DUMPSTER DIVING GARBAGE PICKING READ & SEE WHAT IS FOUND HERE UPDATED 2012

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
Re: BESIDES M D DOES ANYONE GARBAGE PICK OR DUMPSTER DIVE FOR TREASURES new pics

Msgtusaf, that story sounds like a double standard to me. I thought once you put something in the garbage, Law Enforcement did not need a search warrant to go through it. Now, the police bust two guys for taking stuff out of a dumpster?

beancounter

Greenie
Jul 18, 2006
zephyrhills, fl
Detector(s) used
mpx digital, ace 250
Re: BESIDES M D DOES ANYONE GARBAGE PICK OR DUMPSTER DIVE FOR TREASURES new pics

When I was younger, in the 1960's, My mom and aunt would go ally picking. Even after all this time they still laugh at all the adventures they had. anyway One large pick-up day my mom could not believe all the stuff people threw out, we got dressers and tables and lamps, all in one day. Well she was so excited we went out beyond our own part of town and saw a large pile of stuff she jumped out and "stacked her claim" until she could expore the pile. Several people came by wanting a chance at the pile. She didn't know what it was at the time but it was big and metal. Turns out it was one of those mail boxes, she just laughs when she tells that story. We did find an old wicker wheel chair, it was the coolest looking thing. My brother still carries on the family tradition, he has found a lot of good expensive things that he sells on e-bay. even a real Rolex that had diamonds, maybe someone thought it was just a knock off and tossed it.
Me, I have found my share of stuff usually while walking my dog when I lived in an apartment complex. Your right about the things that college kids through out when the term is over. Stuff that their parents knew they needed. Thankfully they knew the stuff was still good and they just pile it along side of the dumpster (I don't think I could or would climb in one) I lived in a large complex that had twenty different dump stations. I retrieved a toaster oven(still in box) , vacuums , computer monitors, even though I didn't take it because of space, there was a brass bed frame. Lots of bookcases and storage boxes. I never thought to look through the couches for change or lost jewelry. I didn't need them so I left them for others and usually by the evening everything was gone.
I now live in the country and what I can't stand is people from the city driving out and dumping their old sofas and beds etc... on the side of our roads. We then have to take them to the dump. Just find a dumpster in a big complex, please. Some say "well that is against the law" well so is "dumping" it in the country.

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow some more good stories..

Thanks and keep'em coming....

knapper

Jun 25, 2006
atlanta ga
Detector(s) used
IDX CLASSIC , SURFMASTER PI

one thing i love to collect is hats along side the road when i go to daytona for bike week i look for treasures that drunk bikers louse while riding there harleys i have over 1000 hats once you warsh them there like new and every one of them was somone's favirot hat mike in atlanta

Attachments

• hats.jpg
    hats.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 4,000

Glsfutrs

Mar 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster 6000/Di

This is my first post as well. I come from a family of "pack-rats". I've been told that my clinging like habits come naturally, and am willing to accept that and live with it!
The funny thing is, is that I married a woman who's completely the opposite in this respect. It surely makes for a comedy show come junk collection day every 2 times a year. She puts stuff out at the curbside at dusk and I bring it back inside when it gets dark...I wonder what she thinks when she sees alot of the "prized possesions reappear weeks later...always remember - One mans trash is another mans gold !!

edgemano

Apr 11, 2006
ontario NY

I am on the diving team some pic's

Attachments

• ~max0002 old coins.JPG
    ~max0002 old coins.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 3,938
  • DCP_0005 silver 50%.JPG
    DCP_0005 silver 50%.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 3,866
  • DCP_0005 silver 50%.JPG
    DCP_0005 silver 50%.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 3,850
  • ~max0002 old coins.JPG
    ~max0002 old coins.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 3,908

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazing trash find!

A few years back an elderly neighbor of mine died of cancer. A few months later her husband died of a broken heart. The children sold the home. Before settlement they cleaned out the house. I was walking by all of the trash and I noticed 5 or six large cardboard boxes. My curiousity got the best of me. I opened the boxes and found hundreds of LP's and 78 RPM records. Many were in there original cases! Then I opened another, smaller box and found what you see pictured. A complete set of proof silver commerative "Men in Space" coins, as well as a complete gold plated proof set!! In addition there was an incomplete set of Civil War commerative gold plated coins, a WWI surveilance map of Wiesbaden, Germany and some other assorted trinkets. I called the kids and they said I could keep it all. I sold the records for next to nothing, as ebay had not yet taken off, but I sill have the coins and the map!

Attachments

• 2006_0304Image0005.JPG
    2006_0304Image0005.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 3,808
  • 2006_0518Image0009.JPG
    2006_0518Image0009.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 3,814
  • 2006_0518Image0005.JPG
    2006_0518Image0005.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 3,847
  • 2006_0518Image0001.JPG
    2006_0518Image0001.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 3,855

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

edgemano said:
I am on the diving team some pic's

That silverware looks like Towle's "Old Master" pattern. If it is, it's sterling. Very cool!

HH
Nan

mr.theman

Aug 29, 2006
McAlester, OK

ringding said:
Msgtusaf, that story sounds like a double standard to me. I thought once you put something in the garbage, Law Enforcement did not need a search warrant to go through it. Now, the police bust two guys for taking stuff out of a dumpster?

According to city code where I work (and I believe it is the same in most places) once garbage is placed out for collection it is technically the property of the City. It may be different in places where the garbage service is contracted out to private companies.

HH
Mr.T

mr.theman

Aug 29, 2006
McAlester, OK

I dive every day! I work the back of a garbage truck and there is no better job for anyone who loves to find stuff. You name it I have probably found it in the last five years, except a MD (but I did buy my first one with stuff I found in the trash). I have made several great finds and it would be hard to classify one as my best. I have found probably close to $500 cash since I started with the biggest wad being $140. Found a German competition air pistol that I traded for a 1950 Ford truck ( a builder, doesn't run, same body as the one in my avatar). Found an Ibanez 4 string bass w/o a scratch on it and a Peavey amp w/a 15" sub. I have made probably close to $8,000 selling stuff at garage sales, Ebay, Pawn shops, ect. Plus I make a great wage with awesome benefits and only work an average of 25 hrs per wk and get paid for 40 (go home when we get done) ;D

Happy Diving
Mr.T

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

My secret spot is Pier 1 Imports. They throw out things like you would not believe on a consistent basis. I discovered this several years ago when looking for cardboard boxes - my wife and I were about to move.

Upon looking in the dumpster, there were several product boxes that were slightly crushed or the wrapping damaged. To make a long story short, we came home with 6 or 7 solid brass candlestick holders, some crystal items, stoneware, and even some nice pillows in addition to the three dozen or so broken down cardboard boxes that we needed for our move.

Several years later, another move came up. This time in a different city. Again, I went to Pier 1 Imports not even remembering what had happened 5 years earlier and sure enough, more perfect condition items.

Worth checking out if you dare :-)

Pcolaboy

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

;)

OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Recovered before being put into a dumpster...SOLD for $10.50

Attachments

• DICK TRACY BOOK.jpg
    DICK TRACY BOOK.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 3,704
OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Recovered before being put into a dumpster...SOLD for $ 256.99

Attachments

• comic MR D A.jpg
    comic MR D A.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 3,720
OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Recovered before being put into a dumpster...SOLD for $14.98

Attachments

• comic special agent.jpg
    comic special agent.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 3,662
OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Recovered before being put into a dumpster...SOLD for $208.85

Attachments

• comic1.jpg
    comic1.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 3,659
OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Recovered before being put into a dumpster...SOLD for $201.50

Attachments

• crackajack.jpg
    crackajack.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 3,624
OP
OP
DPBOB

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AMERICAN GIRL DOLL CLOTHES
Saved these from the garbage truck and SOLD them on ebay for $ 227.51

Attachments

• american girl clothes.JPG
    american girl clothes.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 3,692

Salvager

Sep 4, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite / Explorer II
Re: BESIDES M D DOES ANYONE GARBAGE PICK OR DUMPSTER DIVE FOR TREASURES cool stu

You yanks really do have some valuble rubbish!!!
It's good to see that it's all going to a nice home!

lostdutchman

Sep 22, 2006
Re: BESIDES M D DOES ANYONE GARBAGE PICK OR DUMPSTER DIVE FOR TREASURES cool stuff

On dumpster dives I have found:
signed and numbered book by an Army Dr. who served during the pacification of the Native Tribes in Arizona. (Dr. Corbusier).
an old check box with $27 dollars in it.
Cigar box with a bunch of "peepers" (for lack of a better word) in it. The peepers were little "monocular" things that when you look into them, there were woman (look like from the 20's or 30's) in various provacative nude poses.
And a ton of other great "Junk" ...Guess I got the dump diving bug from grandma in Oklahoma. It was one of her favorite pasttimes and Its been a hobby of mine since. (Drove my wife Crazy)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions