Draped Bust Half Dime

tim g

Mar 1, 2010
Hartsville, TN
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum / Fisher CZ-21 / Minelab Xterra 505 / White's Classic III / DetectorPro Pirate
First of all, let me introduce myself. My name is Tim Guthormsen and I live in Hartsville, TN. I have been metal detecting for about 8 yrs. Started out coin hunting, but have progressed into relic hunting. I am the current VP of the Middle Tennessee Metal Detecting Club in Nashville ( mtmdc.com ).

Alright, enough about me, let's get to the find. I met up with a couple fellow club members Saturday and we went to an old pioneer town in Mid TN along the Cumberland River. It was a site that had given up a few decent relics for us before, but nothing like what I was going to find. The last time we were there, I dug an 1833 Capped Bust Half Dime, so I started where I found that. After about 15 minutes into the hunt, I got a fairly good sounding signal, but it also sounded shallow. Most of these type of signals have been brass casings from WWII maneuvers that were held all over the site. I had also dug a couple nice flat buttons, so there wasn't a question that I was going to have to see what the target was. I dug a shallow plug (only about 3-4 inches deep) and the target was in it. When I broke the plug open, I was expecting to see another WWII blank, but instead I saw the glint of silver!! That got my heart pumping a little bit. I removed it from the plug and it didn't register right away what I had found. I was looking at the back of the coin and there was a funny looking, skinny bird on the back. Then it hit me and I realized that I had an early American coin!! Now I was REALLY excited!! I ran over to the guys I was hunting with before I even flipped it over to see the front of the coin. I lightly brushed the dirt off the front and saw that it was a 1797 Draped Bust Half Dime!!! This is the oldest, rarest (only 44,527 minted) and most valuable coin that I had ever found!! It wasn't in the greatest shape, but still the best coin find I have ever made. One of the guys I was hunting with found a 1782 Spanish 1 Reale about 20 feet from where I found my coins. This site has been really good to us, and there is still A LOT more ground to cover!! Happy Hunting everyone.

Tim Guthormsen

1797halfdimefront.jpg
1797halfdimeback.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
tim g

tim g

Mar 1, 2010
Hartsville, TN
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum / Fisher CZ-21 / Minelab Xterra 505 / White's Classic III / DetectorPro Pirate

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
tim g said:
Deno said:
Tim, that is the find of a lifetime. I wish they would change the rule
on the banner. That should be there for everone to see.

It's ok, rules are rules. I've sent a picture and write-up to American Digger Magazine and it should be published in an upcoming issue in the "Just Dug" section.
It stinks that this doesn't make the banner. They are the rules though. I hope to see you posting great find after great find in the future to make up for it. Welcome to tnet and just know that bounty towels stock just shot through the roof due to all the tnet members having to clean the drool off their keyboards. :headbang:
Chris

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Colonial Copper Zeus said:
tim g said:
Deno said:
Tim, that is the find of a lifetime. I wish they would change the rule
on the banner. That should be there for everone to see.

It's ok, rules are rules. I've sent a picture and write-up to American Digger Magazine and it should be published in an upcoming issue in the "Just Dug" section.
It stinks that this doesn't make the banner. They are the rules though. I hope to see you posting great find after great find in the future to make up for it. Welcome to tnet and just know that bounty towels stock just shot through the roof due to all the tnet members having to clean the drool off their keyboards. :headbang:
Chris

I agree, rules are rules. The thing I don't understand is there's nothing to gain .... no prizes for making the banner, so what would be wrong with someone making their first post with a great find and making the banner? It's all good to me and I just can't see the harm in it. I'll have to read over the rule, but if they can make 6 posts saying hello to people, then post their find and make the banner, that doesn't make sense to me. Anyway, the post is on, that's the main thing. :thumbsup:

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
BuckleBoy said:
KylePA said:
A buddy of mine who used to reside in Upstate NY dug an Extra Fine 1797 a few years ago. Great find!

Yeah? Well, my Dad is stronger than your Dad.

::) ::) ::)

Once again, KILLER find on the 1797 half dime. My comment was not meant to be stated in a negative manner. I'm sorry that a bad seed had to throw the post off-track.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o :o nice coin!!!!!!!!!!!! MR TUFF

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Congrats on that find. Draped bust silver is awesome no matter what!

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something to be very proud of! Big congrats!! :icon_thumright:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KyFreeBird said:
:hello2: :hello2: :icon_thumright:

Congradulations !!!!!!!!!!!!! Great Coin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
excellent job

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
While I myself would like to make a banner find someday (and I really would!)...the find is the real trophy. The best you can do with a banner find is send someone a link and garner some bragging rights to that at the same time. Having a piece of American history in your hand that is real and tangible? Like the trite ad says: Priceless!

Dig a little more. Maybe some other treats will come to the surface. Share those as well!

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
One of these years, I think KKC will get an early American silver. It isn't a matter of when, but a matter of who/how? :headbang:

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum. Hit that site until it begs you to quit.

Kirk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread