Does anyone also buy silver coins?

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
...at coin shops to supplement your CRHing? With silver being down a little, I was able to pick up some Mercury dimes the other day for $1.00 each, down from $1.25 each a few weeks ago. I just buy a few at a time, along with some old buffalo nickels, to eventually get a roll of each to give the grandkids a thrill in the years to come. Full date buffalo nicks were going for .90 cents each, not too bad I thought.
Of course I had to pick up another Walker while I was there a few weeks ago too, for 5 bucks because they were in great shape. The other day he was all sold out. Someone had been in and bought almost all the wheat cents he had too, he probably had over 3 thousand of them before. He had been selling 1909 - 1919 wheats by the roll for only 4 bucks. I got 4 - '09 in one roll. A full roll of "S" mint wheats were $10 a roll.

Attachments

• aaashop.jpg
    aaashop.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 452
Upvote 0

THEDUKE

Feb 20, 2007
Ocean County New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900/DI PRO SL
I been buying on and off over last 15 years.
Also sold lot on ebay almost all like 7 years ago.
now I been buying lot of em over last few years just before the big price jump I managed to buy lot of proof sets of ebay pre 1964 proof sets manages to get a lot of them have over 300 proof sets was buying them cheap like 10 to 25 a pop when silver was around 6.
also loaded up with morgans and peace dollars and few rolls of the american eagles.
still metal detect to have a few jars of silver found with that.
90 percent of what I have I bought.
Yes this is a real good time to own silver, looking back remember not long ago say 1992 the 1958 proof sets were selling for 12 dollars each and the 56 think like 22 each all the rest well from 1956 to 1964 were selling from 6 to 8 dollars each.
I think all these proof sets not mint sets proof sets are going to all go way up in price no matter what silver does as there 50 year mark is reached.
silver is just so fare behind the times it is just so down next to anything even in todays world a loaf of bread 3 dollars or a gallon of milk 3.50 or gas for your car.
Now we use silver more then ever in just about anything with a cpu board cell phone batteries, tv, vsr, printer, computer, car radio, silver in solder for refrigeration lines etc, thats only small amount of stuff most of that is not recycled just gets tossed.
WEll small amounts silver in that stuff but all adds up ok 5 cents silver in cell phone batterys think of the millions of people have cell phones and upgrade em every year or two.
think I was reading somewere something like 350 million chinese now have cell phones something like that.
soon people will relize we are having a real silver shortage more is being used then can be mined.

T

TreasureTales

THEDUKE, I believe, is absolutely right about the current low price of silver and the increasing world demand. I/ve read that China is doing more mining for gold and silver to try to provide its own resources, but soon it will have to buy silver and gold because it won't be able to keep up with the demand within its own country. If you are interested in investing in silver for the bullion value, you might think about silver dollars since they are much larger than 10 dimes, yet the price is approximately equal to 10 dimes (silver dimes). IOW, the silver content of the silver dollar is more than 10 times the silver content of a silver dime.

10 silver dimes (Roosevelt) contain approx. .72 ounce of silver
1 silver dollar (Morgan) contains approx .77 ounce of silver

[from the 2001 edition of the Red Book]

So if the price is the same, buy the silver dollar instead of 10 silver dimes.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy a few here and there typically at coin shows.

Usually just peruse the bargain bins and look for underpriced stuff. Picked up a few mercs at $0.85 when the silver price was around its recent peak, a couple of canadian silver coins for under what I could sell their silver content for, and a couple of nice BU 40% halves for under what I had just sold beat up ones for a few minutes earlier.

I also occasionally will buy other coins to fill in my collection, but I tend to buy the more difficult dates (unless I spot a real bargain) and hope to find the common ones. Either way I keep track of everything I buy so I can determine what part of my total collection I got from CRHing.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I purchase silver every chance I get. My Morgan collection is coming along slowly but surely. Dimes and quarters I haven't really been interested in, but I pick them up if the price is right. Bullion coins too.

Hope I don't have to cancel my camping trip to make a mad dash back to my safety deposit box soon, LOL!

Gabev71

Dec 23, 2006
Stockton, Ca
i buy silver coins whenver i can afford to,besides whatever i can find thats in circulation..banks, stores, etc. infact i dont even limit it silver anymore, i've found myself selling my comic and baseball/football collection on ebay and turning around and using the money to buy palladium, silver, and gold. I really believe in 15 years the demand for precious metals is going to be greater then the supply available and why not capitalize now so i can have a sizeable nest egg and hopefully retire early.

OP
OP
scotto

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I just got 31 silver halves off of ebay, on a buy it now. Paid $23.00, and 3 are 90%ers. Not too bad I guess, he had 3 more auctions for silver halves and they got sucked up right away. They were listed like 10 minutes before I bought the one auction. Most of the halves on ebay go for what silver halves are selling for, and when you add shipping you end up paying too much.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scotto said:
I just got 31 silver halves off of ebay, on a buy it now. Paid $23.00, and 3 are 90%ers.

That is great :) $23 for $15.50 face value. I don't know what silver is today but that could be worth about $67 melt value.

Good going, I hope he is legit. He certainly doesn't know coins.

OP
OP
scotto

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
cyberdan said:
scotto said:
I just got 31 silver halves off of ebay, on a buy it now. Paid $23.00, and 3 are 90%ers.

That is great :) $23 for $15.50 face value. I don't know what silver is today but that could be worth about $67 melt value.

Good going, I hope he is legit. He certainly doesn't know coins.

He had a lot of feedback, and 100% positive. He admitted he didn't know much about coins, so I got lucky. I won't buy from anyone with less than 95% positive, too many shady dealers out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread