Dousing rods -- myth or do they work??

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
I f'ed up the spelling.. Dowsing rods :)

I have ran into so many people who use rods. I have never used them but an older miner gave me a pair. I'm gonna try them next trip. Can't hurt right.. My opinion is move as much dirt as possible but some people are BELIEVERS in the rods.. So i would love to know peoples opinions of this, and if u use them, do u have any tips for me?! Lol. Myth or is it real?!

Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's a myth but an experienced operator could find gold, water, oil etc. More like experienced intuition.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can and do find water lines....I do it all the time at work

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard from many who find water and sewer lines with them. I have never seen any find any gold, silver or treasure with them, and I have offered my pounds of silver to anyone who can walk to it and dig it up.

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Earlier this year I was hardrock mining with a guy who put allot of faith in Dowsing.. He swore up and down that Dowsing was the best way to sample areas for gold exspeacially mines.. When I left his operation in July not one single piece of fly poop was found by him dowsing nor did any of the places that he said were good gold deposits have any gold.. Dousing is for the Lazy and the crazy!! I would never waste my time in such a ridiculous way.. My absolute favorite is people who do it on maps. Anyway I have never seen it work ever! For me I will never again put any stock or time in anyone who takes dousing serious.. If I were you I would throw the rods away and get back to real prospecting!! But if you try the Rods and they don't work DON'T WORRY YOU STILL HAVE TAROT CARDS AND OUIJIA BOARDS TO TRY!!

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

WHO WOULD THOUGHT GOLD WOULD BE IN A HOLE IN THE BEDROCK!!!!! THANKGOD FOR DOUSING RODS!!

OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
Loving this feedback.. Mad M, I'm actually training a squirrel to find me nuggets. Then I'm going to start a circus with multiple squirrels and call it Cirque De Squirrele!

Well thanks for the info, I'm not a believer in them, where I go and mine it's all about how much material u can run without keeling over.

I do find interest in watching the people use them for a few minutes. Generally speaking I find interest in all ways of mining. We all / I, have seen some pretty crazy ideas out there to get the gold in vial eh... From little rods to small scale operations, I like it.

OP
OP
mellowyellow

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Common sense: If it really worked, wouldn't these "dowsers" all be rich by now? They can dows Maps, large plots of land etc.

Myth - For Gold, silver. open caverns etc.

True - For water, live tree branches could possibly move towards a water source in the ground.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...just to clarify,I do not beleive in it working for anything other than shallow water lines....I am not selling anything...it works,for that

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen it work. Pointed right to a nugget. This was when he was walking up the stream and the rods turned right to where to dig. I believe!

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most miners aren't getting rich off of conventional methods, either.

So, give it a try!
And if dowsing works for you, dear God, don't tell anyone about it! :laughing9:

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Over the 30 yrs that I've been building roads and bridges, I have seen them work. Where there is an underground pipe, cable, or flow of water, magnetic fields are affected, and rods work with an experienced operator.

I am skeptical of finding small gold with them, a very large chunk perhaps.

Map dowsing, in my opinion, is not possible. A picture, or drawing of an area is not enough. No disrespect to you map dowsers, but I'm highly skeptical.

bedrock bubba

Jun 27, 2010
Over the 30 yrs that I've been building roads and bridges, I have seen them work. Where there is an underground pipe, cable, or flow of water, magnetic fields are affected, and rods work with an experienced operator.

I am skeptical of finding small gold with them, a very large chunk perhaps.

Map dowsing, in my opinion, is not possible. A picture, or drawing of an area is not enough. No disrespect to you map dowsers, but I'm highly skeptical.

Dowsing only works for those who have the ability. And many do not have that ability.It is using the intuitional mind, is how it works for a good dowser. Which cannot be measured empirically in some scieince lab. I too was skeptical, until I actually started doing it. I did train under a gifted dowser, who located oil deposits for exploration firms, and others too.

And that ability varies a great deal between one person and another.
Finding buried water lines is the easiest. That's how I start trainees out. But finding gold is a whole other matter, because the technique is somewhat different than water dowsing.

Dowsing is not an exact science, because it is a mental ability. Its much like dolphins, bees, and other animals that have locating ability, we know is true, because they actually do it. In our brains, we have the pineal gland, which actually has magnetite in it, that senses location.

A few, gifted people can map dowse, like my old girlfreind. She pin pointed on a map, exactly where there was gold on a river nearby, after a major flood. The next day, I went out and found it using copper L rods. It was at the head of a new gravel bar, where there were 100's of white quartz pebbles, each having specs of gold in them. I dug out 3 buckets full of them, but I could not find a chrusher to extract the gold with.

Dowsing can be a hit or miss thing, as one can get false signals and technique is all important!
I have found other gold with it for friends, including an 8 dwt. nugget, and found two pea size nuggets and more myself. My problem, is, I have a perpetual bad back, and digging is always involved. Much gold is too deep to dig out, and many are too lazy to do so.

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Dad tells the story of my Grandfather in the 60's using dowsing rods to locate a water pipe on an acre or two lot that they owned in Hayward, Ca. As the story goes he walked right out to the middle of it, made my dad dig for a few mins and there was the water pipe.
So, I'd say yes, they "can" work.....to locate a water pipe :)

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seen them work on waterlines for sure....anything else I'm a skeptic....so if you have a bucket full of gold laced white pebbles...and can not crush them wouldn't you buy a crusher?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask Ray Elam who walked off with over $1 million from the Rucky Chuckies from a spot I dowsed-or the OC 49ers when Al Mahoney map dowsed at a public meeting,over 50+ folks, and 11 of us went,hiked in over 2 miles into the EFSG narrows,1/2 mile up a cliff and dug out over 6 ozs and brought to next meeting. NEED and not greed is the answer. For every time it works on gold there are 100 failures EXACTLY like mining,detecting and ALL other means of finding gold-not perfect. Much easier as noted above for pipes and water and such as GREED not there. I've had fun with it for many years and golf clubs work great too,not just L rods---but that is yet another story-John

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread