DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: BESIDES M D DOES ANYONE GARBAGE PICK OR DUMPSTER DIVE FOR TREASURES new pics

great stories all LETS KEEP THIS POST ROLLING . My latest curbside find a working weed eater. Beautiful hall mirror with 4 mirrors in it and 4 hat or coat hooks..No scratches and its black . 3 boxes of picture frames. 3 of them are 6x3 bubble dome type frames. old chairs and a lot of misc kitchen stuff.. BIG GARAGE SALE coming up for me in a few weeks.....

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: BESIDES M D DOES ANYONE GARBAGE PICK OR DUMPSTER DIVE FOR TREASURES new pics

A Big two thumbs up for the stories.................................... :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Attachments

• THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 13,283
  • THUMBS UP.gif
    THUMBS UP.gif
    30.5 KB · Views: 13,253

johntate

Oct 19, 2005
NW AR
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2

Great stories so far. I'll add my story to the mix. Twenty-five years ago I took my six year old over to a playmate's house. The dad came out to meet us and after a few minutes of conversation, asked me to help him haul some junk around for the trash pick-up (he was renting and the previous renters had left some stuff piled up against the back of the house the previous winter ). When I saw what he had, I was quite happy to take this mahogony hall tree off his hands. Once home, while cleaning it I took the mirror out. Behind the mirror was a newspaper cut out to match the shape of the mirror and used for backing. It was the Pittsburgh Evening Chronicle, dated Wednesday evening, December 20, 1871.

halltree3.jpg

Spitfire Reddie

Bronze Member
Jul 29, 2006
NC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2

I don't dive but i have been known to stop at a junk pile or two got TWO ART DECO chandeliers someone threw out !

sfinder

Jun 25, 2006
Fort Dodge, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Prizm V and DD Coil

At the radio station where I was a weekend DJ I used to get into the dumpster to pull out all the 45 rpm and record albums they got in the mail but didn't want. I still have 'em.

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

Oooh, that reminds me of nice find from a job I was at a few years ago... I saw the maintenance guys chucking some of the equipment we no longer used. I grabbed a high speed packing-tape dispenser (Betterpack 555) and wish I'd grabbed more. (but the other stuff didn't seem to be as heavy duty as this one). I got $260 for it on eBay.

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Love that hall mirror. It is truly amazing the stuff people throw out.. We live in a throw away society.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

last weeks treasure day grab
a working 50 inch TV - remote gave to my neighbor
12 sterling silver spoons a few(4 maybe 5) are pure sterling not plated (one dated 1825 !/?)
HI HO SILVER AWAYYYYYYY
and a BRAND NEW leaf blower no marks scratches nothing
they didnt mix gas and oil so they tossed it(would run for 30 seconds then crap out)
all i did was toss some 2 cycle in it and it runs like a champ ;D

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE

well....you wanted me to write a book myself maybe? i came from a not rich fam in a rich area.a sure receipe for junking.i been lookin in the junk almost since i was born. my grampa owned an industrial business that had its own fillin type of dump there. sis n i quickly gave up on trying the lemonade stand thing for a few bux. when we got over 80 dollars [1967] salvaging the copper and brass out of his dump on our first try.people are always lookin for a place to git rid of stuff for free and he let his employees dump there too.i cannot tell you all we found.the next memrable junk find i remember we were out near an area that had a lot of forest preserves. dad pulled over we saw about 6 or 8 burlap type bags laying in the ditch.turned out to be real old cool stuff [this 1969] i remember a tin clown bank as my fav find from this.sold it at a garage sale a few yrs later cant rem how much.big collection of vintage marbles including hand made ones and some cartoon charchter type from the 30s. also a very early monopoly game.with the different type money and metal pieces.wow we were excited.all this before i got my first car!!!! i have gotten almost everything i have either from the garbage ,garage sales,or thrift stores.i buy very little from stores.no tax at the dumpster either.oh yeah how much is the tax on nothing?mucho free food also .ALL SEALED!!! IM NOT STUPID. the biggest bonanza however are the junk cleanup or trash amnesty type days.someone already mentioned these before.yes you can find so much there.hey here is a thought.MAYBE AS A TREASURE HUNTING COMMUNITY WE HERE AT TREASURE NET COULD HAVE A SPACE TO POST DATES AND TIMES FOR KNOWN MUNICIPAL SPECIAL CLEANUP DAYS, AND DUMPS THAT DO ALLOW YOU TO LOOK AND TAKE WHAT YOU WANT.SOME COMMUNITIES READILY TELL WHEN THESE SPECIAL TRASH AMNESTY OR CLEANUP DAYS TAKE PLACE.HOWEVER A GROWING NUMBER OF TOWNS TRY TO BE REAL SECRETIVE ABOUT WHEN SUCH EVENTS TAKE PLACE.THEY DONT WANT THE EXTRA TRAFFIC AND NOISE THAT COMES FROM PEOPLE GRABBIN STUFF.FOOLISH.ANYTHING RESCUED HELPS SAVE THE EARTH AND I BET YOU COULD GO TO THE PUBLIC LIBRARY THERE AND THERE WOULD BE SOME FORM OF LITERATURE THERE TELLING YOU HOW EARTH FRIENDLY SAID TOWN IS.YEAH RIGHT! LET ME KNOW IF ANYONE THINKS THIS IS A GOOD IDEA.IM NEW HERE SO MAYBE A MORE SENIOR MEMBER MIGHT WANT TO TAKE this idea TO THE ADMISTRATOR OF THIS SITE.bye for now gotta go read more exciting treasure stories...keep looking you never know what youll find.PS .NEVER MAKE A MESS WHIN PICKIN TRASH THATS WHAT GETS PEOPLE SORE!!! WEAR GLOVES AN WATCH OUT FOR YELLOW JACKET WASPS[ESP THIS TIME OF YEAR!!!

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland

When I was in collgege, I excavated an old dump from the early 1900's with a friend of mine. We found some old toys, bottles, etc. Nothing too valuable or exciting.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

so y bother posting DJ :D ;D ;) busting chops buddy ;)

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i saw a move out in my neighbor hood so i checked it and and retrieved $260 in ACTIVE Best Buy gift cards. another hunt gave up 2 canadians coins, both one penny - one 1826 and one 1896. go figure.....

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

as soon as i find my digicam i will post my curb-side coin op finds...... and i dont want to see any of u passing a detector over a garbage bag... thats my patented move.....

S

swampghost

ewww taking furniture and boxes is one thing but digging thruogh trash bags at this time of year= maggoty wurms. woman who divorced her husband had thrown out his 1200$ weight bench and a bunch of guns including, a remington 870 wngmaster pump 12G, , a colt python 357 revolver in a padded case, and four others. a tackle box
fully loaded i might add, and four nice rods and reels all tossed on the curb. the woman offered me his pontoon boat for 300$ but i declined not having a large truck to haul it with. the moral of this story is listen to your neighbors when they argue.

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro

When I was a kid (early 70's) used to dive for Playboys and whatever behind the local SuperX drug store and Safeway, once I'd just picked up a .10$ bag of balloons when this asshole grabs me and accuses me of shoplifting them, I can't remember if I was even in the store that day, but anyway it was total BS and they eventually let me go. So I guess you all should be careful not to shop and dive or vice versa.

DJ_Quinn

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2005
Southeastern Ireland

wwace said:
When I was a kid (early 70's) used to dive for Playboys and whatever behind the local SuperX drug store and Safeway, once I'd just picked up a .10$ bag of balloons when this #@!$%#@! grabs me and accuses me of shoplifting them, I can't remember if I was even in the store that day, but anyway it was total BS and they eventually let me go. So I guess you all should be careful not to shop and dive or vice versa.

At least they didn't confiscate the Playboy magazines. ;D

MSgtUSAF

Mar 8, 2006

Don't dive in STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, Colo, 2 guys got 6 months each for taking vegetables from a dumpster there. They were trespassing but a Felony theft charge for taking trash from the dumpster is a little over the top.

STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, Colo. -- An owner of a Steamboat Springs produce store said six months in jail is too harsh for two men who plucked discarded fruit and vegetables from the store's trash this summer.

Giles Charley, 24, of New Hampshire and 27-year-old David Sillier of Pennsylvania admit they jumped the fence at Jonathon Hieb's Sweet Pea Produce on July 26, but only because other stores in town were closed.

By pleading guilty to misdemeanor trespassing and agreeing to spend six months in the Routt County Jail, the men avoid a felony conviction.

Hieb told the Steamboat Pilot & Today newspaper Saturday the most the pair should have gotten was 20 hours of community service. Hieb said he didn't want them prosecuted at all.

Charley and Sillier were on their way to the summer gathering of the Rainbow Family in a forest north of Steamboat Springs when they picked overripe apricots, cucumbers and asparagus from a locked trash area at Sweet Pea.

They said they would have bought food, but everything was closed when they rolled into town.

Charley's mother, Shaine McCarthy Charley, told the newspaper she was "absolutely flabbergasted" by the six-month jail sentence.

wannadanc

Aug 30, 2006
Wettern WA State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505

Monty said:
On the lighter side....There are several people who scour the neighborhoods for thrown out articles on trash pickup day. They are the ones who have perpetual garage sales out of their homes and tie up traffic for two blocks. Most of the time they ask if they can have something but others just come by after dark and take things. After my son visited me one week end with his large dog, I spent Sunday late evening scooping dog poop....a lot of dog poop! Monday morning was trash pickup day. I sat the bag out by the curb and that night and one of the vultures stole my bag of dog poop! My wife and I still laugh about it when we think about the look on their faces when they opened their ill gotten bag of "goodies"! :D Monty

This reminds me of the story of the person who didn't want to have to pay to dispose of his defunct TV, so he put it into the back of his open bed pickup and then went to the mall. When he came out, the TV was "gone", as he hoped!

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wannadanc said:
Monty said:
On the lighter side....There are several people who scour the neighborhoods for thrown out articles on trash pickup day. They are the ones who have perpetual garage sales out of their homes and tie up traffic for two blocks. Most of the time they ask if they can have something but others just come by after dark and take things. After my son visited me one week end with his large dog, I spent Sunday late evening scooping dog poop....a lot of dog poop! Monday morning was trash pickup day. I sat the bag out by the curb and that night and one of the vultures stole my bag of dog poop! My wife and I still laugh about it when we think about the look on their faces when they opened their ill gotten bag of "goodies"! :D Monty

This reminds me of the story of the person who didn't want to have to pay to dispose of his defunct TV, so he put it into the back of his open bed pickup and then went to the mall. When he came out, the TV was "gone", as he hoped!
Now thats a good one.
Some towns you can't put them to the curb...

I'm having a Garage Sale within the next week or two with a lot of the stuff I have picked up at the curb....$$$$$$$$$$$$

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

yesterday i found one of those blue circular coolers you take with you when you tubing on the river. right on someones curb at trash day. its mint and floats. i love curb diving!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread