Draped Bust Half Dime

tim g

Mar 1, 2010
Hartsville, TN
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum / Fisher CZ-21 / Minelab Xterra 505 / White's Classic III / DetectorPro Pirate
First of all, let me introduce myself. My name is Tim Guthormsen and I live in Hartsville, TN. I have been metal detecting for about 8 yrs. Started out coin hunting, but have progressed into relic hunting. I am the current VP of the Middle Tennessee Metal Detecting Club in Nashville ( mtmdc.com ).

Alright, enough about me, let's get to the find. I met up with a couple fellow club members Saturday and we went to an old pioneer town in Mid TN along the Cumberland River. It was a site that had given up a few decent relics for us before, but nothing like what I was going to find. The last time we were there, I dug an 1833 Capped Bust Half Dime, so I started where I found that. After about 15 minutes into the hunt, I got a fairly good sounding signal, but it also sounded shallow. Most of these type of signals have been brass casings from WWII maneuvers that were held all over the site. I had also dug a couple nice flat buttons, so there wasn't a question that I was going to have to see what the target was. I dug a shallow plug (only about 3-4 inches deep) and the target was in it. When I broke the plug open, I was expecting to see another WWII blank, but instead I saw the glint of silver!! That got my heart pumping a little bit. I removed it from the plug and it didn't register right away what I had found. I was looking at the back of the coin and there was a funny looking, skinny bird on the back. Then it hit me and I realized that I had an early American coin!! Now I was REALLY excited!! I ran over to the guys I was hunting with before I even flipped it over to see the front of the coin. I lightly brushed the dirt off the front and saw that it was a 1797 Draped Bust Half Dime!!! This is the oldest, rarest (only 44,527 minted) and most valuable coin that I had ever found!! It wasn't in the greatest shape, but still the best coin find I have ever made. One of the guys I was hunting with found a 1782 Spanish 1 Reale about 20 feet from where I found my coins. This site has been really good to us, and there is still A LOT more ground to cover!! Happy Hunting everyone.

Tim Guthormsen

1797halfdimefront.jpg
1797halfdimeback.jpg

Upvote 0

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BANNER. BANNER. And don't hurt the chicken anymore. It's seen better days.
Hunt the dickens out of that site. Who knows what's waiting under the ground for you and your club. :thumbsup:

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Awesome find :thumbsup:

According to the Red Book that would grade as a G4 and books for $1100 :hello2:

Congrats and HH,
Brian

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking at that very coin in the red book yesterday ! Now it is on the T-net ! GREAT GREAT find !! A dream coin !! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: MaineRelic. I Know this is your first post but I hope it's not your last !! Welcome! Come back and see us soon !! MaineRelic. :thumbsup:

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Tim,
Welcome to TN. Congrats on the nice coin.
Dman

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are very generous, I would have said nothing to my mates until I had gridded the rest of the area, so as to get that Spanish as well.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 1797_half_dime_v04_obv.jpg
    1797_half_dime_v04_obv.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 1,704
  • 1797_half_dime_v02_3obv.jpg
    1797_half_dime_v02_3obv.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,696

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cal_Cobra said:

Congrats and HH,
Brian
This coin would grade as a "Poor-2", (or 1), and qualifier of "scratched" or "damaged". GREAT FIND. Congrats................Hogge

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW, thats the type of coin most of us americans dream about at night.

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice coin Tim. Welcome to Tnet. It's been a while since we used a lawnmower on that battlefield Bud. HH.
Note to Tnet Members-Tim is a veteran hunter that Dman and I have hunted with. If he posts it-he FOUND it in the ground!!!

OP
OP
tim g

tim g

Mar 1, 2010
Hartsville, TN
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum / Fisher CZ-21 / Minelab Xterra 505 / White's Classic III / DetectorPro Pirate

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tim, Congrats on that half cent . I found every kind but that one. #1 on my wish list Maybe someday. You should be proud !! Great find. :o

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
hogge said:
Cal_Cobra said:

Congrats and HH,
Brian
This coin would grade as a "Poor-2", (or 1), and qualifier of "scratched" or "damaged". GREAT FIND. Congrats................Hogge

A major congratulations on your superb find!
It may go upwards of an AG3 in terms of wear, but the Redbook lists values for coins in "problem-free" condition, so we should not use the Redbook as a valuation tool for dug coins. As Hogge said, there are some scratches/damage on it after being in the ground for 200 years. Usually eBay completed auction history would be a good indicator of value (need to find one with similar wear and damage), or even the Heritage auction archives. You may want to consider sending it to PCGS to get it into a “Geniune” holder, or even to NGC or ANACS. It can be a little expensive, but a find like that deserves some decent protection.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions