SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Dug a huge pile of coins, tokens and buttons from a more recent era yesterday

I got out yesterday with my good friend Reid to hit a site that I had researched over the summer. There was supposedly a 1700s site in the right front corner of the field just waiting for us to hunt, and I was focused on continuing my hot streak and putting more colonial silver in my pouch. However, after spending 20-30 min in that spot and not finding the iron patch, or anything else for that matter, we started roaming further into the field. I made a few random finds including a flat button, musketball, an IH, and finally a barber quarter, but could never find the house site. In the meantime I noticed that Reid had settled into a spot about 100 yards behind where the colonial house site was supposed to be. I eventually made my way over there and discovered he was digging lots of coins and tokens from the 1800s. So I joined him and we hunkered down in that area for the next 2-3 hours. Good sounding signals were everywhere although they were mixed in with a bit of iron. It was a relatively difficult area to hunt as the soybean stalks were high, the area was in the shade and quite wet in spots, and the dirt was uncharacteristically thick and sticky which is unusual for this county. In spite of those conditions we ended up with close to 50 keepers each. The most common finds were some kind of store token. Most of them had “R.H.C.” on one side, and “S.B.P.C. & M. Co” on the other. I also found one labeled as “B.P.F. & O. Co” with a “4”. Did some searching but didn’t have any luck with an ID, but they’re probably some kind of locally produced token. We’re thinking this must have been the site of a store that may have existed at this location from the mid-1800s into the very early 1900s as nothing after that time frame was found, although some of the flat buttons found mixed in preceeded this time period. Quite a few coins were found as well, and most were IHs and nickels although I dug my 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] barber quarter of the day at this spot. Unfortunately, the soil and fertilizer action took a toll on all the finds, and I doubt I’ll be able to do much more with them than what’s shown in the pics. We definitely plan to return to the site soon and slowly expand our search radius. And maybe find that mystery colonial site while we’re at it …..

Attachments

• 022113a.JPG
    022113a.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 471
  • 022113b.JPG
    022113b.JPG
    264.1 KB · Views: 494
  • 022113c.JPG
    022113c.JPG
    240.8 KB · Views: 607
  • 022113d.JPG
    022113d.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 509
Last edited:
Upvote 18

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow you racked up! I even like the lowly coat weights,very cool.

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds Bill. Which machine were you using?

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great. Makes me want to keep learning my T2.

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score Bill ! You always amaze me with your finds !

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like some fun digging there Bill even if it's not colonial or civil war.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread