Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• il_fullxfull_215431570.jpg
    il_fullxfull_215431570.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 727
Upvote 0
Everybody calls them "holed" coins, but I think the numismatic term is "pierced".

I was thinking of building a type set of holed coins, but some of the modern issues would be hard. I did find a holed 1964 nickel just the other day.

I am sure you know that some of the older coins were holed to be sewn into clothing so they wouldn't be lost.

Oh, I would be willing to supply you with New holed coin for a slight premium. :tongue3: :laughing7:

I've seen some 1970s Halves that had a hole in them. I hear people put the hole there and tied a string through it to try to pull it out of a vending machine after it took the coin.

Historically, old 1800 coins were sometimes holed by Confederate soldiers and given to their
wives or girlfriends to wear as a good luck charm when they went off to fight in the civil war.
If they were initialed they are sometimes called "love tokens". A lot of history in them.
rileyboy

I stick em with my lesser quality coins when i trade em in. Note that i stay away from the dealers who weigh coins when im selling tho they are good for when im buying.

My Original Post Was a Joke,Sorry For the Confusion

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back