Dug a Couple Keepers Today, Boy It's Been a While.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Went back to my honey hole today and made a point to take the Deus out for a while instead of my ole faithful F75 LTD2. :thumbsup: I started in zero disc, full tones and after about 30 minutes of digging mostly trash I decided to run my disc up to 85. The site is about 3 to 4 acres and I have been hunting it for 3 years now so it's been pretty much gridded in 2 directions. I hit a few of the dryer areas since much of the ground is saturated from the melted snow and rain. I was on auto pilot moving from West to East, nothing but a few pieces of clad and some bottle caps on the first meandering route. I then decided to get up near a building and got my 1st good target on the 6th grid line. It was the small silver ring. Soon after I dug a small pocket spill and then the two wheats came from under a pine tree. I went back into autopilot mode just hoping I'd pull a silver Rosie at least. Ten minutes later I got a deep target, dug down between 8 & 9 inches and out came the green beauty. :headbang: An 1864 2 cent coin. My 2nd ever and it was also an 1864.

The 2 Cent Coin

20170212_151531.jpg

All of Today's Keepers

20170212_151503.jpg

All Today's finds (less trash)

20170212_151123.jpg

Yesterdays Finds

20170211_172307.jpg

As always, I hope ya'll got out and swung the coil :metaldetector: today

GL & HH

Upvote 46
OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great looking coin! I have yet to dig one of those but this may be the year

Thanks, Mifarmer How far from Toledo are you?

Great job LD! Love the 2 cent pc. Much better shape than mine. Glad you got out and plowed some ground.

HH, RN

Thanks rn, I've had the pleasure to hunt 8 days so far this mild winter. Really rather not get a new permission this time of year, so I have been swinging the coil at some public lands. Really looking forward to spring and some good permissions in town and a few old farms.

What a fantastic day you had....Congrats!!!

Thanks kingskid, this time of year I snag a good find or 2 each month.

Great finds. Looks like i wont get out for a long time. Huge snow storm coming tomorrow on top of whats already down!

Thanks KIDDO, I know your pain. We've had some weeks of frozen ground. I just had to take advantage of the thawed ground. The wife has her crafts and I do my detecting.

Glad you were able to get out and I'd say you had a fantastic day! Congrats!

Thanks SD51. That green color always perks me up and gives me a smile, same as silver.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome.....that two cents would have made my day for sure! And it looks like I see a fully worded motto.Usually the (we) is worn smoother. Great score:thumbsup:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice 2C...

Want my two cents? I think it's awesome you're nailing keepers in February

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would love to find one of those.

Congrats!

Thanks Recoil, I was blessed to dig one back in 2015. Keep swinging the coil, this was likely dropped when the piece of ground was a plowed field back in the 1800s.

Looks like a good day to me! That coin is in great condition.

Thanks WarBaby, It got windy and cold throughout the day, but when you gotta detect, ya just gotta detect. Sometimes it pays off.

Fantastic strategy to get those goodies! Love the 2-cent piece, congratulations! :occasion14:

Thanks Doc, my secret autopilot scored again... and again... I felt like a noob trying to get used to another machine. I think the next time I take it there, I will run in 4khz with zero to 11 disc. The 4khz target IDs are more like the Fisher TIDs.

For some reason, the 2 cent piece is one of my favorite coins!

Congrats!

Thanks Whadi I like the way they look to. The coin on top of my 2017 Ohio hit list is a trime. Another seated would also be a welcomed find.

Just a very cool coin, Loco, congrats! But I am always partial to those lovely silver bands, and am glad that you found another good one! Sub 8-)

Thanks Sub, bling to coins for 2017 the score is 2 & 2. Two silver rings and 2 keeper. Wheats keep me from being skunked, but if it's not a 1943 copper or a vdb they are not considered keepers.

356rmb

Jan 16, 2017
NEPA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT/MAX, APEX, ACE 350 WITH A DD COIL,TEKNETICS DELTA 4000,
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow what a great find you have two from 1864 sounds like a good pick 4 no#. you never know. well good luck and great to see you out enjoying the day.
thanks for sharing. RICH

neodetectorist

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2016
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro W Stock coil, Fisher F2 W 8" Concentric and 9.5" NEL DD, XPointer pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That would have been a "10" day for me Loco.
Nice hunt.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Killer 2 cent coin Loco. I've always wanted to dig one of those. They seem to come out of the dirt in such great condition.

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats Kevin glad to see you got out!!! I went out for a few hours 38 degrees works for me. Great coin for your display case nice ring too!!!!! Ive been in a silver rutt for a while I did find a 10k class ring a few weeks ago Thanks for the post!!!!!

Thanks Tommy, You can dress for 38 degrees, :icon_thumright: As long as the ground ain't froze, I'm swinging the coil on the weekends. We are gonna have to hunt together this season. When it comes to silver coins, I dug my only one on Jan 1st, two silver rings so far, and now the 2 center. My site selections this time of year reduces my chances of pulling many keepers per hunt since I have hunted these places many times before.

Very sweet 2-center- Congrats!!

-- Jeff --

Thanks Jeff

ya know on the way west I think people dropped all the good stuff before they got to indiana

Now now Jeff, this was probably dropped by a farmer since this site was part of a plowed field as part of a farm, back in the mid 1800s. Do you ever hunt fields?

Great condition Awesome coin Congrats

Thanks Relicfic

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice hunt, my friend. I have yet to find a 2 cent piece.

Thanks Johncoho there's one out there waiting for you to dig it.

Great looking Coin....

thanks bilt46

Glad you were able to get out and find those keepers congrats

Thanks Art, I enjoy seeing your posts.

Hello LD. Very nice finds...add a couple of wheats, a silver ring, and it looks like you scored a cub scout item too...GOOD HUNT!

Still looking for my 1st 2-center. Good Luck. C9

Thanks C9 the scout slide was dug yesterday, I have quite a collection of them.

Lovely 2 Center! That one still eludes me! :icon_thumright:
Nice ring too.

Thanks Wildcat

2moshers

Dec 23, 2014
Pemberton, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds Loco.. Glad you were able to get out. I also found an 1864 2 center when I first started detecting. It was not under the dining room floor. lol However it was close by in my front yard.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a Great day!! Still looking to scratch a 2 center off my bucket list. Here you have two and this one looks to be in great shape.
Nice ring too and pulling wheats is always fun.
Congrats!!

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats! Keepers, lets see what do they look like...Fifteen bottle caps n a row today:BangHead:

I dug a my share of bottle caps today. Still a noob with the Deus.

Awesome.....that two cents would have made my day for sure! And it looks like I see a fully worded motto.Usually the (we) is worn smoother. Great score:thumbsup:

Thanks vn, wish it was of the small motto variety.
Very nice 2C...

Want my two cents? I think it's awesome you're nailing keepers in February

Thanks scrappy, practicing with the deus for when I come east. I never get tired of digging old coins.

Great finds Loco!

Thanks beerguy :occasion14:

That's a nice looking 2 center. How come you didn't show the other side?

Thanks rd, I posted the other side on a reply to you earlier.

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow what a great find you have two from 1864 sounds like a good pick 4 no#. you never know. well good luck and great to see you out enjoying the day.
thanks for sharing. RICH

Thanks Rich I'll have to try that tomorrow.

That would have been a "10" day for me Loco.
Nice hunt.

Thanks neohdet This one was a shock, the oldest coin dug there prior was an 1894 Barber quarter.

Killer 2 cent coin Loco. I've always wanted to dig one of those. They seem to come out of the dirt in such great condition.

Thanks ODA, both came out green with some detail here in Ohio, You have dug so many awesome finds that remain on my bucket list.:notworthy:

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds Loco.. Glad you were able to get out. I also found an 1864 2 center when I first started detecting. It was not under the dining room floor. lol However it was close by in my front yard.

Thanks 2m, I wouldn't be surprised to see you pull a few coins out of the crawl space.

That's a Great day!! Still looking to scratch a 2 center off my bucket list. Here you have two and this one looks to be in great shape.
Nice ring too and pulling wheats is always fun.
Congrats!!

Thanks deershed, it only takes one wheat to keep from being skunked. hope you dig one soon.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Loco!

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, Loco-Digger!! Good to see you on the board with quality keepers, again!!
That 2 center looks to be in fairly good condition.........and the silver ring has to be as good as a Rosie!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread