Electromagnetic Silver Detectors?

Axecutioner

Nov 16, 2011
SLO, CA / LV, NV
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had this idea for a while and I figured I'd share it here to see what you all think. In vending machines and some coin counters, an electromagnet is used to detect what kind of metal a coin is made out of. Different types of metals affect the electromagnetic fields differently, so it might be possible to make and program some sort of device that can detect silver. Just pass a roll through some sort of detector and it'll tell you if there's silver in it. No need to even open the roll. This could potentially do tens of thousands of dollars in halves a day if you could dump and pick up that much, you could probably even fit an automatic roll feeder and a 'reject' bin for ones with silver in them. Even if it takes 10 seconds per roll that's $3600 an hour in halves.

I think with a design like this, there are very little (if no) moving parts, so there would be very little to break. You're searching by the roll instead of each individual coin. Thoughts? Anyone think a device like this would be possible?

Upvote 0

UNIMOG-GUY

Dec 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Some people see it as more than just a hobby. I could care less about who dumps what amounts... There are some guys who are doing large amounts but never post about it. Since in their eyes they don't need to brag or "waste" their time posting when they could be searching. Some people just want to get the maximum return for their time.

I'm still curious if anyone knows what machine the Portland mint guy is using to sort pennies?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions