NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
When I first met my future wife, she was working at a nursing home as a cook. And I was working as an auto body repairman. About 3 years after marriage, she decided that she would like to try TH'ing. So I gave her a machine for CHRISTmas one year. Everything was great for about 3 months. I took her to one of my favorite old school yards and showed her a spot I had not hunted yet, I wandered off to do my own thing. After about an hour, I decided to check on her, she was leaning on her machine, smoking a cigarette, and constantly looking at her watch. I asked her if she had found anything, she said YES.... All the bottle caps and trash that she was cleaning out for me! I also asked her why she kept looking at her watch, she said it was 2:45 and if we hurry, she could get home in time to watch " Her Story" ::) :'(. End of her "NEW" hobby. She did not share my hobby and I did not enjoy watching Soap Opera's. We are still married (33 years) she doesn't watch that stuff anymore, I still hunt. She says that when I get something in my craw, it doesn't matter what she says, " I am going anyways" (Me) Now, she is constantly signing me up for old fogey type shows and plays and church activities, and anything to cut down on my hunting time >:(. of course the tundra is frozen now, but, I would rather be doing my research now instead of going to watch a one man band at the local senior center :laughing9:. then after that go give what little blood I have left. Yessiree Bob, an exciting agenda for today.........NGE

OP
OP
johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
notgittinenny said:
When I first met my future wife, she was working at a nursing home as a cook. And I was working as an auto body repairman. About 3 years after marriage, she decided that she would like to try TH'ing. So I gave her a machine for CHRISTmas one year. Everything was great for about 3 months. I took her to one of my favorite old school yards and showed her a spot I had not hunted yet, I wandered off to do my own thing. After about an hour, I decided to check on her, she was leaning on her machine, smoking a cigarette, and constantly looking at her watch. I asked her if she had found anything, she said YES.... All the bottle caps and trash that she was cleaning out for me! I also asked her why she kept looking at her watch, she said it was 2:45 and if we hurry, she could get home in time to watch " Her Story" ::) :'(. End of her "NEW" hobby. She did not share my hobby and I did not enjoy watching Soap Opera's. We are still married (33 years) she doesn't watch that stuff anymore, I still hunt. She says that when I get something in my craw, it doesn't matter what she says, " I am going anyways" (Me) Now, she is constantly signing me up for old fogey type shows and plays and church activities, and anything to cut down on my hunting time >:(. of course the tundra is frozen now, but, I would rather be doing my research now instead of going to watch a one man band at the local senior center :laughing9:. then after that go give what little blood I have left. Yessiree Bob, an exciting agenda for today.........NGE

I have had nightmares about this...... >:D

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cntrydncr1 said:
I think the next man I date must like detecting too. This is the best hobby and I enjoy vacations where I can detect. I think if a man can love me looking grungy, hair all over the place, with headphones and kneepads then he is a keeper! lol It is good for each to have their own interests, though better if they can enjoy fantastic hobbies together.

You are a keeper! :notworthy:
Now if I were single............................

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on the woman. My wife thinks the hobby is stupid and can't believe I would rather spend an afternoon hunting for pennies then spending time with the family. She also thinks people are laughing at me when I talk about my hobby and tells me I shouldn't. Now I work full time and care for our daughter when my wife travels for work 10-12 days a month. I really don't get it. I would support any hobby she was interested in because I knew she was happy doing it. If you have a supportive spouse then you are an extremely lucky person.

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I have an extremely supportive spouse, but you gotta know that before you say 'I do.' Have known others who's spouses said "I can do/love this," but after the vows are said, they don't. That's got to be extremely disappointing to MD'ers, hunters, fishers and explorers. I MD, hunt (deer), fish, and love the woods, but my hubby doesn't. However, he makes the coffee and fires for the hunters (we have several) and loves to cook the after-hunt dinners. Couldn't ask for a better guy. Guess I'm just lucky. 23 years married. Gotta find the right guy/girl up front.

Bubba707

Dec 28, 2010
N E Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
DFX, AT Pro, Vaquero, Cortes
I'm very lucky since my wife doesn't crab about anything I get interested in except collecting large caliber guns. Those things scare her. I sold the guns, only keeping a .357 Colt Lawman and a very old 12 guage. I mess around with computers, pewter casting, sewing, metal detecting and astronomy with no flak at all. She has less than no interest in doing any of those things but figures if I enjoy it that's fine. She says at least I'm not out drinking, fighting and chasing women. :laughing7: The other side of that is I'm supportive of her interests. I see to it her favorite soap opera gets recorded so she doesn't miss it and have no problem running off to get her yarn, beads or whatever else she needs for her crafts. It's really a two way street.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bubba707 said:
I'm very lucky since my wife doesn't crab about anything I get interested in except collecting large caliber guns. Those things scare her. I sold the guns, only keeping a .357 Colt Lawman and a very old 12 guage. I mess around with computers, pewter casting, sewing, metal detecting and astronomy with no flak at all. She has less than no interest in doing any of those things but figures if I enjoy it that's fine. She says at least I'm not out drinking, fighting and chasing women. :laughing7: The other side of that is I'm supportive of her interests. I see to it her favorite soap opera gets recorded so she doesn't miss it and have no problem running off to get her yarn, beads or whatever else she needs for her crafts. It's really a two way street.

Now that's the secret to a good relationship :icon_thumleft:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
marriage is alot like metal detecting * you are looking for "treasure" -- and like a detector -- in a wife you have to get the right make and model suited to your needs and likes, and one you can afford .

dtpost

Jan 3, 2011
Florida, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT,BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
marriage is alot like metal detecting * you are looking for "treasure" -- and like a detector -- in a wife you have to get the right make and model suited to your needs and likes, and one you can afford .
Go to your local detector shop and find you a wife, that one is a no brainer :sign13:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
wanting in a detector shop fer a "single gal" --hope you got a fair bit of spare time --lol

psst country dancer from florida * (see above -- photo ) seems to be single and avaible and def likes to metal detect -- so most likely shes is a outdoors type of country gal .

women that are suited for outdoors men are few and fair between it seems these days --if you find one grab her up fast.

me ----my wife does NOT do outdoors -- too hot , too buggy , just not her "thing"
---however she knows --that I do the outdoors thing --hunting, fishing and metal detecting --and is vey supportive of my "hobbies*" ---so it works well for us.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I firmly believe in, My God first, then my wife, then family, hobbies are last. When I married back in '78, I understood that my new wife did not like being near the water in the dark, she does not enjoy swimming or being in the natural lakes or rivers, she will go into the water in a pool. We have no kids. Sure is fun trying after 33 years though :laughing7:. My wife understood my priorities, Church, her, family, hobbies :hello2:. While she does not stop me from going hunting, or fishing, we participate in church activities together. I told her to put requests on the calender on the wall in the kitchen, I will consult that before making hunting plans in advance. It does NO good to tell me your plans in advance, as my memory is very weak ::). I love it when she is out of town for a couple days visiting her family, That is the only time I can do what I want without repercussions:laughing7: HH all, see ya when spring gets here...........NGE

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife doesn't like to detect, but she has no problem with me going, it may have something to do with the diamond rings I found that I gave her.....If I tell her I am going detecting, she will say "find me something nice" and that is it.

I am lucky, my wife is different then a lot of wives or girlfriends, she will point out pretty women to me, if we are at the beach she will say "look at her, isn't her bikini tiny and sexy", or if we are out "look at her, she is so sexy in that short dress".

On top of this, the wife is beautiful and sexy so I have the best of both worlds...........The only bad part is if I want to go to somewhere special to detect I couldn't go with out her, she would be too hurt, she loves to travel.................Oh well, we can't always have our cake and eat it too................ :laughing7:

S

stefen

We came to an understanding very quickly...and. Cristina had some valid points...

I finally relented to her view points...after the swelling went down :laughing7:

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I bought my first detector the wife had a hissy fit,, I had told her my intentions but I guess she thought I was blowin smoke. After a little while she decided that I could pay for my detector with the things I have found, we happened to go to a store one day that sold detectors and I said I was thinkin about getting a new one so she said I could if I sold my old one ::)
Well I kept the old one anyway and now she goes with me using the old one about 1/2 the time lol. Now this has been a long hard training regimen and I suggest that you get to know the female first to see if she might be trainable, as some are recacatrent and obstinate :laughing7:.
Anyway about 7 years of training, good luck.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A lot of wives get jealous of that ol' detector. :whip2:

I've never had a problem with that, and likewise, my wife can pursue her hobbies anytime she wants. As long as we get to spend time with each other (which we do) were both happy.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
many women are often jelious of ANYTHING that takes away any of your time from their "control"-- once married a lot of women believe they "own" every minute of "their" mans life that is not spent at work "earning" a income for them to spend -- basically your their "surf' to do whatever they please with till you drop dead (remember the ---until death do you part "bit"?)

do this , do that , they boss , boss , boss you around non stop if you let them and make life a living hell unless you give in to them -- pity the poor hen pecked man who marries such a monster -- for divorce or death is his only escape .--and neither are pleasent.

however a properly chosen mate will not have these traits * so be very very careful in your choice of life mate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread