Does your family tease you about Metal Detecting?

oldplacesnofinds

May 8, 2007
Bucks County , PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum II Whites Spectrum

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
oldplacesnofinds said:
I let them know how much I "make" a month with my hobby.

We're the lucky few who are in the business/hobby of finding other people's money and jewelry. It costs us a whole pack of batteries.

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iam teased but i show them finds in TNET and they shutup ;D AA

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i come from a big family after the passing of a brother and sister i still have 4 brothers and one sister , they call me up sometimes and ask if i have been doing any geiger countering lately and ask what i find lol ;)

ScrewcapRoy

Jun 14, 2007
Weymouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Hello All. I really don't get teased. I have three children and my oldest is my bigget supporter. The other two look at my finds and say "that's nice". My wife on the other hand thinks my screws are loose, thus my name. She is constantly saying I am wasting my time going out with my detector thing. I can't wait to find the big one just to shut her the, well you know, up. Then she may see this hobby in a different light. I didn't answer the post on when I was hooked on MDing but I remember as a kid watching Lloyd Bridges as Mike Nelson in the TV show Sea Hunt. I couldn't afford a machine but did snorkel, beach comb, and turn over a few rocks. Was pretty good at surface finds and still am. Anyway, until I get the real BLING the misses won't leave me alone.
HH. Roy

B

boojagirl

No one ever teased me but when I started since my parents own my home they would get mad at me for digging holes in "their" yard, that was last summer, now days when I tell them about what I have found they don't seem to mind that I am digging up the yard.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Re: Take it easy Annmarie

dahut said:
...it was only a joke! Maybe some decaf is in order?

I took it as a joke...I thought it was funny as all get out!!!

And I always take it easy! ;)

Happy Hunting,
Annmarie

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
Ron and Ann said:
...some kids get too busy around me...I'll pop out the ol' teefies and give them a scare!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...such the ol' biddy I am!!! :) (well, I can be at times!)
Annmarie

:D :D lol :D :D
hold on to those teeth, Ann; ya don't want to lose them!
just scowl at the kids and tell them....go clean your room!
works every time ;)

I don't get teased by family + friends.......BUT.....that's not to say I haven't seen alot of their eyes roll ::)
I make sure I'm wearing bling, when peeps ask whatcha find....I just wave my hands at 'em ;)

Spidey

Feb 20, 2007
Omaha
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Ricardo_NY1 said:
Spidey said:
My stuck up brother-in-law asked the other day if I was one of those freaks that post on craigslist looking for places to hunt.

I would've told him yes and asked him if he's one of those freaks looking for random strangers on Craig's List to bang.

bwahahahahahahahahhahh

I'll have to remember that one.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't bother me to get teased about detecting. I just smile and plan my next trip. Everybody has something they do that makes others take notice. It is natural for all of us to poke fun when this happen.

Again, take a look at we TH'ers, decked out in our hunt regalia - baffling electronic intruments, various pouches, vests, GPS locators, cell phones, camoflage outfits, pinpointers, digging tools, detector slings and harnesses, critter repellents, headphones, sifters, goofy hats and all the sundry other doodads we bedeck ourselves with - man, we're talking a hoot! If any of us were concerned with what others thought of us, we'd find something else to occupy our time.

Most people, these days, are overly sensitive to everything that others have to think, do or say. If they even give us a glance or any minor notice, we spin around, glaring, and shout something like, "What are they looking at?!" You see it played out at traffic intersections all day long.
Such social habits have led us to demand a snappy comeback at every comment from others, so as to gain the upper hand. I try to avoid all that, and the only persons I feel the need to respond to anymore are the wiseacre kids or nosy/cranky adults at the beach - everyone else, I just smile.

I don't show them my finds, bore them with long historical dissertations or attempt to convince them that I am saving their heritage. That's a lot of claptrap, mostly for our own "feelgood" - the rest of the world rarely listens for longer than 10 seconds.

I do admit to taunting the pain-in-neck the folks at the beach, though. I tell them I have been retained by the city to monitor sewer effluent outfall and detecting is something I do to pass the time while running my checks. After a pregnant silence, this sinks in as they stare at me blank eyed - and I set the hook.
"By the way," I'll tell them, "just between us, of course, the outfall is particularly thick right here were you happen to be."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread