Does your family tease you about Metal Detecting?

kickback

Mar 11, 2004
South Dakota
I've only been metal detecting for less than a year.My Father used to ask me if I was "taking my wand out seeking my fortune"chuckle,chuckle.He teased me about only finding pennies and pulltabs at first.I've found 4 silver rings,some old silver dimes,quarters and nickels.I have a growing collection of Wheaties and my clad will buy me a new detector hopefully by the end of the summer.My Father doesn't tease me any more.He always asks "what did you find today?'.
Funny thing is he lived on the Treasure Coast in Florida for 25 years.We used to watch one of Mel Fishers boats work a wreck off the beach 600yds from his house(my Dad's)I used to watch detectorists hunt the beach in front of our house and I never got the bug until I moved back to Montana.Now I'm looking for proof of the 1715 Plate Fleet treasure being stashed in Montana(smile).I'm interested in if others get teased.

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
never been made fun of.but I was thought about by a friend when budweiser ran a radio
commercial "real men of genious" about m/ding.I never heard it but we laughed together
when he told me about it.friends and family love when I show them my treasure though.

scuffler

Jul 23, 2007
I am teased constantly, by family and coworkers, they say I am one of the men in shorts and black socks, with my metal detector. I am waiting for the day that I make a good find and then they wont be laughing. I will be laughing all the way to the bank.

bedpanmoneyman

Jun 17, 2007
Lebanon, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
When I took up this hobby several months ago, I also got teased by friends...telling me I've joined "those old men" out hunting around the parking lots. Well, I'm only 56, and I do it for the enjoyment of the hunt. And, there are alot of MDer's out there much younger than I that also enjoy this hobby as I've found out through this forum. :) :)

BPMM

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son mentioned to his in laws that I metal detected during a conversation. When I met them they asked about the hobby in a funny way thinking I was one of them dorks walking around with his tongue out while swinging a geiger counter on some school grounds. I produced pictures of some of my finds and underwater shots. They shut up and the funny looks are gone. Now my son tells me that they are always asking what is the latest thing I have found.

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
My family doesnt tease....they usually are the ones finding me new places to hunt because they are always telling people what I do. But I have several women friends and business associates who think I am nuts and cant figure out why I would rather be out digging or in the woods than sitting through a ladies luncheon.....shoot me. I have spent the last ten years of my life doing business meetings,dressing up in heels and doing lunch.I have been told recently that I am wasting my business talents by giving it all up. I personally think I just added extra stress free years to my life.
I am not a tomboy by any means ,but Lord I am so glad I sold my company and can now do as I please.

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My father was the one who got me interested in history in the first place, so when he started teasing me I told him that it was all his fault. My dad just bought his own Ace 250 over the weekend and when I visit him in NY this fall I look forward to some serious hunting.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
ah gypsyheart--- the "only" good purpose of money in the first place is to allow you "free time" to do what you want to do and "time" to spend in the company of those who you actually "enjoy" being around -- rather than spending time aound jerks just grinding out the dough to keep the wolf at bay --- that is the true worth of money --and oddly once you have enough of it to cover you basic normal needs for life ---the excess millions are just "window dressing" some folks even rich ones don't seem to "get that" --- Ivan

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
I dj, in a bar. The bartenders enjoy tossing quarters on the floor and going "beep beep", as they walk past them. Someday, I will find a cashe of gold coins and make them all pay, other than that, no not really at all.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I don't really get teased....but the kids I work with think I'm nuts....until I started showing them what I have found! Mostly clad, but a few pieces of jewelry lately...they are like "WOW You found that? That's so beautiful (or awesome)"

I tried to get them to come out with me one time...as I have an extra detector...always an excuse...oh well...I just tell them to make sure they wear all that pretty jewelry and stuff their pockets with change....so I will have something to find at the beach LOL!!!

My boss thinks it's neat and even let me detect her yard (which we will go back and do once the city is done with the deal with them. They are buying her home and land with a few others on her street for a rail system to be put into place. So, I'm keeping tabs through my boss on the sale and when I can get in there and really dig up the land!!!).

Gypsy....you are doing what YOU ENJOY doing....I'm far from a tomboy as well...but I feel so much more comfortable in a pair of blue jeans, a t-shirt and even barefoot (love running my feet through the sand or green grass!!) .... (but minus the pregnant and always in the kitchen part LOL)....

I'm not one of those girls who likes to sit around and chit chat about what so and so was doing or who cheated on who or what they just bought and trying to keep up with the Jones'...life is way too short...I love the simple things in life and if this gives me simple pleasure...then so be it!

Heck, I get heckled about digging up dead bones...why would I want to know something about someone that is already dead (comments from within my own family). I find genealogy exciting and interesting and truly want to know my roots!

So the two go hand in hand: Metal Detecting and Genealogy...the best of two worlds!!!!

Happy Hunting everyone!!!!!!!!!!
Annmarie

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
My family never really teased........they do ask me "Did you go on another mining trip?" when they see me walk through the door with my MD'ing gear. They all show interest in the coins and tokens I find. My co-workers don't make fun, but I'm sure they see it as a worthless hobby and probably wonder why anyone would take it up. Better for us that they think this way.

Spidey

Feb 20, 2007
Omaha
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
My stuck up brother-in-law asked the other day if I was one of those freaks that post on craigslist looking for places to hunt.

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Spidey said:
My stuck up brother-in-law asked the other day if I was one of those freaks that post on craigslist looking for places to hunt.

I would've told him yes and asked him if he's one of those freaks looking for random strangers on Craig's List to bang.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get teased incessantly. It is good natured and all in fun, so it's no biggie.

Imagine if you will, the old geezer at the beach. There he is, in his sandals and black socks, his too-large Bermuda shorts flapping in the sea breeze. He moves slowly, hunched over his little 'toy', picking up quarters and foil balls. These are his Golden Years, after all - let the world hurry by.
His bony arms poke out of his "I Love NY" t-top, while his tattered ball-cap proclaims his status as the "World's Greatest Grandpa." If you're lucky, you'll see him remove his teeth and stick his tongue out to frighten some bratty kid, before resuming his search.

THAT, my friends, his how the "straight" world see's detectorists - or as they refer to us, those "detector guys."

Is it any wonder we are the butt of a few jokes?

artemis moon

Jun 1, 2007
Near Bangor, Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ricardo_NY1 said:
Spidey said:

I would've told him yes and asked him if he's one of those freaks looking for random strangers on Craig's List to bang.

good answer Ricardo..God, I miss NY!! ;D

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
artemis moon said:
Ricardo_NY1 said:
Spidey said:

good answer Ricardo..God, I miss NY!! ;D

Thanks........besides the for sale ads, it's pretty much rush hour at all the casual encounter and hook-up parts of CL here in NYC.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
dahut said:
I get teased incessantly. It is good natured and all in fun, so it's no biggie.

Imagine if you will, the old geezer at the beach. There he is, in his sandals and black socks, his too-large Bermuda shorts flapping in the sea breeze. He moves slowly, hunched over his little 'toy', picking up quarters and foil balls. These are his Golden Years, after all - let the world hurry by.
His bony arms poke out of his "I Love NY" t-top, while his tattered ball-cap proclaims his status as the "World's Greatest Grandpa." If you're lucky, you'll see him remove his teeth and stick his tongue out to frighten some bratty kid, before resuming his search.

THAT, my friends, his how the "straight" world see's detectorists - or as they refer to us, those "detector guys."

Is it any wonder we are the butt of a few jokes?

And there ain't nothin' wrong with this picture....that "ol' geezer" worked his whole life, supported and raised his family, now he can sit back and enjoy the grandbabies and do something that is relaxing and even great exercise!!! If this is how folks want to see us...then so be it! I love what I do as a hobby and if they spent less time moaning and groaning about it and gave it a swing themselves, they just may find themselves the brunt of their jokes!!! :)

And that's a good idea too....I'll try that next time with the teeth...some kids get too busy around me...I'll pop out the ol' teefies and give them a scare!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...such the ol' biddy I am!!! :) (well, I can be at times!)

But the black socks and sandals...well, I prefer being bare-foot!

Happy Hunting All and if you enjoy it...that's all that matters....to heavens with what all others say :):):)
Annmarie

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nope....We're an Antique's Roadshow kinda Family......Thank God!!!

S

stefen

Does your family tease you about Metal Detecting?

None that are still living ;D

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take it easy Annmarie

...it was only a joke! Maybe some decaf is in order?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread