Does disc increase depth on the AT MAX and help find deep silver ?????

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you use the max and hunt for silver you might want to take a look at this video! to disc or not to disc is the million dollar question....the coin was not found with the max but it was a very deep coin around 9 inchs and fits what I talk about in the video very well DSCN1266.JPG DSCN1267.JPG

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice video! Thank you for sharing. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't if the go pro captured it good but it helped the signal on the deep silver.. maybe enough to make a person dig a target that they might have passed on.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Adding disc. only removes the audio and does not add add or take away depth, unlike some detectors with rotary knobs, where as you increase the disc, you do in fact lose depth.

But, some of the harmonics and other signals which often help to define the target as good or bad will also be lost.

The rule of thumb is too use the least amount of disc. as possible.
mds.gif

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does because it discs out the ground minerals that start to overtake the DEEP target and those minerals are why you hear the iron grunt on the edge of the signals, found the same to be true with my primary detector too.. I know it doesn't increase depth per se but it does disc out the ground minerals that are trying to overtake the target at depth which lets the signal clean up... Andy Sabich says that disc increases depth on the deus and ive found it to be true on that machine too.....I was always on Johns line of thinking too , ran my at pro with zero disc but you in see the video which one hits the extreme deep silver better.. NO DISC ? LOW DISC? OR HIGH DISC? I have always heard the less disc the better too but sometimes in testing on targets ,you find things that go against the grain... I will test the max at full disc and see if it effects depth..

beep1971

Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd agree here, in a way adding disc at the lower end is like ground filtering as your removing all the unwanted audio, adding disc at the other end can easily lose you deep targets.

It does because it discs out the ground minerals that start to overtake the DEEP target and those minerals are why you hear the iron grunt on the edge of the signals, found the same to be true with my primary detector too.. I know it doesn't increase depth per se but it does disc out the ground minerals that are trying to overtake the target at depth which lets the signal clean up... Andy Sabich says that disc increases depth on the deus and ive found it to be true on that machine too.....I was always on Johns line of thinking too , ran my at pro with zero disc but you in see the video which one hits the extreme deep silver better.. NO DISC ? LOW DISC? OR HIGH DISC? I have always heard the less disc the better too but sometimes in testing on targets ,you find things that go against the grain... I will test the max at full disc and see if it effects depth..

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive always heard that too BUT on the MAX I could find no depth loss on it with disc wide open on coins...:dontknow: I have tried it on my primary detector tooo and couldn't find a depth loss with a high disc. I did find it on that detector when it was almost wide open. I shot a video too will post it...

muerte33

Jun 27, 2015
Southern Mississippi!
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Nel Storm Coil, XP Deus 11" Coil, Minelab Equinox 600, White's TRX, Teknetics TekPoint, XP MI-6 Pinpointers, Lesche shovels
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive always heard that too BUT on the MAX I could find no depth loss on it with disc wide open on coins...:dontknow: I have tried it on my primary detector tooo and couldn't find a depth loss with a high disc. I did find it on that detector when it was almost wide open. I shot a video too will post it...

Hey Calabash,
I love your Youtube videos.
Could you please add some nickels to your test garden.
I would like to see some tested at 7+ inches with the Deus (which I own but only the 11" coil).
Could be modern, buffalo, "V", War Nickel, and/or shield nickels.
They give bizarre readings on my Deus setup when they are deep.
Thanks

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dig more iron when I use disc

tommypunk

Tenderfoot
Dec 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Max, Garrett Euro ace
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Calabsh,

I’ve seen all your videos and i honestly think they’re not as good as they could be.
I really appreciate when people publish videos about “learning the new machines” and I like to share my experiences as well, but it really seems you just got the Max, you don’t even know its sounds, the best settings, and in general how to use it, but you are trying to compare it to other detecotrs or somehow to teach to other people how to use it and if it’s good or not. I’m using my Max since 3 months and I feel like i’m starting to understand it better and discoever its potential only now.
From you videos it seems that you judge it withouth even knowing it.
An example that it’s pretty ridicoule for me (and for everyone who know how it really works): in one of your videos you say that it cannot recognize a silver coin if it’s more that 9 inches deep (while your Deus obviously goes to 13...).. well that’s totally not true as i digged smaller silver coins at 12 with no problema using the right settings.
I like to watch videos, but please, before wearing the teacher jacket, learn the machine, because from your videos people could actually think that the At Max is a mediocre machine, when actually to unveil its potential, you simply need to know it more than you do.
Ah, I’m sure that if you enable comments in your youtube page, a lot of people will tell you the exact same stuff that I just wrote (and probably in a better english :D ).
Not a destructive critic, just something i wanted to say.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Calabsh,

I’ve seen all your videos and i honestly think they’re not as good as they could be.
I really appreciate when people publish videos about “learning the new machines” and I like to share my experiences as well, but it really seems you just got the Max, you don’t even know its sounds, the best settings, and in general how to use it, but you are trying to compare it to other detecotrs or somehow to teach to other people how to use it and if it’s good or not. I’m using my Max since 3 months and I feel like i’m starting to understand it better and discoever its potential only now.
From you videos it seems that you judge it withouth even knowing it.
An example that it’s pretty ridicoule for me (and for everyone who know how it really works): in one of your videos you say that it cannot recognize a silver coin if it’s more that 9 inches deep (while your Deus obviously goes to 13...).. well that’s totally not true as i digged smaller silver coins at 12 with no problema using the right settings.
I like to watch videos, but please, before wearing the teacher jacket, learn the machine, because from your videos people could actually think that the At Max is a mediocre machine, when actually to unveil its potential, you simply need to know it more than you do.
Ah, I’m sure that if you enable comments in your youtube page, a lot of people will tell you the exact same stuff that I just wrote (and probably in a better english :D ).
Not a destructive critic, just something i wanted to say.

I suppose Calabash will respond himself but just wanted to let you to know that Calabash started detecting with an AT Pro so he is not starting out from ground zero with no familiarity of how the Garett AT series works. That tends to lower the learning curve somewhat vs. someone that has no familiarity with Garrett detectors overall or the AT series in particular. Besides that, he has tested a number of different detectors and knows his way around the different brands. Point taken though that no one can really pick up any detector, regardless of their experience or background and claim to be an expert on its quirks and nuances on day 1 of swinging the detector.

tommypunk

Tenderfoot
Dec 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As i said before, mine is not a destructive critic to him, but to how he started to share videos as “tutorials” when he actually didn’t know anything about the machine.
For my experience and from all the other guys who actually owned an At Pro, or an At Gold those detectors are reaaaly different from the At Max and a lot of people even say that passing from the Pro to the Max takes even more time, making the learning curve bigger as there’s an expectations bias based on the fact that starting from the sound, to how they react, the machines look the same but they’re totally different.
Another example: high disc doesn’t “clean the signal”, it just cut off the sound from the iron crackling that can come out every single time that a good target is deeper that 8 inches. So if you know the Max’s sounds you know that when a target is deep even when it’s good it can sound like iron on the edge and send a good small sound in the middle.. proportional audio helps in this, but it takes time to learn: when deeper than 5 inches just one good vdi number with a good sound alternated to jumpy numbers and iron sound, could be a silver coin, dig it. Setting iron disc to 44 can make you loose good targets. So, instead of setting the metal detector to to high disc levels to please my ears, i would suggest to learn and accept crackling sounds on deep targets..
Well, as i said i’m not a master in this and i’m not trying to teach anything, this is just my experience and i like to share it as it could be useful for others.. i’m just not creating a tutorial on it. (And i wouldn’t have done it especially the first week with the Max, when i still needed to figure out a lot of things).

Last edited:

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, I watched the video, and it does cause me to say Hmmmm.....why not try that, how hard could that be, I didn't see Calabash coming across as saying THIS is what you should do, simply offered a tip on something he tried just for the heck of it and found a difference that I think surprised even him. I have an AT Pro I sometimes use, and I to set it at Pro Zero mode with say 25 on the iron disc, next time I'll try it at 35 and listen, I also run it with iron audio "off", Calabash also pointed out that it could depend on Ground mineralization depending on where you are, say East Coast vs. West, North & South, and say the US vs, Europe. Tommypunk, you did seem a little harsh in your comments saying he does not know anything about the machine, you do not know that, after all, you said yourself you have only 3 months on the Max, and in the detecting world, that's not a lot of time on any type of detector. Calabash I again believe was just sharing a tip with others that they might want to try out, and that is in part one of the great things about this Forum.

tommypunk

Tenderfoot
Dec 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it’s not 3 months in the detecting world, those are the months spent with the Max.
Believe me I love to watch videos and learn from other people, every week i search for new At Max videos to learn something new and when i learn, i do like to share my opinion and experiences.
I’ve never criticized any of the videos i’ve seen, but this time, these videos (especially the first ones) gave me the impression of someone comparing detectors using one of them at half of its potential and showing results withouth knowing the best settings.
Again I loved to watch other users videos and it never came into my mind to move any critic, there’s a reason i did this time and probably togheter with all that i said before, maybe the “teaching” attitude that i felt made me sound” harshy” in the comments..didn’t mean to, nothin personal Calabash.

Last edited:

beep1971

Jan 3, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your quote highlights what would be a major problem for myself if i owned the MAX, and confirms my initial fear after watching vids on it's operation, it's poor audio.
A detector that runs such iron crackle, coupled with poor iron disc/audio on coins from 5"+ in it's deepest AM mode, is well below par for a modern detector claiming being DEEP as one of it's main selling points.
For owners to say you have to 'learn it's audio' is a copout pushed by many Garrett fanboys, you don't need to learn poor audio like that with some other DEEP detectors, them days are long gone, i can get 10"+ coins in mineralised soil with much better audio, finding deep coins and quality audio go hand in hand in my book.

Another example: high disc doesn’t “clean the signal”, it just cut off the sound from the iron crackling that can come out every single time that a good target is deeper that 5 inches. So if you know the Max’s sounds you know that when a target is deep even when it’s good it can sound like iron on the edge and send a good small sound in the middle.. proportional audio helps in this, but it takes time to learn: when deeper than 5 inches just one good vdi number with a good sound alternated to jumpy numbers and iron sound, could be a silver coin, dig it. Setting iron disc to 44 can make you loose good targets. So, instead of setting the metal detector to to high disc levels to please my ears, i would suggest to learn and accept crackling sounds on deep targets..

tommypunk

Tenderfoot
Dec 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, i corrected that post, my mistake, confusion between cm and inches.
All targets below 8 inches could start to give uncertain signals depending on the mineralization and i guess all metal detectors start to loose precision at some point.
Anyway, I’m not a fanboy and i think this post wasn’t about being Pro-against Garrett, so please don’t start this kind of polemic... at least with me :D

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok lets see where to start... Ok tested the machine in my garden on deep targets and found disc cleaned up the signal and shared it.. or to be exact took most of the iron crackle away ... where I am from that means cleaned up the signal. Yep not gonna spend a 100 hours with the max to start learning the little nuances of the audio saw enough for myself in the garden. As for the teaching part who are you to judge me and whether I'm capable of teaching someone how to use the max? What degree do you have to hold to tell someone adding disc helps clean the iron crackle out of deep signals ? Do I have to have a 100 hours or a 1000 on it to be able to share that? I did start with the pro and they aint no difference really in how to operate the max and it. There aint but one way in my soil to get MAX performance out of the max , cut it on ground balance it and turn it sens wide open , disc is up to you.. it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out!( We can talk about neg ground balance too) Try a deus if you want to see a bunch of settings. The garrett machines are VERY simple to use and easy to setup BECAUSE they are not adjustable. I shared my findings with others who might not know as much as you do and also told them to conduct their own test. Whether you want to admit or not the audio on the max stinks and I aint the only one saying that.BTW the garret AT series are probably the most simple detectors to use ive come across and having learned on the AT PRO the only learning curve would be in the nuances on the audio in disc mode that's it ... I will bet I showed something performance wise in that video you didn't care for! What was it ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As i said before, mine is not a destructive critic to him, but to how he started to share videos as “tutorials” when he actually didn’t know anything about the machine.
For my experience and from all the other guys who actually owned an At Pro, or an At Gold those detectors are reaaaly different from the At Max and a lot of people even say that passing from the Pro to the Max takes even more time, making the learning curve bigger as there’s an expectations bias based on the fact that starting from the sound, to how they react, the machines look the same but they’re totally different.
Another example: high disc doesn’t “clean the signal”, it just cut off the sound from the iron crackling that can come out every single time that a good target is deeper that 8 inches. So if you know the Max’s sounds you know that when a target is deep even when it’s good it can sound like iron on the edge and send a good small sound in the middle.. proportional audio helps in this, but it takes time to learn: when deeper than 5 inches just one good vdi number with a good sound alternated to jumpy numbers and iron sound, could be a silver coin, dig it. Setting iron disc to 44 can make you loose good targets. So, instead of setting the metal detector to to high disc levels to please my ears, i would suggest to learn and accept crackling sounds on deep targets..
Well, as i said i’m not a master in this and i’m not trying to teach anything, this is just my experience and i like to share it as it could be useful for others.. i’m just not creating a tutorial on it. (And i wouldn’t have done it especially the first week with the Max, when i still needed to figure out a lot of things).

What learning curve they are the same detectors and function the same the only difference in the max is the AUDIO and oh yeah you can add disc in all metal . What learning curve besides tonal nuances are you guys carrying on about. Some of us use very sophisticated detectors such as the ctx ,deus, etrac etc and the garrets are about as simple as 2 plus 2 equals 4 as sophistication goes. For me there aint nothing to figure out on the max ..besides it nuances in its tones and that aint gonna happen because its audio is sub par. Please tell us what does deep iron sound like does it have that same iron crackle as deep silver coins? Remember not everybody learns at the same pace what it takes one 3 months to learn another might learn in a week ... just saying and it really only took me about 30 minutes to figure out the AT max audio for the type of relic hunting I do would just not cut the mustard.. I hunt iron infested sites and that machines audio doesn't deal with thick iron with low disc or iron audio on very well at all.. actually to be honest its the worst ive ever heard. Remember I have to hear the iron to LOCATE my sites and where the habitation was... I'm still scratching my head over this big learning curve coming from the pro or gold to the at max...:dontknow:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, it’s not 3 months in the detecting world, those are the months spent with the Max.
Believe me I love to watch videos and learn from other people, every week i search for new At Max videos to learn something new and when i learn, i do like to share my opinion and experiences.
I’ve never criticized any of the videos i’ve seen, but this time, these videos (especially the first ones) gave me the impression of someone comparing detectors using one of them at half of its potential and showing results withouth knowing the best settings.
Again I loved to watch other users videos and it never came into my mind to move any critic, there’s a reason i did this time and probably togheter with all that i said before, maybe the “teaching” attitude that i felt made me sound” harshy” in the comments..didn’t mean to, nothin personal Calabash.

Ok half its potential and the best settings.... it don't take a genius to cut the max on ground balance it and turn it wide open that's the best setting in my soil for depth.. (disc like I did in the video) What other settings you taking about> the max doesn't have any more settings besides all metal.. :icon_scratch: Ok I showed a result that you didn't like I get that but facts are fact and myths are myths.. like I said in my other post there really is no learning curve coming from other at detectors besides audio.. What are these super secret ninja performance enhancing settings you keep talking about????? They don't exist the at series is not very adjustable. If you would be honest I bet you said that BECAUSE of the negative results I showed! If I had toned down the deus and showed the max beating it I would have been a guru regardless of time on the machine..:laughing7: BTW folks don't buy into the super secret ninja setting they don't exist........

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread