Does anyone also buy silver coins?

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
...at coin shops to supplement your CRHing? With silver being down a little, I was able to pick up some Mercury dimes the other day for $1.00 each, down from $1.25 each a few weeks ago. I just buy a few at a time, along with some old buffalo nickels, to eventually get a roll of each to give the grandkids a thrill in the years to come. Full date buffalo nicks were going for .90 cents each, not too bad I thought.
Of course I had to pick up another Walker while I was there a few weeks ago too, for 5 bucks because they were in great shape. The other day he was all sold out. Someone had been in and bought almost all the wheat cents he had too, he probably had over 3 thousand of them before. He had been selling 1909 - 1919 wheats by the roll for only 4 bucks. I got 4 - '09 in one roll. A full roll of "S" mint wheats were $10 a roll.

Attachments

• aaashop.jpg
    aaashop.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 452
Upvote 0

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
I do, Ive got a number of the American Eagles, Some foreign Silver pieces and a certified Peace Dollar. Oh yeah, a proof certified Franklin as well. As far as non silver, Ive got a number of ceritfied and non certified Gold coins and a few other nick nacks.

T

TreasureTales

Nice coins. I rarely buy silver because it's hard to get good stuff these days without paying an arm and a leg. Looks like you did well. Congrats.

onecvj

Jan 24, 2007
Before I found CHR, I was buying 90% halves from a local coin shop. He usually sold them a little below spot and always included a pretty even mix of Walkers, Franklins and 64's. I keep the ones I find coin roll hunting separate, because they are of course my favorites!

I plan to buy dimes with the proceeds that I get from collecting aluminum cans when I walk my dog. It makes picking up old cans fun when I can imagine changing them in for beautiful Mercury dimes. We find about two pounds a week, which is enough to buy one silver dime. It's not much but it adds up and is good for the environment. And it's almost like finding a Mercury dime on the street once a week! (Well OK, not quite, but you get the idea)

T

TreasureTales

onecvj said:
Before I found CHR, I was buying 90% halves from a local coin shop. He usually sold them a little below spot and always included a pretty even mix of Walkers, Franklins and 64's. I keep the ones I find coin roll hunting separate, because they are of course my favorites!

I plan to buy dimes with the proceeds that I get from collecting aluminum cans when I walk my dog. It makes picking up old cans fun when I can imagine changing them in for beautiful Mercury dimes. We find about two pounds a week, which is enough to buy one silver dime. It's not much but it adds up and is good for the environment. And it's almost like finding a Mercury dime on the street once a week! (Well OK, not quite, but you get the idea)

That's a great idea! Man I really enjoy reading the creative ways people make money (or silver lol). That's as good an idea as any I've heard. Congrats to you, onecvj, I like your thinking.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice coins you got there.

But no, I don't buy silver coins and I don't plan on it because it makes my hunts all that more exciting and rewarding.

onecvj

Jan 24, 2007
Thanks for the compliment, TT. I'm sure a lot of my neighbors think I'm crazy. I guess they can join the ever growing list of people who think that, right behind the tellers at my bank!

mmiller

May 21, 2006
COLORADO SPRINGS
Detector(s) used
DFX & XLT & Judge II Auto
What I do is save all my clad up till I fill my coin jar,then take the to the bank or coin star. I will take the $ and will buy coins for my collection. I love finding old coins and collecting and what better way to do it this way.

OP
OP
scotto

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
You can't go wrong investing in coins, especially when you can pick them up cheap enough. I'd rather get mine metal detecting or doing CRH than anything else, but it's still fun to go to the coin store and pick a few up.

odinthedog

Feb 7, 2007
I buy old silver coins off Ebay for insanely high prices and spend them to get them back in to circulation.

Sort of a sacrifice to the god(esses) :-*

bongo1962

Feb 4, 2007
Buick City
odinthedog said:
I buy old silver coins off Ebay for insanely high prices and spend them to get them back in to circulation.

Sort of a sacrifice to the god(esses) :-*

[/quote
Hahahahahahhahah, you kill me, you got it bad huh? Bongo

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
A little different slant.

I buy coins and re-cycle them into banks in southern Louisiana. I know we give lejeuene a hard time, but it is the highest form of admiration and respect for her CRH talents. Cheers,Jim

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy silver dates I need to finish my 20th Century collection.

In 2004 I bought a complete Franklin set (grade Fine and better) for $135. The same seller advertises the same set now for $239. Heck the melt value alone right now is more than $160.

Then last March I bought a Walker short set (1941-45) for $80 on eBay. I'd like to say it was tremendous forsight but I was really just lucky.

I still have about eight dates left to finish my Barber dime collection and of course I'm missing the champion of Merc's - the 1916-D.

I used to buy dateless Buffalo nickels from pawn shops and bring up the dates with Nic-A-Date. Found a few keys this way. Fun stuff!

C

Coincollector22

Nice coins,

I only buy silver coins if it is going to help my collection ^_^

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
onecvj said:

Glad to see someone else does this. I take it one step further. Any money I get that comes from selling aluminum cans, finding change on the ground, selling copper, pecans, other scrap metal, etc I consider "found money". I use this to purchase full head SLQ's. I have 4 so far, 1917 T1, 1917 T2, 1927 and 1930S PCGS slabbed. I just want to see how complete a full head collection I can complete with "found money". Oh yes, I also add my MD money in there also.

But to answer the original question, I personally do not as I like getting them at face value.

OP
OP
scotto

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Re: A little different slant.

coolpix9 said:
I know we give lejeuene a hard time, but it is the highest form of admiration and respect for her CRH talents.

Oh absolutely! She is a sweetie, and I'm very happy she is doing as good as she is.

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
Yes, I think you can get silver coins under melt at coin shows. Many dealers do not change the price in their books and sometimes you can get dimes at 6-7.5x face or halves at 7x face. I try to play two angles with the buys by trying to find low mintage coins at melt or within a unit of melt. Ex. 55P Dime, 56 Frank etc.

65GT350

odinthedog

Feb 7, 2007
I buy fake chinese half dollars and dump them in southern Lousiana (how the hell do you spell that anyhow?)

RaptorSE

Sep 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE SunRay X-1
I dabble in the Precious Metals market, and buy bulk silver coins at spot+ off Ebay, then
take pictures and post them as my CRH finds !!!! Get lots of attention LOL.

Ok, thats not true. Ive never purchased a silver coin, other than face value while CRH'ing. I think I may start picking up a little of this and that with Detecting clad found,
and make some use out of it... thats a great idea !

Actually, I did buy 1 coin, one time. A kid in town was detecting along the sidewalk in front of his house, and he showed me a nice Mercury dime he found. I gave him .50 cents for it, as he wasnt interested in coins, just hidden treasure ! Was a good buy ;)

Man, its gonna be 65 degrees in PA Wednesday, Im gonna get out and find some clad, to restart the "buy coins" fund. Im excited all over again about detecting now.

Good luck all !

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice collection Scott. I have been thinking about buying some silver coins myself to start a collection like the Merc dimes you bought. One dollar a piece seems cheap to me.....good job.

Onecvj - That really is a good idea. I wish you wouldn't have mentioned this now I will be digging through trash cans......lol.

scotto said:
coolpix9 said:
I know we give lejeuene a hard time, but it is the highest form of admiration and respect for her CRH talents.

Oh absolutely! She is a sweetie, and I'm very happy she is doing as good as she is.

Thanks guys. That is very kind words...appreciate it.....making me eyes water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions