Is everyone in for the long haul?

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around last time this year there were quite a few roll hunters. The board was fairly new and had a lot of activity. Then when Spring sprung the board went kinda dead for awhile. Turns out most of the CRHers were snowbound MDers and for some reason most never came back this past winter. There are some exceptions (bscofield, most notably) but whatever happened to Hothgar, Snee and others? Silver prices have remained high so the profitability is still there.

This winter has brought many new faces and names and lot of activity to the board. I'm hoping it continues into the Spring and beyond. So the question I have for my fellow hunters (and huntresses!) is: Is this a passing fancy for you or a hobby for the long haul?

Upvote 0
C

Coincollector22

This is a hobby for a long haul! Just finding one coin thats harder to find always gets your heart pumping. Very fun hobby ^_^

HobBob

Feb 18, 2006
SW Oakland County, MI
I'm in it for the long haul, but my participation is somewhat limited by available funds...
That's why I mainly do boxes of pennies, which I have come to thoroughly enjoy. And I really get a kick out of seeing other people's successes.

Welcome to all the new names in the group!

HH,
Bob

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
HobBob said:
I'm in it for the long haul, but my participation is somewhat limited by available funds...

That's the same boat I'm in....but it is still a lot of fun, and a rush to crack open a roll and see a silver edge! ;D I'm a small-timer at this, but I do dream about getting a fantasy roll one day. The way silver is being hoarded and sucked out of circulation, this hobby (at least looking for silver halves) won't last forever, but I'll stick with it while it lasts.

I guess my good luck is the fact that I don't live in the same town as LeJeuene! ;D

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in it for the long run and I will do everything I can to suck all the rare and older coins out of circulation. ;D

C

Coincollector22

HobBob said:
That's why I mainly do boxes of pennies, which I have come to thoroughly enjoy. And I really get a kick out of seeing other people's successes.

Welcome to all the new names in the group!

HH,
Bob

thats really all I can afford as well, except for the occational roll of nickels

bongo1962

Feb 4, 2007
Buick City
Bad knees, swinging elbow is shot, can't drive my probe into the ground anymore and am expecting my first box of halves on tuesday. What do you think? Bongo

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
I think you could say I'm in it for life. LOL I'm so addicted it doesn't matter where I'm driving to if I see a bank and it's within operating hours my car is on auto pilot and pulls into the parking lot. ;D

Patrick Earl Houston

Feb 21, 2007
Cypress Garden Projects, North Memphis
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
$$$ ain't no problem. i'm goin through at least $4000/week. i got's 2 get mine, and the thought of all you haters gettin skunked on your 1 or 2 boxes/week, well that's almost as good as gettin a full roll of '64s. i mark all my returns with a magic marker across the face. lately it's been black, but i throw in some red, green, purple, and anything else i got lying around just to keep you haters guessin.

Joe88

Sep 10, 2004
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett GTA 550, &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im definitely in for the long haul.....Ive started this CRH and forum over a year ago, and it has grown so much with many new hunters. Its strange.....silver has definitely dried up in many of the areas we search, especially with the boxes (we keep searching our own coins most of the time), but with many of the new hunters comes new areas with so much more silver to be found (especially Lejeuene. who has probably topped all of us!! :)) I guess a true CRH has to be in it for the long haul, because silver supply will always rise and fall, just like the price of it!!

Joe

whoknows52

Jan 17, 2007
CHRing is fun....but I don't get the same thrill as digging a hole and having a silver coin looking up at me. Needless to say I'll be doing both.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely in for the long haul. Been doing it for over 10 years now, and I expect I will be doing it for some time to come!!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in it for the long haul.Been CRH'ing for about a year maybe a little less.I search a box a week. I haven't seen any silver for quite a while though.Last 12 boxes,nothing.That's 12000 coins without a single silver.Try,try again! :)

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
diggummup said:
I haven't seen any silver for quite a while though.Last 12 boxes,nothing.That's 12000 coins without a single silver.

Wow, I'd be getting pretty discouraged after that. :-\

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
I'm new to the forum here, but have been doing the coin roll searching since before I could drive, which is over 10 years. First it started off a little bit here and there but lately I've been doing mainly halves and nickels in larger quantities. Just found about about this forum in TreasureNet, that's why I am new here. Definitely been a hobby of mine for a long time, and will continue to be.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long haul here. Opening each roll to me is like a Christmas present...ha! I love Christmas too. Weekends are starting to be a bummer.....can't Christmas shop. Saturdays alot of banks are without a vault teller so pickings are slim, but at least it gives you an idea for Monday...... ;)

THEDUKE

Feb 20, 2007
Ocean County New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900/DI PRO SL
Long hall, Found my first morgan dollar as a kid digging in a stream near old trolley car tracks trail going to palisades amusement park in 1969 ever since then I was hooked on old coins
did not even have metal detector just happend to dig it up while playing.

here is even a pic or the trail tracks are gone now but
http://www.edgewateronline.com/gallery/edgegallery3.html

here some pics of old palisades amusement park its gone now, had lot of fun living below park and climbing the cliff as a kid and sneaking in the park
http://www.palisadespark.com/

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long Haul!
Plenty of time between work, detecting, and prospecting for gold. Maybe I should give up the work?

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bongo1962 said:
Bad knees, swinging elbow is shot, can't drive my probe into the ground anymore and am expecting my first box of halves on tuesday. What do you think? Bongo
That box of halves is heavy. Just watch how you pick it up from your trunk.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread