Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just dug this and it may be a rarer one. From what I can find its a older first class spoon. Hoping someone can date it. It's made by Ellington & co. and it's has the date letter K which makes it a early one. Thanks for looking! [emoji2]
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437009338.395784.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437009349.772609.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437009360.661067.jpg

Upvote 21
OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been so focused on the history of this spoon and it being an artifact with provenance from the SS Atlantic that I honestly didn't pay too much attention to the condition of spoon. And yes like the best quality buttons made, the silver-plate is still remarkable--yet another reason why it deserves to be up on the Banner.

I have had very good success with Aluminum Jelly on buttons and spoons really cleaning and bringing out all the detail. Just don't leave it on for very long. With the quality silver-plate that you have here a little baking soda and water will probably do well if you haven't already done so.

I haven't tried to clean it at all besides the initial rinse off when I got home not knowing anything about it. I would like to do something though but was scared I may damage it. The baking soda may work. What's the exact process?

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely a banner find!!

Thank you. I'm surprised hearing the word banner. If anyone seen the harsh hunting conditions that I found it in they would be shocked. I was on my hands and knees under trees and got it beside a cellar hole between a massive tree root and boulder. I would have took a photo of it dug out but just thought a regular spoon and threw it in my back back.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't tried to clean it at all besides the initial rinse off when I got home not knowing anything about it. I would like to do something though but was scared I may damage it. The baking soda may work. What's the exact process?

Baking soda won't hurt it (and the Aluminum Jelly probably won't either, but try the baking soda first). Just mix up a paste with some water till it's not runny in a little cup. Then you can rub it on the spoon with your fingers or a tooth brush, rinse with cold water, repeat till the spoon is nice and clean. :thumbsup:

If there's crud still left after that the Aluminum Jelly (not Naval Jelly!) will remove it pretty quickly. You can always try it on a small spot first.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just warm soapy water to remove any dirt might get it t a place you'll be happy with. It looks pretty good as is.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great pics! :thumbsup: The detail in the flag is beautiful and the various marks are now very legible. The silver-plate has held up remarkably well for a spoon that is close to 150 years old!

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointerβ€Ž/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great save of history.

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And this is interesting...
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437359521.982702.jpg

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I read that too on the Wiki page...5 million pounds Sterling in 1873 was a small fortune! I see it's referenced as "dubious" so it'll be interesting to see what the Cochkanoff book says regarding the gold. One would think even in 1873 you wouldn't be able to just walk off with that much gold without an inquiry. :dontknow:

Also of note: Artifacts recovered from several salvage operations are on display at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a really clear shot of the marks...
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437396690.029965.jpg

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I take it the first mark is 1A which represents the quality (the highest), do you know what the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th marks represent? I think you said the K is a date code. And the last mark is the maker's mark.

That is a a nice clear pic and a testament of the level of detail and care that was put into making the silverware for the First Class passengers of the White Star Line's Victorian-era luxury liner the SS Atlantic. Thanks!

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I take it the first mark is 1A which represents the quality (the highest), do you know what the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th marks represent? I think you said the K is a date code. And the last mark is the maker's mark.

That is a a nice clear pic and a testament of the level of detail and care that was put into making the silverware for the First Class passengers of the White Star Line's Victorian-era luxury liner the SS Atlantic. Thanks!

The other marks were what they used to say it was silver plate. Elkington used just a single mark for the sterling silver.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was just taking a look at the dating link you provided. The diamond shaped date lozenge on your spoon according to the site dates your spoon to 1849 which can't be right. The next lozenge shape they supposedly used was a square with the corners clipped. Your other lozenges match this shape and the K in that shape refers to 1871 which I believe is the year the ship was built! But your spoon uses the older diamond shaped lozenge for the date code. Sounds like your spoon has a hallmark variant that is not noted on their site. Interesting stuff.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool, and historic find there K.
If only you get a whole day in.....

I'm going to give you a banner vote too, the pic for it should be in your post #48 Pic #3.
It's not so much a finds worth here, but the history of it.

Hope you get a day off soon.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions