Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just dug this and it may be a rarer one. From what I can find its a older first class spoon. Hoping someone can date it. It's made by Ellington & co. and it's has the date letter K which makes it a early one. Thanks for looking! [emoji2]
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437009338.395784.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437009349.772609.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437009360.661067.jpg

Upvote 21

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was it all three? I thought it was just two of them she was on. :dontknow:

Yes, she was on all three, but I made a mistake by saying all three sank, the Olympic merely flooded two compartments when it collided with HMS Hawke in 1911, but the ship survived. Jessop was aboard however and survived. This was the first disaster she was a part of, before the Titanic disaster.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sent photo and info to the "SS ATLANTIC heritage park and museum society" and they are positive it's off the ship and are asking if I'd donate it to the museum. What's some of your thoughts on me donating it?

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I just read the whole story including that of Rev. Ancient. Wow! If only that spoon could talk!! I think that is definitely a Banner find and will put my vote in. I think you should feel honored to be able to donate that spoon to their museum. Hopefully they will pay to have the damage from digging it out from under the roots repaired. If you do donate it to the museum please post some follow up pics of it on display there. I hope some day to get to Nova Scotia now to visit that museum and see the spoon. :thumbsup:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:
OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just read the whole story including that of Rev. Ancient. Wow! If only that spoon could talk!! I think that is definitely a Banner find and will put my vote in. I think you should feel honored to be able to donate that spoon to their museum. Hopefully they will pay to have the damage from digging it out from under the roots repaired. If you do donate it to the museum please post some follow up pics of it on display there. I hope some day to get to Nova Scotia now to visit that museum and see the spoon. :thumbsup:

I don't think I ever got a banner nomination before which is cool. It was a really historic marine disaster. Just got over shadowed by the titanic sinking which is understandable. What the titanic sinking is historically to us the ss Atlantic sinking was the people of the past's "titanic". If that makes any sense. [emoji2]

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Historic find. I would continue to search the area for more possible artifacts. As far as donating to a museum you have to think who might enjoy it more and if current history is any indicator museums can be poor stewards. It may end up locked away to never be seen again or magically disappear .
Just google relics or artifacts missing from museums
or
Google what happened to all the Jamestown artifacts in the flood.

Nice spoon!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent photo and info to the "SS ATLANTIC heritage park and museum society" and they are positive it's off the ship and are asking if I'd donate it to the museum. What's some of your thoughts on me donating it?

Very cool find!

I would never donate a great find, but I would consider a longtime loan if they wanted to keep it in a locked display case. That to me sounds like a fair balance, and if that offer was rejected then you know it's just more about getting something for free than the purpose of displaying history.

PS: I would not even consider loaning any of my best or fav. finds, because like said in the post above, there's no real guarantee something won't happen if it's not in your possession.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From the back cover of the Greg Cochkanoff book:

"This was the fate of the S.S. Atlantic, the second ship built by the White Star Line. Constructed forty-two years before the RMS Titanic, the S.S. Atlantic completed eighteen trans-Atlantic crossings before running aground off the coast of Nova Scotia on April 1, 1873. The worst trans-Atlantic marine disaster of the nineteenth century, the sinking of the Atlantic killed over half the nearly 1000 people on board."

From a review of the book:

"Excellent photos, drawings and recovered artifacts from the S.S. ATLANTIC that was wrecked off the shores of Halifax, N.S."

I have a copy of the book on order.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the back cover of the Greg Cochkanoff book:

"This was the fate of the S.S. Atlantic, the second ship built by the White Star Line. Constructed forty-two years before the RMS Titanic, the S.S. Atlantic completed eighteen trans-Atlantic crossings before running aground off the coast of Nova Scotia on April 1, 1873. The worst trans-Atlantic marine disaster of the nineteenth century, the sinking of the Atlantic killed over half the nearly 1000 people on board."

From a review of the book:

"Excellent photos, drawings and recovered artifacts from the S.S. ATLANTIC that was wrecked off the shores of Halifax, N.S."

I have a copy of the book on order.

Greg stayed with me a couple of times to do a 2-3 day hunt. Good guy and gone much to soon. I still laugh... every time I would comment how dirty we were getting the car he'd look at me and say.... "It's only a rental."

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did Greg do land detecting too? The About the Author says he was into scuba diving and exploring shipwrecks. Do you know his co-author Bob Chaulk?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope this find gets a little more love--it's an artifact from the the worst trans-Atlantic marine disaster of the nineteenth century, the sinking of the Atlantic killed over half the nearly 1000 people on board. It's like finding an artifact from the Titanic, except older. If you haven't done so please read the History link provided by the OP...its a fascinating and tragic read. This is a a Banner find folks--like finding something from the Franklin Expedition to find the Northwest Passage.

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hope this find gets a little more love--it's an artifact from the the worst trans-Atlantic marine disaster of the nineteenth century, the sinking of the Atlantic killed over half the nearly 1000 people on board. It's like finding an artifact from the Titanic, except older. If you haven't done so please read the History link provided by the OP...its a fascinating and tragic read. This is a a Banner find folks--like finding something from the Franklin Expedition to find the Northwest Passage.

I'm thinking of putting better pictures up and maybe putting it on "best finds" threads under a different title. I know it's only a plated spoon but I'm glad you see the historical value in it as well. Besides the fact it was on the Atlantic I can't find examples of early first class white star line flatware anywhere but maybe a souvenir spoon of some kind.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking of putting better pictures up and maybe putting it on "best finds" threads under a different title. I know it's only a plated spoon but I'm glad you see the historical value in it as well. Besides the fact it was on the Atlantic I can't find examples of early first class white star line flatware anywhere but maybe a souvenir spoon of some kind.

That fact it's plated really doesn't make much difference. Just look at the best of the best military buttons... they are also plated. Sure it was not the best quality spoon on the ship at the time, but that doesn't really make much of a difference because the value is all in the history. Even if it was solid silver and had a makers mark, that would be nice and add a little but I don't think anything close to a game charger for it.

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That fact it's plated really doesn't make much difference. Just look at the best of the best military buttons... they are also plated. Sure it was not the best quality spoon on the ship at the time, but that doesn't really make much of a difference because the value is all in the history. Even if it was solid silver and had a makers mark, that would be nice and add a little but I don't think anything close to a game charger for it.

What I could find on all the cutlery on all white star line ships including the titanic is that all the cutlery in first class was top quality silver plate. Not saying there may have been exceptions for very special guests or something but it was the best of the best silver plate. I wonder if that's why it held up so well underground for so long. The maker of the spoon Elkington even invented it. I dug spoons of close to the same age and mostly all had no silver plate left on them. Just the copper base metal.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I could find on all the cutlery on all white star line ships including the titanic is that all the cutlery in first class was top quality silver plate. Not saying there may have been exceptions for very special guests or something but it was the best of the best silver plate. I wonder if that's why it held up so well underground for so long. The maker of the spoon Elkington even invented it. I dug spoons of close to the same age and mostly all had no silver plate left on them. Just the copper base metal.

Well there you go. The fact it's plated doesn't really take anything away from it because that is what would be expected, and anything better would just be a great exception. The quality of the spoon but no doubt the ground conditions and maybe a little luck if you believe that plays a roll in the condition.

Last edited:

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been so focused on the history of this spoon and it being an artifact with provenance from the SS Atlantic that I honestly didn't pay too much attention to the condition of spoon. And yes like the best quality buttons made, the silver-plate is still remarkable--yet another reason why it deserves to be up on the Banner.

I have had very good success with Aluminum Jelly on buttons and spoons really cleaning and bringing out all the detail. Just don't leave it on for very long. With the quality silver-plate that you have here a little baking soda and water will probably do well if you haven't already done so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions