SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Dug a huge pile of coins, tokens and buttons from a more recent era yesterday

I got out yesterday with my good friend Reid to hit a site that I had researched over the summer. There was supposedly a 1700s site in the right front corner of the field just waiting for us to hunt, and I was focused on continuing my hot streak and putting more colonial silver in my pouch. However, after spending 20-30 min in that spot and not finding the iron patch, or anything else for that matter, we started roaming further into the field. I made a few random finds including a flat button, musketball, an IH, and finally a barber quarter, but could never find the house site. In the meantime I noticed that Reid had settled into a spot about 100 yards behind where the colonial house site was supposed to be. I eventually made my way over there and discovered he was digging lots of coins and tokens from the 1800s. So I joined him and we hunkered down in that area for the next 2-3 hours. Good sounding signals were everywhere although they were mixed in with a bit of iron. It was a relatively difficult area to hunt as the soybean stalks were high, the area was in the shade and quite wet in spots, and the dirt was uncharacteristically thick and sticky which is unusual for this county. In spite of those conditions we ended up with close to 50 keepers each. The most common finds were some kind of store token. Most of them had “R.H.C.” on one side, and “S.B.P.C. & M. Co” on the other. I also found one labeled as “B.P.F. & O. Co” with a “4”. Did some searching but didn’t have any luck with an ID, but they’re probably some kind of locally produced token. We’re thinking this must have been the site of a store that may have existed at this location from the mid-1800s into the very early 1900s as nothing after that time frame was found, although some of the flat buttons found mixed in preceeded this time period. Quite a few coins were found as well, and most were IHs and nickels although I dug my 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] barber quarter of the day at this spot. Unfortunately, the soil and fertilizer action took a toll on all the finds, and I doubt I’ll be able to do much more with them than what’s shown in the pics. We definitely plan to return to the site soon and slowly expand our search radius. And maybe find that mystery colonial site while we’re at it …..

Attachments

• 022113a.JPG
    022113a.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 471
  • 022113b.JPG
    022113b.JPG
    264.1 KB · Views: 494
  • 022113c.JPG
    022113c.JPG
    240.8 KB · Views: 607
  • 022113d.JPG
    022113d.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 509
Last edited:
Upvote 18

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its nice when all that research comes threw.Awesome finds.Like those tokens.way to go buddy.

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very nice finds bill congrats

granthansen

Bronze Member
May 16, 2012
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Ace 350, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude... you're killing it!

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds, I'd call that a honey hole.

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
Wow Bill. I know you're looking for the earlier stuff, but that's a fun area there for sure. A great place to find a Flying Eagle.

How are those IH's under the crust?

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow awesome haul of coins, congrats!!!

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow Bill. I know you're looking for the earlier stuff, but that's a fun area there for sure. A great place to find a Flying Eagle.

How are those IH's under the crust?

That's 10 IHs in the lower right, and 4 V nickels just above those.

ret-detector

Feb 20, 2013
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These are the kinds of posts that really make it exciting to newbies...keep on posting!

woody_g

Mar 5, 2006
SPRINGTOWN TX
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 1000
wow your research really paid off for you.i wouldn't be able to sleep until i got back out to hunt that area again congrats on a great day of digging

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff, Bill! Anyone would love to have a day like that. Love the silver, tokens and that ball button!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all of those tokens and being close to the road, it has to be a store site. I'm surprised none of your topos show it. Great job.

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job!! Your killing it this year!

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
No Spanish Silver?? Just kidding Bill. Nice recoveries. Barber quarters are tough to find and with that quantity of keepers it must have been a lot of fun. Good luck tomorrow.
-Evan

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, days like that awesome!

The Sanddigger

Nov 15, 2012
Tidewater VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Garrett AT Pro
Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver and great Zouave ball button! Cool items!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread