Draped dime help

Brink23

Greenie
Jul 7, 2006
hampton roads, Virginia
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer II
Good morning, all and Happy turkey day!
i have been a member of this site for years and this is my first post. While I have found many nice coins, this is probably my best so I had to share with you gals and guys. Ill make the story short and sweet. My buddy and I finally got permission to hunt about 400 acres of farm. House was built in the early 1700`s and a Civil war camp (confederate) is in one of the fields we cant hunt yet (still soybeans). So there we are, 1st day and found the usual mini-balls and a few civ. buttons when I hit a strange, broken sound (explorer II) in the range of a button. I dug a shotgun shell about 12" down. So after I covered the hole, I swung over the hole again and there it was. In the same hole. 1801 draped bust. I have much older coins (even spanish) but this is by far my best coin. Anyone have any input on the grade?
I always look at everyones postings here and enjoy every story. Hope have enjoyed mine. Ill be sending it off soon....

Attachments

• DSCF0592.JPG
    DSCF0592.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 2,656
  • DSCF0593.JPG
    DSCF0593.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 2,627
  • DSCF0592.JPG
    DSCF0592.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 2,651
  • DSCF0593.JPG
    DSCF0593.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 2,627
Upvote 0

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Brink23 said:
creeper71 said:
DO NOT CLEAN ..YOU'LL MAKE A 6000.00 COIN A 75.00 COIN IF YOUR LUCKY TO GET 75.00

LOL....I know better.....
Just making sure you knew that! I personally never sent a coin in to be graded ..Hopefully someone else can help ya out... Just weight the companies they recommend an then do a lil research on them all before you blindly send your coin to a grading company

OP
OP
B

Brink23

Greenie
Jul 7, 2006
hampton roads, Virginia
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer II
creeper71 said:
Brink23 said:
creeper71 said:
DO NOT CLEAN ..YOU'LL MAKE A 6000.00 COIN A 75.00 COIN IF YOUR LUCKY TO GET 75.00

Just making sure you knew that! I personally never sent a coin in to be graded ..Hopefully someone else can help ya out... Just weight the companies they recommend an then do a lil research on them all before you blindly send your coin to a grading company
It is quite scarry sending her away....can u say "mail Insurance"

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Brink23 said:
creeper71 said:
Brink23 said:
creeper71 said:

It is quite scarry sending her away....can u say "mail Insurance"
exactly with tracking an signing confirmed delivery

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a super find, would love to get an early dime or half dime like that. I have the photograde book on hand, and a bit hard to tell on your details, but it appears to match somewhere between VG8 and Fine12. No idea on value, I do know of others who have sent their silver dimes or half dimes in for slabbing and despite them never cleaning them, they came back "Improperly Cleaned" go figure.

I would not worry too much if you do mail in, follow instructions on the websites of the company. Usually most coins just go first class mail, put in a little envelope, wrapped in tissue or something similiar and I have shipped back in forth between friends before using a standard sized bubble wrap enevlope. Insurance is your option, not really necessary, but to make you feel better and the USPS feel richer, if you do insure, do not go too high, not worth the money to do so and not worth the effort if lost to try and collect that amount. I would insure it for a small amount in your case, but check USPS rates.

Again, super find, early silver is soooo pretty.

Don

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great find, I would have probably passed out next to the hole I dug. I always tell my wife that one find could pay off the detector.

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would "gobble" that one up for sure. What a coin! Dang, can't wait to unearth a dime like that!

kieser sousa/rip

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
upstate N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz-20/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome coin ! Congrats ! I'm going to find onea them one day........I just know it..............well mabey........... I hope.

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Wow that's a great coin, thanks for sharing. I hunt down here near Hampton Roads as well, and it's killing me thinking about what I may be missing depth wise with my current detector. Going to have to hit the same fields when I can finally pony up for a new minelab.

Congrats on a great find.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah, Banner for sure! :icon_thumright: (even if it knocks my half dime off the lineup ::) ;D :laughing9: )

Great find!!!! :hello2: :hello2: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Mar 19, 2003
Summerfield Fla.
Detector(s) used
XSII,Excalibur,Ace 250,Shadow X-5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a beauty there and love the early silver,I never found bust silver :dontknow:
But many other coins I love just as much ;D
Im with a few others here on the F12 grade and add corroded or they may say Enviromentaly Damaged ;D

Beautiful silver there tho congrats :icon_thumright:

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI
With the better pix, I might have to up that grade to almost a vf20. super find. If this doesn't go baanner something is wrong.

Les

OP
OP
B

Brink23

Greenie
Jul 7, 2006
hampton roads, Virginia
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer II
Brink23 said:
Good morning, all and Happy turkey day!
i have been a member of this site for years and this is my first post. While I have found many nice coins, this is probably my best so I had to share with you gals and guys. Ill make the story short and sweet. My buddy and I finally got permission to hunt about 400 acres of farm. House was built in the early 1700`s and a Civil war camp (confederate) is in one of the fields we cant hunt yet (still soybeans). So there we are, 1st day and found the usual mini-balls and a few civ. buttons when I hit a strange, broken sound (explorer II) in the range of a button. I dug a shotgun shell about 12" down. So after I covered the hole, I swung over the hole again and there it was. In the same hole. 1801 draped bust. I have much older coins (even spanish) but this is by far my best coin. Anyone have any input on the grade?
I always look at everyones postings here and enjoy every story. Hope have enjoyed mine. Ill be sending it off soon....
Love reading all of your feedback....Than you so much! It took some time for me to actually post something. I think I will start posting many things.....Thanks again....
DIG EVERYTHING!

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice find, Thanks for sharing....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread