side). If so, you've got a good machine, that in some environments, is still competitive. A bit of a "fast swing", but still an ok machine. If you have the original 5000d, you've got a bit of a dinasour. The disc. mode on that was TR. Very old-school, and quickly outclassed in the late '70s/early '80s at the advent of motion disc. The all-metal on the original 5000d was and is still current though: Manual VLF all-metal.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
; Yes mine was a Mustang,not sure who made it but it still does work.

CivicDude

Greenie
Feb 15, 2009
Tom_in_CA no its not but it looks like its new just got back from radioshack battery holder now iam going to see if it works ???

its DEAD :(

Attachments

• cm5000d.jpg
    cm5000d.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,301

acehunter

Feb 2, 2009
california
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250, gold scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I do. But I let my buddies use it. Still works good. Bounty Hunter.

hotrod53

Dec 20, 2008
south of Pittsburgh
Detector(s) used
Jetco Coinmaster, Jetco Huntmaster, Whites 5000-D, Tesoro Toltec 100, Tesoro Cutlass II, Minelab 705 Gold, 6" Coiltek Digger coil, currently Minelab Etrac, RNB battery pack, and a Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
No and I don't miss it. I had 2 Jetcos, a Whites 5000d/GEB, a cheepie that was my father in laws, a Tesoro Cutlass II that I still have, and a Tesoro Toltec 100 that I still use.

If I still had my Jetco I would be deaf! That constant tone drove me nuts although I did like the diamond ring with 13 diamonds that my wife still wears.

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
It was many years ago. I had one from Radio Shack, I bought it at a yard sale. Very cheap. Still, I probably dug more coins with that machine than any other I have owned. I dug everything that beeped, so alot of junk was found also.

DM

labrat

Greenie
Mar 21, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
I still have my White's 66T. Bought about 1968 for around $200.00. BFO model. Found a bunch of junk at first. Then found a coin. Sounded different. Used a probe several times. Felt like it was a coin. Very excited. Dug up the coin and it was a 1944D Wheatie....with a bunch of scratches from my probing. Good coin to learn that lesson on.

eldorado

Mar 19, 2009
Northwest OHIO
Detector(s) used
started out with compass nugget.1970? have had many over years, current choice is Garrett ACE 350. collection includes: ace 250, AT Pro, ATX, Whites 6000, whites classic, still have my compass too.
My first was a girl named amy,,,,,sigh....,,,,,,,,,oops. I mean my first detector was a compass my DAD bought for himself,, I quickly confiscated it, I still have it... it is a one knob unit, works very well... MY second detector I built from scratch, point to point wire and solder, it worked fine but I dont know what ever happen to it, Probably in the trash with my comic books, darn mom, and her clean house. I now own three others, and am waiting for my Whites M6 to arrive

brokenarrow

Jan 20, 2009
San Antonio,Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st one was a Garrett 300. it was a good machine and i enjoyed using it , I just wasn't very proficient with it. But soon learned to master it and well the rest is history. It later became a gift to a good friend who wanted to start detecting. well worth every penny. ;D

hyperion

Jun 26, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX E Series
My first was a Bounty Hunter Red Baron (RB5) that I purchased new in 1979. I picked up a White's 6000 DI Pro SL around 1994 and had it until this year. Picked up a used DFX and sold the 6000, but still have that RB5 ... lot's of memories tied to that red box on a stick.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
I still have my first detector that I bought in July 1998.
A Garrett GTAx1000. It's done well but I'm now in the market to move up to a serious machine. I had never ever tried another machine until last week. Met another older gentleman at the park and he let me try his Whites XLT. Way better than my GTA. He was very knowledgeable and gave me some good advice on different units.

So soon I will decide between the Whites Spectra V³ or a Minelab E-Trac. :icon_scratch:

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
......A Garrett Sidewinder BFO in 1970.....went 50/50 on its purchase with my dad!!.........No discrimination although it went null on the old iron square nails.......sometimes we would dig all of the signals including those that made the detector go quiet.......

Drudge

Nov 19, 2007
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab: eTrac, Excalibur II, Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sold my Excalibur when i lost interest in the hobby over a year ago. Now im kicking myself but at the same time looking for new detector :laughing7:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bought my first machine a White's 5000-D in 1979 and have been using it until recently when I upgraded it to a DFX 300 and love it. By the way the 5000-D still works great.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread