DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Snaef98

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2006
Re: BESIDES M D DOES ANYONE GARBAGE PICK OR DUMPSTER DIVE FOR TREASURES new pics

What!!! you tossed out the weed and the coke? are you kidding that shits worth some $$$ you doofus lol.... id have smoked the weed and traded the coke to a deal for some finer bud.... or if you dont toke you could have just handed it in to a friend or his dealer for some green backs... oh well hind sight is 20 20 lol. :D

RatRacer said:
I used to be a "Materials Recovery, Transport, and Interment Technician" (Garbage truck driver) and have a house full of great finds. One of the good ones was a box full of embossed metal Rolling Rock Beer signs (We're only 30 miles from the brewery.) I sold them a few at a time on Ebay, and made $420.00
Other finds- 2 working lawn tractors, 14 VCRs, an Eames/Herman Miller swivel chair that I am sitting in, a cut crystal iced tea pitcher with silver plated top (In a recycling bin- crystal is NOT recyclable!) 5 gas weed trimmers, 3 lawn mowers, 2 framed Egyptian papyrus paintings, the collective works of Liszt on cassette, and 30 vintage XXX movies.

Stuff I didn't keep- a skinned sheep head, with eyes and tongue still attached, a GIANT (Like, 24 INCH!) vibrator, a sandwich bag full of low-grade weed, and 2 10cc vials of cocaine. People will throw away ANYTHING!

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: BESIDES M D DOES ANYONE GARBAGE PICK OR DUMPSTER DIVE FOR TREASURES new pics

Been reading on treasurent for a year and never posted. Now I just have to. Went trash pickin five years ago and met my wife.
She saw me digging and asked if i wanted some other stuff she would be throwing out? Guess I took it all. Sometimes i want to put
it back. But I guess I will keep her.

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains

Gratz Bluehunter thats gotta be a best find.

Umm atleast for now...Joking!!

See there bachelors now you know how to score you a woman.

Postalrevnant

jopher

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2003
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
IDX Classic SL-x2....Excalibur1000

O.K....Not too proud.....Some roadside finds that I can remember right off..?
A cast iron ,walking tractor sprinkler.
A "Sno-ler"...1950s stroller with skis and wheels....very cool.
A huge turn of the century cast iron sausage press.
A Craftsman tool box full of tools.
A 52"big screen T.V....gave it to a buddy for his garage....works great!
A nice Tasco telescope with tripod.
Two mens GT Outback mountain bikes and a womans Schwinn all attatched together with a Reese bike carrier hitch!
All legit thrown to the curb treasures!

gold-digger

Jul 4, 2006
Gulf Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excals & Quattro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I picked up a antique wall clock someone was trashing... and when I had a garage sale a few weeks later, someone paid me 75.00 for it.

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Here's some stuff I found in the dumpster behind my work.

Attachments

• My dumpster finds 001.jpg
    My dumpster finds 001.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 14,195
  • My dumpster finds 006.jpg
    My dumpster finds 006.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 14,476
  • My dumpster finds 005.jpg
    My dumpster finds 005.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 13,874
  • My dumpster finds 004.jpg
    My dumpster finds 004.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 13,940
  • My dumpster finds 003.jpg
    My dumpster finds 003.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 13,963
  • My dumpster finds 002.jpg
    My dumpster finds 002.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 14,070

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

more pics

Attachments

• My dumpster finds 012.jpg
    My dumpster finds 012.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 13,594
  • My dumpster finds 011.jpg
    My dumpster finds 011.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 13,632
  • My dumpster finds 010.jpg
    My dumpster finds 010.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 13,691
  • My dumpster finds 009.jpg
    My dumpster finds 009.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 13,762
  • My dumpster finds 008.jpg
    My dumpster finds 008.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 13,771
  • My dumpster finds 007.jpg
    My dumpster finds 007.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 14,450

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

a few more

Attachments

• My dumpster finds 018.jpg
    My dumpster finds 018.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 13,431
  • My dumpster finds 017.jpg
    My dumpster finds 017.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 13,372
  • My dumpster finds 016.jpg
    My dumpster finds 016.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 13,419
  • My dumpster finds 015.jpg
    My dumpster finds 015.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 13,461
  • My dumpster finds 014.jpg
    My dumpster finds 014.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 13,526
  • My dumpster finds 013.jpg
    My dumpster finds 013.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 13,574

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

last one

Attachments

• My dumpster finds 019.jpg
    My dumpster finds 019.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 13,667

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A furniture store. We share the building with a pawn shop. All the coins that were in holders came that way. My coworker got about as much as I did. I don't know if the pawn shop owner threw the stuff away or if he wasn't interested in the stuff and the person trying to pawn the stuff just chucked it.

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KOOL FINDS

If I posted pics of 1/10 of what I've found you would be here all night looking at them...
I use to have 2 garage sales a year back about 10 -14 years ago. 1 in the spring and 1 in the fall. I aveage 2000.00 each 1 just from the trash....

R

RangerGal

Do I dumpster dive? Sit back, this could be a long but interesting story!
Yes, I started by looking for aluminum cans when I was in college, to pay for beer and ciggs.
One day I discovered that my local "big garbage night" was well worth the trudge out to the richer part of town. I bumped into a friend I hadn't seen in years, who told me that he was doing it as a summer job; he was selling at a flea market on each Wednesday, and making himself $600 a week, paying for the van, and a garage to store all the junk in. That was over 20 years ago! He eventually hired a helper to sell all of it for him, too.

Since then I've been bitten pretty hard by the dumpster bug.
Last year I netted around $2000 on my finds by selling on eBay.
Here is just a portion of the things I've found:

At least 10 working VCRs
5 or six working lamps, 1 of which is a nice desk lamp on Hubbie's desk
1 lava lamp, working
several old telephone tables, in use at home, just a polish and viola' perfect!
book cases, in use in my computer room
2 Anne Klein Watches
1 Movado Gold-tone Watch lookalike, complete with real box and forged papers
Several computers, needing work/parts but useful as storage servers
6 monitors, one of which I'm using, all of which worked
4 or 5 official baseball/football t-shirts, pants, jerseys, hats
Kid's Gap Leather Jacket
tons of costume jewelry
Computer printers, some working , some not
clothing butler
assorted vases and potting supplies
all sorts of nice women's clothing, some of which I kept, the rest goes to Salvation Army (for a tax deduction!)
1 wooden cabinet Kenwood stereo that I took apart, cleaned, polished and sold for $200 bucks on eBay
1 crappy Sears brand electric guitar (I'm redoing its insides, replaced the machines and repainting it)
assorted artwork, including 1 homemade ceramic ashtray that is now a decorative catfood bowl
all my ashtrays, including 2 crystal ones
assorted candles (unopened),candle holders, candelabra, and 1 candle chandelier of wrought iron that I sold on eBay
I could go on forever, but:
My Prize Finds:
1 Star Trek Trading Card of "Q", signed in person by the actor in a special acrylic frame with brass plates indicating serial # and authenticity
1 Gold plated Star Trek Next Generation Beeping Comm Badge
And the money:
Here's a lesson in garbage diving - when things look bleak, keep looking! I was out looking through bags and bags of romance/mystery trash novels (you can actually selll these too, I'm told they're quite collectible- or trade them for book you want at your local used bookstore!) I hate the darn things, but it pays to look at every book. You never know when you'll find one signed, or perhaps you might find some thing pressed in the book that might be interesting.
So I kept opening bags, tossing out cruddy books, when I found a book on anatomy - interesting, it seemed to be made for nursing training in a college. I stood flipping through the pages, when I hit paydirt. Over flipped the page, and WOW! Bills, $20 bills! I had to look around to see if anyone was looking. nope!
$300 total. What a haul!
So remember, leaf through those books. You never know what you might find!

I continue to root through dumpsters and curbsides.
'Fraid I'll never get it outtah my system. :)

zootman

Feb 1, 2006
Hunterdon County, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites, M6, Classic III, 5900 DI Pro Plus

My best, 1962 Fender Telecaster with case that I sold to a dealer for a grand and he didnt even play it. Just opened the case and handed me the money! Lots of yard tractors and mowers, stereo speakers. Garbage pick up week is a beautiful thing! My brother refers to us as the second hand yuppies.
Zootman

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dont dumpster dive but i do old reaitave house dive
found in a cralw space in my grandmothers house:
old toy gun
new change
old metal toy shovel
a ton of old marbles (including a superman shooter)

knapper

Jun 25, 2006
atlanta ga
Detector(s) used
IDX CLASSIC , SURFMASTER PI

was on the river swinging along a path and noticed some color in the tree next to the river the chatoochie damn if there wasent a inflatable boat hung in the tree got it down and it had one small hole in the outer part patched it and now iam a boat owner you would be suprised at what i find along the side of the road haven't found a body as yet but i will mike in atlanta ;D

diggerodell

Jul 3, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV

It just burns me that trash dumps everywhere, I guess, have the policy NO SALVAGE in this day and age of supposed "recyle for the good of the planet". How hypocritical that is! I know people in my neighborhood that totally disregard the no salvage policy and take what they need from the city dump in plain view of the city worker. So I suppose it isn't enforced, at least not here. But I would not dare go against the policy because I have the feeling that if anyone was to get caught and charged with theft, it would be me. My opinion is, however, that the recyclers are more moral that those who institute the No Salvage policy.

hookedonhunts

Apr 5, 2006
Illinois

Great stories, my brother took me to a dump a few times, but we only looked for bicycle parts for his shop. By the number of replies, this should probably have it own spot.lol
LeAnn

rdj

Greenie
Sep 14, 2005

First post but this forum has to be one of the best yet. Not exactly what ya'll have been writing about but- my brother got backed into a corner and had to find some work to quite his wife down. A man called him and said he wanted his basement cleaned out and all the junk hauled to the dump - he was tired of fighting with his wife about all his clutter. Bill asked him a couple of times if there wasn't anything he wanted to keep. His answer was the same each time, "No, the wife wants it clean". My brother hauled some of the stuff to my Dads'. There were several electrical tools, a weedeater, edger, an old rototiller, a bunch of hand tools, just all kinds of stuff the man had stored away. I've forgotten most all of it BUT the thing I remember most was a set of gas headlights for an old car. An old Rolls Royce. The name was embossed on the lights and it still had the copper pigtails for the gas hook up. My brother died before he sold them and his widow got them. I always wondered what they sold for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread