Eagles and SE Native Americans

urbantreasure

Jun 7, 2013
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This post is actually in response to a now closed thread regarding the controversy surrounding Eagle and /or Thunderbird fake artifacts. Though I know nothing of the validity of any such artifacts, I do know that Eagles were very important to certain Southeastern tribal cultures. If you go to Google Earth and type in these coordinates: 37 25'19.1"N 122 05' 06"W (Old Federal Road, Ball Ground GA) Look to the left and you will see an amazing eagle beak land outline / effigy. The County actually calls it the Eagles Beak Property and is turning it into a park. As far as anyone knows the property has had that appearance for a very long time.

Below is an interesting tidbit re an actual bird effigy in the SE:
Rock Eagle Effigy Mound is an archaeological site in Putnam County, Georgia, U.S.A. estimated to have been constructed 1,000 to 3,000 years ago. The earthwork was built up of thousands of pieces of quartzite laid in the mounded shape of a large bird (102 ft long from head to tail, and 120 ft wide from wing tip to wing tip). Although it is most often referred to as an eagle, scholars do not know exactly what type of bird the original builders intended to portray. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (NRHP) because of its significance. The University of Georgia administers the site. It uses much of the adjoining land for a 4-H camp, with cottages and other buildings, and day and residential environmental education.
What prompted the early inhabitants of Middle Georgia, who lived in a time long before the rise of the later Mississippian, Creek and Cherokee cultures, to build these massive effigy mounds is still something of a mystery. They obviously hold ceremonial significance and the Rock Eagle seems to have been expanded from a large dome-

Upvote 0
OP
OP
U

urbantreasure

Jun 7, 2013
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not the Rock Effigy. Track Rock Gap in Blairsville, GA. Controversy re Richard Thornton who claimed that Track Rock is really Mayan rather than Native American. The tribes of the Cherokee (Oklahoma and NC) as well as the Muscogee Creeks and the Natl Park Service were trying to keep the Travel Channel and History Channel from filming in there. You can read about some of it here if you like:

Richard Thornton viewpoint: sustainable-america-series-part-3-discovery-pre-columbian-maya-mountain-village-north-america

Natl Park Service viewpoint: The Society for Georgia Archaeology » Track Rock Gap and the Forest Service

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ROCK_HAWK_Effigy_26_Trails_Indian_Mounds_Eatonton_Georgia_2C_Rock_Hawk_Putnam_County_GA.jpeg

OP
OP
U

urbantreasure

Jun 7, 2013
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, I was talking about Track Rock Gap in the last two posts.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've never understood why people looted the graves, but then isn't that what archaeologists do. Only difference is that one does it for lots of money. The other gets little money, but preserves the artifacts. Of course one is legal and the other isn't.
No offense meant to either of them. Just a comparison.
Then if while detecting in a spot that's got trash and I find an old twist cap that'd be considered vandalism and told to put back or pay heavy penalties. Ughhhh. Is it because I wouldn't get paid to preserve this old piece of trash?

OP
OP
U

urbantreasure

Jun 7, 2013
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly. I know Washington state has some absurd rule that even if hunting on private property, with permission, the MD'er must notify the state prior to digging! This is whether or not there are even any known artifacts present.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not the Rock Effigy. Track Rock Gap in Blairsville, GA. Controversy re Richard Thornton who claimed that Track Rock is really Mayan rather than Native American. The tribes of the Cherokee (Oklahoma and NC) as well as the Muscogee Creeks and the Natl Park Service were trying to keep the Travel Channel and History Channel from filming in there. You can read about some of it here if you like:

Richard Thornton viewpoint: sustainable-america-series-part-3-discovery-pre-columbian-maya-mountain-village-north-america

Natl Park Service viewpoint: The Society for Georgia Archaeology » Track Rock Gap and the Forest Service

Thanks for the thread. Yes, I think the History Channel puts out some very speculative stuff. Which is fine, if it is also pointed out how little, if any, evidence there is to support the speculation. But, it's not as entertaining to debunk speculation, so you usually see an overwhelming preponderance of the speculation alone. I'm very open minded, but people should keep the sites in mind, first and foremost, before you focus extra attention on them. In particular if one is going to attach an exciting new interpretation to the site in question. Sorry to hear the site was closed.

OP
OP
U

urbantreasure

Jun 7, 2013
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said. It may not be closed exactly but the Track Rock Site is being left to overgrow (go back to nature) to discourage hikers, t.v. people and looters from trampling all over. Sort of like that old slogan that one bad apple spoils the whole bunch. Meaning a few ruin it for the rest of us.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread