Does disc increase depth on the AT MAX and help find deep silver ?????

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Max, Garrett AT Pro, with stock coil
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

tommypunk

Tenderfoot
Dec 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Max, Garrett Euro ace
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea thanks for the explanations.. now I remember what pushed me to write about these videos, and most of all it has been your attitude, a little arrogant differently from many other users who had more experience than you with this detector but still explained their point of view and shared their experience in such a better and humble way.
Anyway, there’s nothin to hide about the Max, the sound is cracky but I honestly didn’t have any problem hunting in really really trashy areas full of iron everywhere.. maybe I’m not used to other perfect sounds, i don’t know, i just learned how to read em and for me it’s fine. When i saw you moving the silver coin in the air and then say that it couldn t get it at more than 9 inches when the deus went to 13, i’m sorry, that’s where i started to really doubt about your videos.. and not because of you, or because you started to produce tutorials after 7 days with a new machine, but because it’s a fact, my detector gave me good signals on smaller silver coins, underground, actually deeper than 10 inches. Is it ok for you as an explanation? I’m not here for polemics, or because I love Garretts and i need to defend my Max, i couldn’t care less, I just didn’t like how you made your videos and i don’t agree with some of your opinions and suggestions.
Can I? I could go on like you did and start with , “who are you to tell me if i can write a critic or not and bla bla.. genius, scientist etc..”but i honestly don’t feel the need for these kind of virtual provocation to show the world (virtually) who’s the most badass....
Goodnight

Last edited:
OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No detector is a magic wand, a $1500 detector in the hands of inexperience is no better than a machine that cost a $100. It sounds as though from your post you really like the Deus and you have had great success using the Deus, I've had good luck with the Garrett machines, it's all a matter of preference. Just my 2 cents worth.

I found a lot with a at pro myself just switched brands and found one that performs better but with that being said not all NEED or are looking for the performance enhancement I'm talking about. So yes you are correct its a personal preference.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea thanks for the explanations.. now I remember what pushed me to write about these videos, and most of all it has been your attitude, a little arrogant differently from many other users who had more experience than you with this detector but still explained their point of view and shared their experience in such a better and humble way.
Anyway, there’s nothin to hide about the Max, the sound is cracky but I honestly didn’t have any problem hunting in really really trashy areas full of iron everywhere.. maybe I’m not used to other perfect sounds, i don’t know, i just learned how to read em and for me it’s fine. When i saw you moving the silver coin in the air and then say that it couldn t get it at more than 9 inches when the deus went to 13, i’m sorry, that’s where i started to really doubt about your videos.. and not because of you, or because you started to produce tutorials after 7 days with a new machine, but because it’s a fact, my detector gave me good signals on smaller silver coins, underground, actually deeper than 10 inches. Is it ok for you as an explanation? I’m not here for polemics, or because I love Garretts and i need to defend my Max, i couldn’t care less, I just didn’t like how you made your videos and i don’t agree with some of your opinions and suggestions.
Can I? I could go on like you did and start with , “who are you to tell me if i can write a critic or not and bla bla.. genius, scientist etc..”but i honestly don’t feel the need for these kind of virtual provocation to show the world (virtually) who’s the most badass....
Goodnight

When you make test videos your always a target if you show a negative about a brand.... 9 inchs on a silver dime aint bad either! I Go ask John Edmonton the garrett man himself what the at max air test on a us silver dime... if you look thru the post on the garrett forum you will find his results... 9 1/2 Inchs . So no my test wasn't doctored as your suggesting. Now your telling us that yours will hit SMALLER silver coins in ground deeper than it will air test..:laughing7: BTW GET OUT YOUR GO PRO AND SHOW US IT DOING SO....

Last edited:

gadabout

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2017
Western Washington USA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 11" LF 9"HF elliptical

Garrett AT gold
5.5 x 8.5 DD
4.5 concentric Super Sniper
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a new member on this site I highly appreciate all the hard work the senior members have done here and elsewhere...

The information here has saved me an enormous amount of hours acquiring the technical aspects/nuances of these machines...
Calabash has provided a virtual online test bed that far exceeds anything I could develop myself....and provided well standardized results from a wide range of machines costing many thousands of $ and hundreds of hours of his time to present no cost to me... (Yes he has his preferences as do we all but he also has a wealth of experience that far exceeds most of us) THANK YOU!!!!!

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
AT PRO Pointer, NEL Storm coil, Garrett 5 X 8 coil, 9 X 12 Garrett concentric coil, Nel 6.5 x 9 coil for the Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a lot with a at pro myself just switched brands and found one that performs better but with that being said not all NEED or are looking for the performance enhancement I'm talking about. So yes you are correct its a personal preference.

Yep agree, I looked at several detectors and finally pulled the trigger on the At Max for my new detector, reason comfort zone with Garrett. Another reason I selected the Max as my new detector is that it’s waterproof yes, there are others that are waterproof but again comfort factor. I looked at the new Minelab Equinox but it's not waterproof, also the battery is built in and if needs replacement has to be sent back to the manufacturer I have also read the specs that the battery has a charge life of 6-8 hours, if true I hope Minelab changes this. With the AT and others, one can use AA, or other rechargeable batteries. I use the RNB rechargeable and get up to 40 hours of detecting time between charges. I Looked at the Nokta Impact did not get a comfortable feeling with it either, Nokta is not waterproof but does have some features that I really like. Anyway, thanks for the post and videos.

OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the equinox is waterproof.. I will say this rechargeable batteries are the best imo my deus will run 11 hours on a charge ..Batteries will last up to 5 years some are still running on the originals. A detector with rechargables batteries is a plus imo and I bet the equinox will run 8 hours or more. I cant name to many hunts where ive hunted 8 hours straight. Will cost me 50 bucks to have them changed when the time comes but they have a warranty for 2 years I think . I have NEVER had my detector die in the field unlike my I phone. lol good hunting

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The battery is also not built-in on the Nokta Impact, if that actually was the detector you were referring to (really read like you were referring to the Minelab machine). If you were referring to the Minelab - one thing to note, if you needed a waterproof detector for salt beach, then the Equinox might be a better choice (at least on paper at this point) because it will use a simultaneous multi-frequency mode that has proven in the past to be superior for salt beach conditions. Furthermore, the Equinox will employ high frequency modes at 20 and 40 khz that are ideal for mid-conductor targets like small gold jewelry or prospecting. In these areas, Equinox may out perform the Max, again on paper. We need to see how the Equinox really performs once released before going to the bank with those claims, however.

Last edited:

Hal2k

Dec 9, 2016
Blountsville, Al
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The battery is also not built-in on the Nokta Impact, if that actually was the detector you were referring to (really read like you were referring to the Minelab machine). If you were referring to the Minelab - one thing to note, if you needed a waterproof detector for salt beach, then the Equinox might be a better choice (at least on paper at this point) because it will use a simultaneous multi-frequency mode that has proven in the past to be superior for salt beach conditions. Furthermore, the Equinox will employ high frequency modes at 20 and 40 khz that are ideal for mid-conductor targets like small gold jewelry or prospecting. In these areas, Equinox may out perform the Max, again on paper. We need to see how the Equinox really performs once released before going to the bank with those claims, however.

Yes, I was referring to the Minelab Equinox having the built in Lithium battery, that was one of the things that weighed in on my decision to hold off on the Equinox. Some of the other points were it looks great on paper but is it really that great. The Whites MX Sport looked really great on paper but was a disaster after it came out, but they did get it straighten out, just hate being the Guinea pig.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I was referring to the Minelab Equinox having the built in Lithium battery, that was one of the things that weighed in on my decision to hold off on the Equinox. Some of the other points were it looks great on paper but is it really that great. The Whites MX Sport looked really great on paper but was a disaster after it came out, but they did get it straighten out, just hate being the Guinea pig.

After being one of the Sport guinea pigs, I can completely understand. Hopefully though, if the teething issues with the Equinox are purely software, at least they can be addressed with a downloadable SW update, unlike the Sport. Also, the Sport had hardware issues too. Fact is, you have a working detector in your hands now (the Max) while the Equinox folks just have their dreams, expectations, and promo materials. Lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread