Eagles and SE Native Americans

urbantreasure

Jun 7, 2013
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This post is actually in response to a now closed thread regarding the controversy surrounding Eagle and /or Thunderbird fake artifacts. Though I know nothing of the validity of any such artifacts, I do know that Eagles were very important to certain Southeastern tribal cultures. If you go to Google Earth and type in these coordinates: 37 25'19.1"N 122 05' 06"W (Old Federal Road, Ball Ground GA) Look to the left and you will see an amazing eagle beak land outline / effigy. The County actually calls it the Eagles Beak Property and is turning it into a park. As far as anyone knows the property has had that appearance for a very long time.

Below is an interesting tidbit re an actual bird effigy in the SE:
Rock Eagle Effigy Mound is an archaeological site in Putnam County, Georgia, U.S.A. estimated to have been constructed 1,000 to 3,000 years ago. The earthwork was built up of thousands of pieces of quartzite laid in the mounded shape of a large bird (102 ft long from head to tail, and 120 ft wide from wing tip to wing tip). Although it is most often referred to as an eagle, scholars do not know exactly what type of bird the original builders intended to portray. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) because of its significance. The University of Georgia administers the site. It uses much of the adjoining land for a 4-H camp, with cottages and other buildings, and day and residential environmental education.
What prompted the early inhabitants of Middle Georgia, who lived in a time long before the rise of the later Mississippian, Creek and Cherokee cultures, to build these massive effigy mounds is still something of a mystery. They obviously hold ceremonial significance and the Rock Eagle seems to have been expanded from a large dome-

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen it on the web but havent ever visited it. I believe it is the only one like it ever found.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you read a little further into The Rock Eagle effigy mound and also view archaeological reports .. it starts to become evident.. at least in my mind that it is a depiction of a buzzard not an eagle... and is associated with the southeastern ceremonial complex...also known as the Southeastern death cult and sometimes referred to as the Buzzard Cult..... along with the other effigy mound in the same county.
The buzzard was a symbol of death and archaeologists have found evidence of at least one human cremation on top of that mound.

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
img165.jpeg

4858602926_0609c2b051_z.jpeg

OP
OP
U

urbantreasure

Jun 7, 2013
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess Rock Buzzard Effigy Mound just doesn't sound as appealing.

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
second photograph is a wonderful example of looting.
that is what it looks like..

it appears someone dug a trench lengthwise in the center of the bird...one stone knife found...how sad.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some folks apparently also belived they were sure gold Treasure was burried under it.

OP
OP
U

urbantreasure

Jun 7, 2013
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
U

urbantreasure

Jun 7, 2013
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eagle

I have driven by the property in the Google Earth photo, several times. It is farmland with the Etowah River running around it. Not sure about looting or trench cutting but I expect there will be a lot more disturbance since the county is going to put a very large park there.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The eagle is also sacred for the western tribes as well. Just in case you didn't know. Not even supposed to have in possession an eagle feather unless Native American. They are used in ceremonial dress and rituals.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some tribes believe the eagle is a direct connection to the spirit world where the sun is at the center... almost sounds like astrology don't it?

OP
OP
U

urbantreasure

Jun 7, 2013
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the blindness of the uneducated mind never ceases to amaze.

OP
OP
U

urbantreasure

Jun 7, 2013
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The blindness of the uneducated mind posting was in reference to people digging up effigies and mounds to find gold!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The blindness of the uneducated mind posting was in reference to people digging up effigies and mounds to find gold!

I hope you didn't think I was opposing you in that way.
This was a great post on a a worthy subject.. I just tossed in a little more info on that particular Counties mounds.

OP
OP
U

urbantreasure

Jun 7, 2013
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I am sure you know, the SECC was not a single entity but encompassed and included many manifestations of the Mississippian Period. Nor was it a cult in the true sense of the modern word.

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The eagle is also sacred for the western tribes as well. Just in case you didn't know. Not even supposed to have in possession an eagle feather unless Native American. They are used in ceremonial dress and rituals.

even a native American best have the correct numbers an papers on a feather...highly restricted objects...

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its illegal here to have a Hawk feather in your hands. They will lock you up fast for having one they figure you probably killed it. I dont pick up feathers if I see one.

OP
OP
U

urbantreasure

Jun 7, 2013
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well anyway, I guess it is surprising that there are not more bird type artifacts found in the SE since birds of many types were important. However, bird symbolism was used on pottery and petroglyphs. I recently made a trip to Track Rock Gap (bird and animal tracks in soft soapstone, very old) which is a sacred site for my ancestors and I could not even get in. The National Park Service has let it become overgrown to keep people out. Because of looters and vandals a site that is supposed to be open to the public is virtually impossible to get to. Sad because ever person of Native American descent is allowed the right to visit any site considered sacred regardless of tribal affiliation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread